BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Mon, Jul-24-2017, 01:12:26 PM   #121
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Default Re: Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R - any feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islavov View Post
Ordered size down from tirerack 265/35/18 (275 was back ordered) - I have had 4 or 5 autox events so far - wear is reasonable, grip and performance is exceptional!!! Center edge looks like is wearing too fast on the fronts, but fronts do all the "heavy lifting" in autox. I just missed FTD on last autox by 0.150s, and winning my group 3 times in a row. This is the best I have done so far.

This is the tire to have for Autox, period!!!
Probably running too high pressure.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-10-2017, 04:24:03 AM   #122
islavov
M-Power, M-Gazaria

Bulgaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Probably running too high pressure.
Actually, I ran them pretty low, the lowest I have run a street tire - 27-28 hot.
I know what you mean, but its not that entire middle edge wears out, it wears out at an angle, outside edge basically is going away first. Maybe ideally need less camber, but then my 10et25 wont fit. Although, outside tire edge takes a beating all the way to the marks...

I know, I am pushing the car pretty hard too, fighting to FTD with NCCBMW, so maybe there is no way around this - these tires are softer and just wear out as such. But let me say, while offering extreme grip!!! so glad, I got them!

Mods: DINAN Intake, AP Headers, SS Race Cats, ESS Software, UUC Front Sway (rear is 4sale, too stiff 4 me), Ground Control medium rear sway, EvoSport Pulleys, Eisenmann Meisterschaft TI
Susp: TCK DA - Thanks DAN & Obioban @ DER
Track Wheels: ARC-8 Square 18x35x275
Sponsored By: http://www.galaxylinq.com - Custom E-commerce Websites, Recurring Billing, Membership & Subscription Management CRM/CMS Software
Jump to top islavov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-10-2017, 01:07:42 PM   #123
SG/IRM3
Flyguy

United States

The center rib wear you describe seems to be pretty common regardless of pressure or type of car. Virtually everyone I autox with has experienced it regardless of car type or driving style. It does seem to stop at some point but remains that way until the tire is worn out.

After my earlier lengthy posts about the rapid wear I just got a second set after evaluating them against the RS4 and Z2. I love the grip they provide and feel like if I had flipped them after the first three day track weekend they they would have lasted longer. I was wearing the outside right edge on a track that includes a lefthand NASCAR banked oval. I experienced minimal wear autocrossing.
Old Fri, Sep-15-2017, 12:05:23 AM   #124
Brainofjjj
Astronaut

In the garage:

United States

Thanks for all the good feedback people. We're running a spec e46 at the upcoming WRL COTA race. These seem like the no brainer but the Falkens are cheap and the Dunlops are probably just as fast as the RE71's.

Who else is coming?
Jump to top Brainofjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-18-2017, 01:40:28 AM   #125
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow

In the garage:

Bulgaria

I ran my stock 330i with Bridgestone S-04 PP's at IMS (track car was down) and I got the same center wear on those shit tires. Maybe it's just a Bridgestone thing that the center rib wears down. My friend's Re-71R's center rib wore the same way - at an angle on his stock Civic SI after two track days. Both scenarios probably had pressures too high to begin with.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-18-2017, 11:54:37 AM   #126
lcrain

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainofjjj View Post
Thanks for all the good feedback people. We're running a spec e46 at the upcoming WRL COTA race. These seem like the no brainer but the Falkens are cheap and the Dunlops are probably just as fast as the RE71's.

Who else is coming?
I will be there. We run the re71s on our miata. Lighter than you e46, but we have no problems making them last an 8 hour race. Are you guys going to hallet?
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-18-2017, 12:26:43 PM   #127
pat533i

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I will be there. We run the re71s on our miata. Lighter than you e46, but we have no problems making them last an 8 hour race. Are you guys going to hallet?

You think they would last 12hrs? On a Miata.
Old Mon, Sep-18-2017, 01:39:32 PM   #128
lcrain

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat533i View Post
You think they would last 12hrs? On a Miata.
Certainly possible, but I would have a backup set for sure. After the last 8 hour race, my brother probably did 1.5-2 DE days on the same set of tires...so not out of the realm of possibility that they last 12 hours on a lightweight vehicle.
Jump to top lcrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-19-2017, 01:44:13 PM   #129
Brainofjjj
Astronaut

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
Gotcha, all the heavier cars like mine seem to be able to get 10-12 hours if they watch pressures. Over 3200#s and you're lucky to get 8 hours.

We're not running Hallett. I'm going to NASA Nationals @ Sebring.
Jump to top Brainofjjj is offline   Reply With Quote