BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All AlbumsBlogs Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jul-26-2012, 11:34:07 AM   #11
callaghan

United States

Default Re: Traction control problem?

Sounds similar alright, although the light doesn't stay on solidly in mine. It comes on and flickers for a while and then goes off again for a few minutes.

To be honest, the dealer thought the same think with mine initially. They were saying there was nothing in the logs and they couldn't replicate the error on test drives. I had to go in and get the manager to agree to drive the car home themselves that evening and into work the next day before they agreed that there was a problem. (I double checked that they lived a decent distance away)
Would it be possible for you to do something similar? Make sure they're taking it on a good long drive on open roads. They were initially just test driving mine around the city even though I told them it was unlikely to happen with town driving.

They've tried resetting the tracking on the steering wheel, but I was just talking to them and it happened again last night. So we're still none the wiser, although I'm still 100% convinced that it's something that happened during the service since it started on the first decent drive after I got it back.

Hopefully if they ever get to the bottom of it I'll be able to give you an idea of what to check.
Jump to top callaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-02-2012, 06:46:00 PM   #12
thebigler

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaghan View Post
Sounds similar alright, although the light doesn't stay on solidly in mine. It comes on and flickers for a while and then goes off again for a few minutes.

To be honest, the dealer thought the same think with mine initially. They were saying there was nothing in the logs and they couldn't replicate the error on test drives. I had to go in and get the manager to agree to drive the car home themselves that evening and into work the next day before they agreed that there was a problem. (I double checked that they lived a decent distance away)
Would it be possible for you to do something similar? Make sure they're taking it on a good long drive on open roads. They were initially just test driving mine around the city even though I told them it was unlikely to happen with town driving.

They've tried resetting the tracking on the steering wheel, but I was just talking to them and it happened again last night. So we're still none the wiser, although I'm still 100% convinced that it's something that happened during the service since it started on the first decent drive after I got it back.

Hopefully if they ever get to the bottom of it I'll be able to give you an idea of what to check.

I think i've finally figured it out!! I found that my left rear wheel sensor went out and I have replaced it and now I have no problems at all! not to mention I notice the SMG system is running much smoother! So far so good I suggest you try getting those checked out
Jump to top thebigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-03-2012, 08:49:42 AM   #13
callaghan

United States

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know!
I've given up on the dealer fixing it. They were clutching at straws in the end. Their last guess would have been over a grand to fix, and considering their previous guess was trying to blame my non-BMW alloys which have been perfect for over a year, I wasn't going to pay that unless I was sure it was actually the cause.
I have it book in with a local mechanic tomorrow so I'll see what he says. I've been reading from a few posts on different forums that the wheel speed sensors can get covered with metal filings etc and need to be cleaned occasionally so hopefully that might be it.
Old Fri, Aug-03-2012, 08:59:57 PM   #14
thebigler

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by callaghan View Post
Excellent! Thanks for letting me know!
I've given up on the dealer fixing it. They were clutching at straws in the end. Their last guess would have been over a grand to fix, and considering their previous guess was trying to blame my non-BMW alloys which have been perfect for over a year, I wasn't going to pay that unless I was sure it was actually the cause.
I have it book in with a local mechanic tomorrow so I'll see what he says. I've been reading from a few posts on different forums that the wheel speed sensors can get covered with metal filings etc and need to be cleaned occasionally so hopefully that might be it.
Good to hear. Hope I managed to save you some money, the new sensor for me only cost about $150 with labor included at my local mechanic
Jump to top thebigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Aug-27-2012, 03:09:19 PM   #15
callaghan

United States

Well I finally got this fixed this weekend.
It turned out it was the drive shaft that had to be replaced.
I dropped it in to the local mechanic and he had it diagnosed within a couple of hours, although it did take a couple of weeks to get the right part in.

Still, at just over 400 it was a fraction of the cost of getting it done in the dealers. Plus it turned out I got fines for late payment of toll bridge fees from when the original dealer was doing their test driving, which they then refused to pay, despite the fact that they incurred the penalty fines and never even mentioned it to me until I got the notices in the post. Needless to say, I'll never be going back to them again!!

So hopefully that'll help somebody else who has the same problem and doesn't know what to check.

Also, for anyone in Ireland, avoid Frank Keane like the plague. Their customer service is atrocious.