BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Wed, Jun-06-2018, 02:36:40 AM   #1
NolliM3

United States

Default Installing Braided Stainless Steal Lines

I have installed braided stainless steal lines on cars before...never had so much difficulty until this BMW car...can never seem to get the hard line to the stainless steal part seamlessly...I got one front and one rear done.

Is there some trick to connecting this? I have wasted valuable time monkeying...sometimes, it seems that it catches only to have it come apart as soon as placing the wrench on the nut...and this clip washer adds to the cursing!

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-06-2018, 09:05:35 AM   #2
M3AN
mmm... lovely!

New Zealand

Default Re: Installing Braided Stainless Steal Lines

Really? What brand?

Mine are UUC and just screwed directly on by hand then I tightened them up with the flare wrench.

Are you saying the thread is catching but you can't do it up any more by hand?

E36 M3 | Estoril | Coupe | S50B32 | 6MT
Jump to top M3AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-06-2018, 03:16:34 PM   #3
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AN View Post
Really? What brand?

Mine are UUC and just screwed directly on by hand then I tightened them up with the flare wrench.

Are you saying the thread is catching but you can't do it up any more by hand?
Thanks M3AN for responding. Yes, it's StopTech and I have used that brand before on other cars. Yes, I would start threading by hand...then, it feels as if it catches...put the flare wrench on only for it to come apart again...not sure whether it's the brand, which is a popular one.

Old Wed, Jun-06-2018, 03:38:54 PM   #4
pbonsalb

Are you fighting the spring clip? I donít really have any advice, but I have struggled with them before as well due to the spring clip. You just have to line the two parts up as square as possible so the threads line up and be patient Use a regular wrench instead of a flare initially if that helps. If you have a rethreader you could attempt to use it on the hard line. Might be M10x1.0 but not sure. Could be the first thread as messed up or worn badly and not catching.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-06-2018, 09:09:33 PM   #5
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Are you fighting the spring clip? I don’t really have any advice, but I have struggled with them before as well due to the spring clip. You just have to line the two parts up as square as possible so the threads line up and be patient Use a regular wrench instead of a flare initially if that helps. If you have a rethreader you could attempt to use it on the hard line. Might be M10x1.0 but not sure. Could be the first thread as messed up or worn badly and not catching.
Yes Phil, the spring clip is winning too. I actually bought some rethreaded tools just to tackle the front passenger side, which cost me a whole afternoon of fighting. So, I left that for last to do other stuff. Yesterday, I attempted the rear and the passenger side completed with just minor cursing...then, the driver side just wouldn't take. It just seems that I could never duplicate what I did on the two that are completed.

Patience is really the key; however, when it seems that it catches but didn't really, frustration takes over.

Last edited by NolliM3; Thu, Jun-07-2018 at 03:46:15 AM.
Old Thu, Jun-07-2018, 02:36:00 PM   #6
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Make sure the SS line is fully seated in the bracket on the car. They have little tabs that need to seat fully. Doing this will mean you won't fight the spring clip. Then I move the hard line nut out of the way and put just the hard line in so you can clearly see if its lined up straight. Then move the nut in and tighten.
Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 03:11:24 AM   #7
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
Make sure the SS line is fully seated in the bracket on the car. They have little tabs that need to seat fully. Doing this will mean you won't fight the spring clip. Then I move the hard line nut out of the way and put just the hard line in so you can clearly see if its lined up straight. Then move the nut in and tighten.
That's the problem with the StopTech SS lines...they don't have the tabs...bummer!

Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 04:36:33 PM   #8
_JohnnyD_

Canada

I installed all 6 StopTech SS lines in the spring. Not having the tabs or barbs does make it more difficult. I seems like you need 3 hands. The trick Tom mentioned worked really well for me. Sliding the nut up the hard line so that you can align the hard line with the SS line makes a big difference.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596q View Post
Then I move the hard line nut out of the way and put just the hard line in so you can clearly see if its lined up straight. Then move the nut in and tighten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top _JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jun-10-2018, 04:53:11 AM   #9
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JohnnyD_ View Post
I installed all 6 StopTech SS lines in the spring. Not having the tabs or barbs does make it more difficult. I seems like you need 3 hands. The trick Tom mentioned worked really well for me. Sliding the nut up the hard line so that you can align the hard line with the SS line makes a big difference.

Good luck!
Talk about needing three hands, only one left to do...the front passenger side and it might be buggered...thanks for wishing me good luck.

Old Sun, Jun-10-2018, 12:32:42 PM   #10
pbonsalb

Pull the hard line out, gently. Remove the spring clip. Try threading the ďboltĒ into an m10x1.0 nut or even into the Stoptech line. See if you can do it without the pressure of the spring clip interfering with getting the threads started. Itís a confidence building exercise.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote