BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sun, Jun-10-2018, 10:35:28 PM   #21
RedM3/4

United States

Default Re: SMG No Start -- another one

The starter OR the solenoid can "click"; lighter sound probably the solenoid.
Regardless, you're last point, that it was taking a couple seconds with the key turned for the starter to engage and turn the engine is a classic description of the starter beginning to fail. You can find loads of posts with this description if you search starter problems.
I would still do everything I recommended before on connections.
Even the battery - unless you know/watched the inside of the cables get cleaned.
Let us know what you find.

ADS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingM View Post
For those that are in topic and interested in helping...I can answer some questions. Firstly, I am well aware of the pros and cons of SMG, I did my research. Iíve been driving e30 m3s (race and street) for 18 years, Iíve had many other manual cars along the way too. The car is experiencing electrical faults IMHO, just trying to find a similar scenario from anyone else.

- My battery is from 2/18
- it does sound like a click from the starter although itís only one click and very faint. Itís not like the noise a starter will make with a dying battery when it clicks repeatedly
- I have put about 100 Miles on this car so my reference point for what it usually does is nonexistent
- I pushed the car about half a block into my trailer. Decided to try it before we strapped the car down and it started no problem
- when I turn the key to start the car there is usually a 1-2 second delay from when the key is in the start position until it starts cranking

Thanks
Jump to top RedM3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 01:22:05 AM   #22
SterlingM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedM3/4 View Post
The starter OR the solenoid can "click"; lighter sound probably the solenoid.
Regardless, you're last point, that it was taking a couple seconds with the key turned for the starter to engage and turn the engine is a classic description of the starter beginning to fail. You can find loads of posts with this description if you search starter problems.
I would still do everything I recommended before on connections.
Even the battery - unless you know/watched the inside of the cables get cleaned.
Let us know what you find.

ADS
Dropped it at my indy shop yesterday, will see what he says tomorrow or Tuesday when he has a chance to look it over. I'll talk to him tomorrow and discuss starter possibility.

TIA for all the advice guys

Dave
Jump to top SterlingM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 11:47:19 PM   #23
rovert604

Canada

Your starter will not fire if:
  • Battery is completely dead
  • Battery terminal disconnected/loose
  • Bad/rusted ground
  • Part/all of the starter is done
  • EWS computer failure
  • Ignition switch failure
  • If the SMG transmission isn't or cannot get into neutral (no numbers or gear chosen, displayed in SMG speedo under oil temp)

The last point could be a cause of the SMG pump motor has finally decided it can't work anymore due to age and therefore cannot provide enough hydraulic pressure to the accumulator for the SMG pump to actuate gear selection. When unlocking the car or opening a closed door after 20 mins, you want to hear the SMG motor start priming for about 4-8 seconds depending on how much pressure the accumulator has lost between leaving the vehicle.

Here is a video clip I made of my failing SMG motor: https://cl.ly/rNv4

Here's a video clip of what a healthy SMG motor sounds like after I replaced it with a Burkhart model: https://cl.ly/sD7e

Last edited by rovert604; Tue, Jun-12-2018 at 12:03:56 AM.
Jump to top rovert604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 12:14:24 AM   #24
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

Another possibility that occurred with mine: clutch wear causes a smg no start issue. The fix was a new clutch. If you’re in the higher miles, this may be a possibility. I had around 180k miles on mine. I have a thread detailing this somewhere.
Jump to top aznniche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 02:15:21 AM   #25
SterlingM

United States

I got a call from my mechanic today (I was at the racetrack with my other car) and found out it was a simple and easy fix. Culprit:

bad brake light switch

When I pushed the pedal the switch was faulty so it didn't know I was pushing the brake and would prevent the car from starting. He had a new one on the shelf, installed and believes the problem will go away. I'll pick it up tomorrow and start driving it to see if he's right

Ironically I had the same problem in my '04 Volvo V70R, only it would still start but wouldn't activate cruise control because it thought the brakes were applied all the time.

I'm pretty happy about this easy fix!

Dave
Jump to top SterlingM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 09:24:00 PM   #26
spnsprt

In the garage:

United States

One more random suggestion but under the tach does it say it's in gear "0" when you're in neutral? Sometimes it will just be blank and the car won't start.

For some reason pumping the brake pedal makes the "0" pop up and then the car starts. It's weird and happens to mine once in a while.
Jump to top spnsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 09:38:25 PM   #27
rovert604

Canada

Default SMG No Start -- another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by spnsprt View Post
One more random suggestion but under the tach does it say it's in gear "0" when you're in neutral? Sometimes it will just be blank and the car won't start.

For some reason pumping the brake pedal makes the "0" pop up and then the car starts. It's weird and happens to mine once in a while.

That could be because the SMG motor hasnít pressured the accumulator enough to initiate a gear change. As youíre pumping the brake youíre just giving the motor time to get it to proper pressure. That could be a hint that the SMG motor is starting to show its age, taking longer to pump. Compare your motors sound to mine in previous post.
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 10:02:58 PM   #28
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

time for a manuel swap bro

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 10:08:25 PM   #29
spnsprt

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert604 View Post
That could be because the SMG motor hasnít pressured the accumulator enough to initiate a gear change. As youíre pumping the brake youíre just giving the motor time to get it to proper pressure. That could be a hint that the SMG motor is starting to show its age, taking longer to pump. Compare your motors sound to mine in previous post.
I hope that SMG motor lasts till fall then! Planning on doing the manual conversion then.
Jump to top spnsprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 10:57:44 PM   #30
icanseeyou

In the garage:

United States

Seems like the exact issue i had on my MT, it's not the transmission, i'm certain - just like a couple guys chimed in, it's the starter.

If it does happen again, try one thing that got me moving a couple times before i replaced the starter - Hold the key in crank position for up to 3 minutes, and it should start up. At least it did for me.
Jump to top icanseeyou is offline   Reply With Quote