BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Sun, May-13-2018, 11:38:33 PM   #1
NolliM3

United States

Default Insulation Underneath and Around Transmission

What you all do with this insulation underneath the car around the transmission? It's leaking some stuff that looks like sawdust or in might be fiberglass...it's driving me crazy while I am removing the transmission bolts...getting in my eyes, nose, and mouth as well as on my skin. That's another bad design, especially for people with allergies such as I.

What you all replace it with? Most of the insulation I have seen so far seems to be for in the cabin. Those that do without any insulation, do you find that it gets hotter in the cabin?

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake

Last edited by NolliM3; Sun, May-13-2018 at 11:42:50 PM.
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-14-2018, 12:05:15 AM   #2
TheJDub-E36

United States

Default Re: Insulation Underneath and Around Transmission

I used this http://Rust-Oleum 248656 Automotive ..._Erm-Ab58Z4G22

Simple green to clean everything and 3 to 4 coats.
Jump to top TheJDub-E36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2018, 03:11:54 AM   #3
pbonsalb

Remove it all. Use DEI or similar fiberglass reflective heat tape or heat mat. This is very thin stuff. Works fine. Did mine years ago.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2018, 05:04:35 AM   #4
avusblu_e36

United States

hmm I just ripped all mine out a while ago..... all seems fine.... Should I put something there ?
Jump to top avusblu_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2018, 12:14:58 PM   #5
pbonsalb

If you do not reflect the transmission heat you will feel it through the tunnel
In hot weather. It may not bother you. The factory stuff may deaden sound a little as well as insulate from heat.
Jump to top pbonsalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2018, 04:08:48 PM   #6
NolliM3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Remove it all. Use DEI or similar fiberglass reflective heat tape or heat mat. This is very thin stuff. Works fine. Did mine years ago.
Just perfect...thank you Phil!

1995 Alpine White...X-Brace, Fan delete, Cold Air Intake
Jump to top NolliM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-14-2018, 10:02:54 PM   #7
englishtom1596q

In the garage:

United States

Cut mine out.. Doesn't make a damn bit off difference
Old Mon, May-28-2018, 03:10:44 AM   #8
Eric M3
shogun

In the garage:

Japan

my one was hitting the giubo, fixed it 3 years ago, as I have a pit and a transmission jack, it made it easier for us. Exhaust must come off. So we loosened the 6 copper nuts M10 in the front (had 6 new of them) , but did not take them off the bolts, so the exhaust was secured in the front but movable downwards, rear and middle we took off the brackets/rubbers and with the trans jack we lowered the exhaust so far, that we could pull out the silver color metal shroud between exhaust and driveshaft towards the rear, the wires from the O2 sensors were long enough, so even no need to disconnected the O2sensors.
The 'fiber' mat was already damaged from the giubo and the fibers came down, so no change to fix it somehow. So I used a cutter knife and scissors and cut all from the old fiber mat from the end of the trans housing - above giubo - driveshaft off, so all of that mat above/around the giubo and driveshaft is gone now, no more noise. No need to cut much, maybe around 10-15cm width.
To renew the mat complete without taking out the trans seems to be impossible, no access above the transmission.

here some solutions:
some make a spring bracket
others use magnets https://redeyegarage.com/blogs/news/...lever-solution
or aftermerket heat insulation
cut it out

This it is NOT a heat insulation, it is a sound insulation and it does not matter if you cut a portion of it off: P/N 51481977019

The factory insulation (P/N 51481977019) covers the transmission tunnel and firewall. On the firewall it's pinned behind the right front brake hard line. Other items in the way: clutch hard line, fuel lines, power brake booster, ABS pump, heater control valve, throttle cable, fuse box. Basically, replacing the mat with a new factory part means removing the engine + transmission and many other things. That piece of insulation is probably the first thing that goes onto the body during assembly.
Old Thu, May-31-2018, 07:28:06 AM   #9
Versingetrix

In the garage:

United States

No interior, no fiber crap underneath, and yeah the trans tunnel gets a bit warm on track...because race car!
Jump to top Versingetrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-31-2018, 04:01:58 PM   #10
Aeko

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolliM3 View Post
What you all do with this insulation underneath the car around the transmission? It's leaking some stuff that looks like sawdust or in might be fiberglass...it's driving me crazy while I am removing the transmission bolts...getting in my eyes, nose, and mouth as well as on my skin. That's another bad design, especially for people with allergies such as I.
I'm quite positive it is fiberglass which you REALLY should not be getting in to your eyes, nose, or mouth... if you have issues with allergies that bad don't even think about messing with it without gloves, a full face shield, and respirator (this is what I did).

The BMW part description says it is sound deadening material, however I'm sure it does help insulate heat. The suggestions these guys had for the metallized tape is probably the best if you feel the need to replace it. I didn't replace mine and I don't notice a difference. Most people I've seen don't.
Jump to top Aeko is offline   Reply With Quote