BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 01:04:28 AM   #1
JitteryJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 626
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default How do I wire this fan?

I'm installing a Zionsville radiator with an attached fan. I removed both the stock mechanical and electric axillary fan. Anyone know how I wire this new one up? There are two wires for the new fan and three for the stock electric fan (high & low?). I'm trying to do it this weekend and I'm afraid I won't get through to Zionsville until next week.

Thanks a lot! Joe


__________________
My Techno Violet E36 M3 Journal
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 01:08:55 AM   #2
JPoland
Broken My Wallet
 
JPoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,387
Reputation: 0 JPoland is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I'm installing a Zionsville radiator with an attached fan. I removed both the stock mechanical and electric axillary fan. Anyone know how I wire this new one up? There are two wires for the new fan and three for the stock electric fan (high & low?). I'm trying to do it this weekend and I'm afraid I won't get through to Zionsville until next week.

Thanks a lot! Joe


Good call on the Zionsville. Where you have those unterminated wires I have a connector that goes to a harness. That goes to an external relay. My radiator came with all this and a wiring diagram. Yours did not? Don't worry, we can get you squared away this weekend.
__________________
~Joe

Jump to top JPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 01:34:41 AM   #3
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,114
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

It should be brown (ground) and Blue (12v) if I remember correctly.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 05:16:24 AM   #4
JitteryJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 626
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPoland View Post
Good call on the Zionsville. Where you have those unterminated wires I have a connector that goes to a harness. That goes to an external relay. My radiator came with all this and a wiring diagram. Yours did not? Don't worry, we can get you squared away this weekend.
Mine is a single fan speed setup.

This is from Zionsville site:

"Auxiliary Fan Delete I.
This is the recommended approach. With this option, the SPAL electric fan is wired into the existing car harness and operates on the auxiliary fan circuit. However, to remove the factory auxiliary fan, one must dismantle the front end of the car. Itís a lot of extra work, but the results are worth it. This package includes the necessary wiring components for single (high) speed operation"

I think I just need to get the neutral and power off the old fan harness.

Thanks!
__________________
My Techno Violet E36 M3 Journal
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 05:17:29 AM   #5
JitteryJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 626
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
It should be brown (ground) and Blue (12v) if I remember correctly.
Thanks Braymond. I'll confirm with the Bentley book. I thought there was more to it but apparently not.
__________________
My Techno Violet E36 M3 Journal
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 12:09:41 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,553
Reputation: 0 pbonsalb is on a distinguished road





Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

Are you using a fan wiring kit or modifying the stock aux fan wiring? If using stock wiring, bridge the sender to relay wires so the fan will start runing at the low temp. You can then bridge the power wires but Inthink it is also OK to use just the high speed power wire.

For new wiring, you can use the stock wires to trigger and power and ground a new relay and then use new wiring to ground the fan and power from the new relay to fan.

Or some combination of the above. Itís not complicated once you understand how it works.

Most important is to be patient and careful and thoughtful. For example, if using new wiring, ideally use a water proof relay/connector or put the new relay in a water proof area like the fuse box. And run and secure and crimp and splice and terminal and ground properly.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 03:00:34 PM   #7
JitteryJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 626
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Are you using a fan wiring kit or modifying the stock aux fan wiring? If using stock wiring, bridge the sender to relay wires so the fan will start runing at the low temp. You can then bridge the power wires but Inthink it is also OK to use just the high speed power wire.



For new wiring, you can use the stock wires to trigger and power and ground a new relay and then use new wiring to ground the fan and power from the new relay to fan.



Or some combination of the above. Itís not complicated once you understand how it works.



Most important is to be patient and careful and thoughtful. For example, if using new wiring, ideally use a water proof relay/connector or put the new relay in a water proof area like the fuse box. And run and secure and crimp and splice and terminal and ground properly.


You completely lost me. Can I just connect the existing aux fan wiring to new fan?
Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
My Techno Violet E36 M3 Journal
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 04:57:24 PM   #8
mitch500
Registered User
 
mitch500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Age: 31
Posts: 59
Reputation: 0 mitch500 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

I just kept my aux fan In place and wired in the spal fan to the rad switch/spal relay.
__________________
97 E36 M3 Coupe Alpine white
s54 swap in progress
Jump to top mitch500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 06:46:41 PM   #9
Braymond141
Registered User
 
Braymond141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,114
Reputation: 0 Braymond141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Location: Oakhurst, CA

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

Don't stress doing a push/pull config with the aux fan in place. With it removed the cooling is quite good provided the puller spal is working.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 09:11:18 PM   #10
JitteryJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 626
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 JitteryJoe is on a distinguished road
Location: Seattle

United States




Default Re: How do I wire this fan?

I have only one fan, the new Spal. I'm not re-installing the original pusher aux fan. I can just wire the existing aux fan wiring to it? The three wire setup shown in the first post using just the 2 wires (brown & blue).
Thanks.
__________________
My Techno Violet E36 M3 Journal
Jump to top JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing How do I wire this fan? in the E36 M3 (1992-1999) Forum - {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999 at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)