BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 02:11:11 PM   #1
JGard

In the garage:

United States

Default Help me get motivated to keep my car

Short backstory....I've had my M3 for 2.5 years. When I got it I began with full maintenance of the standard items. Over the course of the past two years, I've replaced what feels like everything...
All cooling system items (new aluminum rad, water pump, alum thermo housing, all new cooling hoses, etc)
Valve cover gasket
oil pan gasket (safety wired oil pump nut and installed Z3 oil pick up)
engine mounts, tranny mounts, shifter bushings
new front control arms, new rear subframe/suspension bushings
new tires
new tie rod ends
all new swaybar mounts and bushings

and more...

and now, yesterday, I went to go take the car out and immediately upon starting it, I heard a bunch of belt squeal. So something was leaking on to it. I backed the car up a bit, and there's a puddle of coolant. Ugh

At this point I'm tired of fixing things (also it's now hitting 95+ temps here in Austin regularly) so I don't really want to tear it down at the moment. I looked under the hood and for the life of me I cannot find where this leak may be coming from. The car has been running fine for about two thousand miles since I last replaced anything related to the cooling system. Seems weird for something to just let go all of a sudden.

So yeah, any thoughts? Anybody want to just buy this thing from me? haha

I'm wondering if my water pump is just crap (I believe I bought a Graf, so it's possible) or if the head gasket has finally gone. The leak is obviously from the front and based on the location of the puddle, it seems to be on the driver's side. I looked under the car and couldn't really see where anything was coming from, though
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 03:26:47 PM   #2
pbonsalb

Default Re: Help me get motivated to keep my car

Its a 20 year old car. You need to enjoy working on it or not mind paying people to work on it. If I had to pay a shop, Id be looking at newer cars unless money was not much concern and I had the time to deal with an old car and the regular problems most of them have.

Since you recently replaced the entire cooling system, I would guess what you replace is OK and focus on a loose clamp that is allowing pressurized coolant to spray onto the belts or a poorly sealed thermostat housing or poorly sealed water pump (many of these cars have corrosion in the head around the pump seal area) that is leaking onto the belts.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 03:32:07 PM   #3
JGard

In the garage:

United States

yeah, I have just spent more time working on this car than driving it, so it's easy to get disheartened. I mostly enjoy working on this thing, but the fact that I feel like I always have an issue with coolant is wearing thing.

I think you could be right and it's the thermo or water pump. I ran my fingers all around teh thermo housing and there were no real traces of dried coolant, so perhaps the water pump is crap. I feel like I've read horror stories of people having some of these metal impeller pumps shitting out within a few hundred miles. Perhaps I spring for the stewart
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 03:39:08 PM   #4
SQ13

United States

I’ll buy it from you (maybe). I’m in Austin.
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 03:51:34 PM   #5
JGard

In the garage:

United States

If you want to come take a look and make a fair price offer, I'd consider it. I love the car, but I don't have the time to work on it like I used to. Granted, just about everything's already been done, but still... Send me a PM and we can schedule a time for you to come take a look
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 06:39:41 PM   #6
BMWManiac
Turbo 97 M3

United States

I've had my 97 BMW since Feb 2002. I can't imagine the amount of money I've spent on it throughout the years...luckily, it was mostly before I was married with children. NOW, I have to explain to my wife why I had to buy NEW rotors for my STOPTECH BBK today ($650/pair) because the steering wheel shakes side to side when braking....new ones were installed a year ago too (yes, pad transfer - tried to fix with honing brushes).

Anyways, these cars are great when everything works. Just stick to it, and learn how to do maintenance along the way. OR, sell it, get something new with a warranty or lease and never have to worry about maintenance.
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 07:16:46 PM   #7
JGard

In the garage:

United States

ha, I have the same brakes issues except mine are basically just stock replacements. two years old and maybe 5k miles on them and they shake like crazy the first stop I do from 65mph or more.

But yeah, I do all the work on this car and always have. It's my second car, so I can leave things hanging for a while if I ever need to, which is nice.

I guess I'll plan on looking at the water pump. I wanted to replace the front crank seal soon, anyway, so I already had an excuse to remove everything from the front of the engine anyway
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 07:29:26 PM   #8
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

So aftermarket water pump and tstat were used? I would start there and replace with factory BMW.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 07:37:41 PM   #9
BMWManiac
Turbo 97 M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
So aftermarket water pump and tstat were used? I would start there and replace with factory BMW.
Or, Stewart water pump and factory T-stat...lifetime warranty on the stewart...of course, order from FCP Euro and everything has a lifetime warranty
Old Tue, Jun-05-2018, 07:56:38 PM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon

In the garage:

Isle of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
Or, Stewart water pump and factory T-stat...lifetime warranty on the stewart...of course, order from FCP Euro and everything has a lifetime warranty
If the OP previously spent $35 on a water pump, good luck talking him into $200. I also see little benefit to Stewart now that FCP exists, and have I seen them fail anyways.
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe

Quote:
No fun no care
Jump to top TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote