BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 09:08:59 PM   #1
nextelbuddy1

United States

Default Status gruppe bumper installation tips?

So I sold my ECS Tuning CSL bumper and purchase the status gruppe. It just arrived today and I'm already seeing that there's some obvious issues that weren't stated on their website.

I tried looking at this guide from an older thread but it doesn't look like it works anymore

http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/BMW_e4...Bumper_DIY.pdf

I have the following to shock absorbers.

qyt1 SHOCK ABSORBER FRONT LEFT 8 KM/H = 5 MPH 1 11/2001 51118195301*
qyt1 SHOCK ABSORBER FRONT RIGHT 8 KM/H = 5 MPH 1 11/2001 51118195302

And I noticed two things.... One it looks like I have to drill my own hole through the bottom of the reinforcement bar so that the bolt can pass through it...

And* My Bumper shock doesn't fit into the reinforcement area. Is it required to do more trimming in the reinforcement bar to shave it and open up the area to accept the bumper shock?

I attached some pictures for reference. The bumper shop doesn't look like it's going to fit it all without cutting out pieces.

The first pic shows that there's no bottom hole to allow the bolt to pass through. The other three pictures are showing that I have the right bumper shock and part number and then it's not going to fit your receiver carrier.

I've attached some images via Tapatalk so hopefully they appear.

Does this look pretty normal and standard for this bumper? I've also sent an email to Mike at status gruppe as well I tried searching the forms for any installation tips are guides here and there I didn't find any.

Thanks for any tips!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 10:16:12 PM   #2
PITT M3 RR
PA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Status gruppe bumper installation tips?

That protruding sleeve looks threaded, can you wind it flush?
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 10:28:16 PM   #3
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

The threaded portion of the shock can retract with an Allen key on the bottom, like this:

Mods: WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, , CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 04:10:20 AM   #4
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr M3an M3 View Post

The threaded portion of the shock can retract with an Allen key on the bottom, like this:

Unfortunately the threaded portion must be seized... My bumper shock is an original bumper shock from 2003 because I have a sedan.... I found an allen head that fit perfectly with no slack but when I try to turn it it just rounded out the insides

So I will go ahead and just use a cut off wheel and just cut off the threaded portion to see if it'll fit...

And another thing that I'm confused about is that once I can get the bumper shock into the carrier.... There's only one hole that's the threaded hole on top of the carrier but there's no bottom hole on the bottom of the carrier for me to stick my E12 ASA bolt through to threaten to the top hole.

I asked Mike at status gruppe if I have to drill out a hole and he said no you don't use those two long bolts so now I'm even more confused how do you secure the bumper shocks to the bumper carrier

In the attached picture I've circled the area where I was expecting there to be a hole and I was going to drill it out but I was told not to.

Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 05:52:08 AM   #5
Dr M3an M3
GroupBuyingPower@outlook. com

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy1 View Post
I asked Mike at status gruppe if I have to drill out a hole and he said no you don't use those two long bolts so now I'm even more confused how do you secure the bumper shocks to the bumper carrier
Lol, is he saying it's just "pressed to fit in" and nothing is securing it other than the FRP squeezing around the bumper shock? It's not even bolted on to the car? That wouldn't seem very secure, unless I am missing something too? I am not going to lie, that looks pretty rough on the inside.

Mods: WPC treated rod-bearings, VinceBar (weld) + Redish Plates, Full Beisan VANOS lockdown, Karbonius CSL Airbox, OE CSL Snorkel w/ working Flap, OE Map Sensor + OE Air Rail, CSL Engine management with CSL converted DME, Supersprint V1 Stepped headers w/ Oversized Section 1, SS Resonated X-Pipe section 2, RE El Diablo Muffler, BBS LMs w/ PSS, Streamline CSL Bumper, CSL style CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF CSL Bootlid, , CSL SMG Engine DME tune, CSL '255' SMG DME tune, .
Active Group-Buys (PM if Interested): OE CSL Bootlids, CSL Bumper, OE CSL Wheels, Supersprint Headers/Exhaust MEGA thread, CSL Airbox, Brembo, Cams/Pistons...and more to come!
Please PM me - In search of:
-- Wanting to Trade basically brand new Eagle Eye Smoked Reverse Trunk Lights for a pair that are Non-smoked
Jump to top Dr M3an M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 04:25:27 PM   #6
///M Dream
Real Madrid C.F.

