BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Mar-17-2019, 07:19:03 AM   #1
zingbmw

United States

Default diagnosing...car shut off while driving

I started diagnosing, but more opinions/ eyes on the problem is always welcome. Will update when I solve it.

Car stalled while idling. Didnt think anything of it and started it again and kept driving. A few minutes later the car died with the clutch in while slowing down for a light. Tried starting it again, but no luck. Tried push starting and it wouldnt turn over. That should take the alternator and battery out of the equation. however, I think my battery is about ready for a replacement anyways.

I ran a code reader with inpa and came up with:
170 minimum flow of secondary air...Bench 2 too small
94 internal index 241

A buddy helped me narrow things down a bit. We were thinking it was either the fuel pump or the camshaft position sensor. Having issues determining what the codes mean. Used the following site but still not 100% sure.
http://www.chitownm.com/forums/showthread.php?p=61655

Possibly air pump or MAF sensor for the 170 code. the 94 says Inlet-VANOS adaptation, which I was thinking intake cam sensor.

I did the beisan oil pump kit a year ago, but didnt do the solenoid. The fuse for the fuel pump is good and the fuel filter was changed a year or so ago. Cant think of anything else pertinent.

Will try to rule out the fuel pump tomorrow. any advice guys??
Jump to top zingbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Mar-17-2019, 07:36:41 AM   #2
zingbmw

United States

Default Re: diagnosing...car shut off while driving

Since the car should run with a bad air pump/air pump relay or bad MAF sensor, Im guessing its the 94 code that is causing the car not to run.

could the 94 code be the vanos solenoid? would that inhibit the car from starting entirely?

Last edited by zingbmw; Sun, Mar-17-2019 at 08:32:38 AM.
Old Sun, Mar-17-2019, 01:54:24 PM   #3
bigjae1976

In the garage:

United States

Usually, the car runs rough if a cam sensor is going bad and you get lean codes if your fuel pump is dying.

If it were me, Id be checking the idle air valve and vacuum lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Mar-17-2019, 09:12:08 PM   #4
zingbmw

United States

I cleaned the ICV years ago. have been dealing with a bouncy idle for years and trying to fix it. the valve adjustment and vanos oil pump that i did a year or so ago helped the most. The next thing on my list was the maf sensor.

Ill check the secondary air pump and try to figure out how to diagnose vacuum lines. However, not sure those would cause a no start.

Pulled back seat and heard the fuel pump noise for 3 seconds with key in position 2, so thinking that's fine.

Think battery is toast. will have shop test it and replace it if needed before further testing

Last edited by zingbmw; Sun, Mar-17-2019 at 11:53:52 PM.
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 12:51:56 AM   #5
zingbmw

United States

Picked up a new battery and cleared the codes. Now I hear the starter spinning and the engine turning, but it doesnt turn over and doesnt throw any codes.

Anyone know for sure what the 94 internal index 241 code means?

While I might have a vacuum leak issue, I dont think thats causing the engine not to turn over (Ill resume diagnosing that issues as soon as I can turn the engine over). I suppose camshaft position sensor, crank position sensor, and engine compression issues are still on the table as well as possible issues from the fuel pump (unless hearing the noise is definitive enough to say it works). I think pretty much everything else is now off the table.

Ideas or easy tests to start crossing things off my list?

Last edited by zingbmw; Thu, Mar-21-2019 at 01:17:38 AM.
Old Thu, Mar-21-2019, 05:16:17 AM   #6
sapote

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingbmw View Post
Picked up a new battery and cleared the codes. Now I hear the starter spinning and the engine turning, but it doesnt turn over...
Engine turned but didn't turn over. I think saying it didn't run is more clear.

Check fuel pressure at the injector rail
Crank engine. Remove plug to see wet with fuel, if wet then injectors sort of working.
Check if it has spark at the plugs
Jump to top sapote is online now   Reply With Quote