BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Sun, Nov-19-2017, 05:27:29 PM   #1
Weimer

United States

Default 2001 325iT S54 swap

My first thread here and one of only a few posts even though I’ve been a member for a while now reading up on info related to the E36 M3. I have had my 2001 5mt E46 touring for 10 years now and it has been dead reliable and quite a bit of fun to drive. It seems like the next step for this car is a change in attitude with bit more power via a S54 swap.

As of last week I have my local dismantler looking for a good 6spd donor M3 and have been diving into the forums to learn from those who have done this in the past. Thanks to Kaiv, Redshift and Jared’s write-up’s on this forum I have been able to gather a great deal of info and start a solid project list.

The mechanical side of this swap seems dead easy but I do have a few questions to make sure I’m on the right track:

A) Rear swap all M3 and keep the Eibach/Bilstein’s from the 325. There is reference to the 325 wheel speed sensors being too long for the M3 tone rings – is this accurate?

B) Leave the 325 front suspension understanding the downside being smaller brakes and wheel bearings as well as a slight F/R bias change with the M3 rear brakes. Depending on your source, the difference in the weight between the S54 and M54 is ~60 lbs so I don’t think the handling would be too upset.

I am contemplating keeping the current front suspension because I have less than 2k miles on fresh ZHP control arms/bushings, wheel bearings, pads/rotors and Eibach/Bilstein’s. I’d hate to throw away the $$$ but if the M3 front is the way to go then I will make it happen. The stock M3 front swaybar drops in place of the 325 piece so I can keep the balance decent with the rear swap.

C) Keep the 325 Mk60 ABS/DSC. Will this work if (in the future) I swap over the M3 front suspension/brakes? I also see mention of the need to swap to the M3 DSC if you want TPMS functionality but the 325 does not have it and I don’t need it (maybe this is an issue with the light being illuminated in the M3 cluster?).

Now the wiring is where I really get into trouble and is an area where I have very little experience (I had Markert build my E30 M52 swap harness). From what I have gathered the wiring is not too involved…but I think some of you guys are being modest when you say this... Where does one even begin to comprehend the maze of the WDS?

Here is what I have so far:

- Extend washer pump wiring to drug bin - easy
- M3 aux water pump needs one wire to IHKA and one to ground – what pin on IHKA?
- Move several pins in the E-box – which pins? – this is where I get lost…
- Add wires for ZKE or IKE – needed?

I understand that the coding for the swap will need done by someone with the skills to sync DME, IKE, EWS and LCM to make all systems happy. Is this coding done prior to starting the swap or after? It seems that those who have done the swap have started it prior to coding? If it matters, I am planning to just swap the DME and IKE, not install the “sport” button and delete the SAP.

Thanks for reading and apologies for the brain dump. Hopefully some of the above makes reasonable sense and I look forward to any information you can share to help me get this project off on the right track.

If you are still following along here are a couple of pics:

MJ
'01 325iT | manual | slicktop | Alpine
'05 330Cic | manual | ZHP | Estoril
'14 328i | manual | M sport | Estoril
Jump to top Weimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-20-2017, 09:50:30 PM   #2
nickpiper12

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 2001 325iT S54 swap

Can't wait to see this! In the process of doing the same to my SG/TR 5MT Sport Touring
Jump to top nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 10:18:02 AM   #3
Weimer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpiper12 View Post
Can't wait to see this! In the process of doing the same to my SG/TR 5MT Sport Touring
Hi Nick - thanks for the reply. I checked out your journal thread and love the Steel Gray/Tanin combo, what a great find.

I also see you have sourced a donor so the fun will begin soon. Were you able to find your donor locally? Salvage M3's are not quite as plentiful in the midwest from my searching so far. I look forward to following your progress.

MJ
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 01:51:56 PM   #4
leegf

United States

Oof, beautiful car. Searching for a 325it myself, looking forward to this build.
Jump to top leegf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 02:57:04 PM   #5
Sweet Jones

In the garage:

Mexico

gorgeous looking wagon to start this project out with. i love the mtech rear and slicktop combo, looking forward to your updates.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.

E46 touring, Version 2
S54/6 speed, polished FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator-Mishimoto radiator hoses-Mishimoto electric fan, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff and RevShift bushings, RTD mini V2 shifter and DSSR, Airlift Performance 3H suspension, Rogue Engineering RaceBrace strut bar, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, PLM SM-AFR wideband, Eonon GA7150A with front and rear cameras, Work Brombachers, Storm Motorwerks interior pieces, CSL brakes and 996 calipers, 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust, Bimmerworld Race diffuser. M3 bodywork and paint.

Jump to top Sweet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 03:45:42 PM   #6
JaredMV
Amateur Weekend Mechanic

In the garage:

United States

Following because YUM!

Jared's Daily/Track '02 M3 Convertible: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=545658
Jump to top JaredMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Nov-21-2017, 07:45:24 PM   #7
Weimer

United States

Thanks for all the kind words. This should be fun once all the pieces fall into place. Still hunting for more wiring info.

I have owned the car for 10 years now and have enjoyed every minute.

leegf - if you have not seen it, there is a "tourings for sale thread" over on E46Fanatics in the touring forum that gets some regular postings of cars people find FS around the US. Might help your search.

MJ
Old Wed, Nov-22-2017, 05:16:22 AM   #8
westopher

Canada

Wagon looks awesome! I have a 323it for my daily. I’d love to do the swap but I need to do it in the e36 first haha.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 105k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 170k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is offline   Reply With Quote