In the garage:

United States

Damn subbed for answers. Was contemplating ordering myself one

Current: 2006 Interlagos Blue ZCP ///M3
Past: F80 M3. E46 330i ZHP. B8 S4. E92 M3. E46 M3.
Jump to top ///M Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 05:23:56 PM   #7
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Dream View Post
Damn subbed for answers. Was contemplating ordering myself one
there are obviously quite a few people that have this specific bumper judging from reading their for sale thread in the parts for sale section.

i'm hoping that someone that has installed it can offer some insight.

id love to know what type of glue was used to glue in the M3 slider brackets inside the sides of the bumper cover as well.

the Status gruppe built in carrier has 2 threaded holes and came with 2 small bolts I guess for protection... you would think that once you press in the bumper shocks into the carrier, that you would thread in the lone 10mm ASA bumper bolts to secure the bumper cover to the car but out of the box you cant because the carrier is missing 2 holes... so i thought its just as simple as drilling out 2 additional holes for the bolts to pass through but I emailed Mike again and he assured that you dont use any bolts to secure the cover to the shocks them selves (not sure why there are even threaded holes then to begin with??) he stated in another email that once you cut down the bumper shock portion that goes into the carrier that you dont do anything else with bolts. the cover literally just is press fit onto the shocks.

so that means that the bumper cover is really only secured by the side slider brackets which are only as strong as the glue you use in those brackets... then any additional set screws on the splash guards....just seems a bit unnerving driving around with a bumper cover that is realistically only secured fully by slider brackets, splash guard screws and some pressure from the carrier on the shocks.

i will take pictures and document this weekend wit how I tackle this.
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 03:58:09 AM   #8
nextelbuddy1

United States

Well so far this is been the most unfitting bumper I've ever had. I had to drill out a new hole on each side of the built-in reinforcement bar so that I can pass through the long asa bolts. The ones that status gruppe told me I didn't mean to do. They even have built-in nut inserts in the reinforcement bar to accept the bolts so why would I not do it. Well that's nut insert bolts are not very strong I don't even think they're bolts I think it's just threaded fiberglass so you can't tighten them very tight.

How to cut about a quarter of an inch off of each bumper shock on the top of the part that slides into the reinforcement bar.

Even with everything I just stood and push all the way up there still about a quarter of an inch Gap all the way across beneath the headlight trim so I'm going to have to take the bumper shocks back off and round out the three bolt holes on each bumper shock that mount to the core support and frame rails so that I can be able to push up the bumper even further.

The built-in fiberglass shelf as you call it that you mount the washer bottle on to isn't even correct. You have to cut like an inch off the washer bottle mounting points completely cutting off the bolt holes so that the washer bottle can fit far enough inside the bumper cover to fit behind the splash Shield. If you don't do this then the washer bottle will stick out too far in the splash Shield not fit.

For $700 I expected a better fitment honestly and the reinforcement bar isn't even very strong are sturdy inside the bumper cover.

I don't know how so many other people have this bumper cover and haven't said anything about how poorly it fits and how much work it needs.

Add to that that you also have to glue in the slider brackets the inside of the cover makes your fitment even more sketchy.

Tomorrow I'll work on getting the bumper shock mount holes enlarged to raise the bumper even more.for a tighter fit.

Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 05:13:18 AM   #9
JuicyM3
Popopopop

In the garage:

Australia

That's because this bumper was made for an M3, the M3s washer reservoir is different to your 330 so there's that... Do you have any pictures of the front with the bumper off? Be interesting to see the difference.

Last edited by JuicyM3; Sun, Apr-08-2018 at 05:26:03 AM.
Jump to top JuicyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-08-2018, 10:54:17 AM   #10
idntknow2005

United States

Throw it away. As a highly dissapointed owner of a status gruppe bumper, throwing it away is the best advice i have..

Maybe burn it and watch it burn...