BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > General BMW > General BMW Discussion
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

General BMW Discussion Place to discuss all things BMW. And a place for E30, E36, and E46 owners to get to know each other! BMW News

Old Wed, Jul-27-2016, 02:36:13 PM   #1
petey789

United States

Default Are salvage cars worth the hassle?

Hey here, I am pretty new to this, so bear with me. (I hope I'm putting this in the right place :P). I am looking at getting a salvage, to repair, after hearing that this is a good way to save money by some old friends that did this years ago. I know of the issues with high insurance costs etc. but considering the vehicles are so cheap, should still save money in the medium term. What do you think about taking on a project like this? Here is the one that's similar to those I've been looking at.

https://www.autoauctionmall.com/auctions/bmw

Any advice? Would you take a project like this?
Jump to top petey789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-02-2018, 08:19:18 PM   #2
Double E
Double E

United States

Default Re: Are salvage cars worth the hassle?

It depends. If you do the work, do you have any skill or tools or place to do it? if someone else is, then no, it's probably not a good path.

Most often, I see folks that have done this talk about how "minor" the issue was the totaled a car and how little they had to do to get it road worthy. Good for them but none of them describe the awful surprises and crap repair methods to repair it that are probably closer to the truth.

If you go down this path, look at what repair parts and paint will cost. If there is a potential to make this car a track car when you are done with it, that's a bonus as there WILL be someone out there as a buyer for it later.

Look for a car that is not also from a rust-prone area so as not to further complicate the situation.

A quick look for E36 M3 shows 5 available with one that is a 99 with 46K miles. That's a HOT item and it does not appear to need much. It is an auto though so it will never bring what a manual would either way. It would still be worth at least 5000 10 years from now provided it still runs and looks good.. It may take $6000 to get it that way if someone else does the work...and it would make a good candidate for a manual swap but no track rat would consider a convertible...
Jump to top Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-17-2018, 03:10:38 PM   #3
moezer

United States

Like said if ur fixing them ur self it would be a cheap option to buy and sell, another thing to consider is insurance might not give u full coverage on the car or if they do it would be very very expensive.

Also when getting a salvage car dont get one that's badly crashed and be over your head, my first ever car was an mk3 Jetta my dad bought it for 58 bucks from an auction it had 120k km not miles it cost 600 bucks to fix it was hit on the driver side thankfully it was only consmedic damage and not frame, anyways cost us 600 bucks to fix and put on the road I dropped another 1000 bucks making it my own then sold it for 3500 lol

Also selling a salvage car can also be tricky, u will get those people that are picky as shit and would want to buy the car next to nothing.

I had a 328i 98 bmw, had a salvage title on it but the car was only deemed salvage because it was stolen, I had to replace the steering wheel all the heater controls a speedometer just small things I came to insure it full coverage and they wanted 400 bucks a month! Then I insured it as one way for 190 was very expensive but it also depends on the car and ur age at the time I was 20 and was a new driver too

Best if luck

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by moezer; Thu, May-17-2018 at 03:13:52 PM.
Jump to top moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, May-22-2018, 05:11:05 AM   #4
Jaredomin

In the garage:

United States

If you want to part something out.
Buy a clean 240sx youll make a living off of it
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Jaredomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-23-2018, 01:14:01 AM   #5
KDAWG97M3
GO DAWGS!

United States

Depends.....

Salvage bc of accident/flood...I don’t think so

Theft and recovery and can be proved....maybe

But the car has to be bought for pennies on the dollar...if not no, and then I personally wouldn’t do it...but people’s money situations are different,,,just know resell is going to hard and long.....and no dealer is going to take it in on a trade...so might be stuck with it....
Jump to top KDAWG97M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-24-2018, 05:07:11 AM   #6
At the Apex

United States

It's salvaged for a reason. I would not buy any car with that kind of title.
Jump to top At the Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-24-2018, 05:19:58 AM   #7
moezer

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by At the Apex View Post
A car earns a salvage title when the cost to repair is worth more then the cars worth, that said in today's market and how cars are made even a fender bender can make the car a write off because the frame gets bent also

If u gonna do the work ur self and u know what ur doing then it's a good road to take if u gonna get one and have a shop do all the work its gonna cost u alot but then u sont ve able to sell it because u put so much in to it?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Jump to top moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-24-2018, 02:59:16 PM   #8
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by At the Apex View Post
Not always true, I just salvaged my 95 S6 Wagon due to a front bumper/hood being damaged and no US spec bumper skins available to repair it. Insurance paid me out for the vehicle, I purchased it back for $500 and will be passing it along to someone who wants to either source a euro bumper skin and or repair the US skin themselves.

It all depends on the vehicle, but to answer the question at hand...No, I would not purchase a highly produced M3 with a salvage title when you could find one in need of normal TLC.