BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 01:18:02 AM   #1
Toodaloo

In the garage:

United States

Default Hello! Estoril coupe M3 from the Bay

Hello M3forum,

Iíve been lurking for some time now and I feel that itís time to make a formal introduction.

A little bit of back story:

I bought my first BMW in October of 2014 as a high school senior looking for a fun restoration project. What started as an interest turned into a passionate addiction; spending my evenings on the forums and the weekends in the garage. I soon learned that this car would become sort of a teacher; provoking me to learn new skills and write a book of acquired knowledge in my head. I wonít go on too much on that car, but Iíll let the photos speak for themselves. Before I sold it mid-summer of 2017, I can confidently say that Iíve touched/cleaned/fixed/Improved 99% of the car. Among this, notable mentions include the M20 stroker, Alcantara/m-rain interior, fully refreshed suspension and driveline, and gorgeous exterior.

Anyway, thatís not really an M3 by any means, so Iíll let the photos do the talking and move on to this threads main event.

Here is a link to my E30ís build thread: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=348571

A few months of searching proved the unexpected reality of the recent price hike of e36 M3ís. I was hoping to pay 6-8k for a reasonably clean low mile car, but that ship has sailed. Each car I checked out in that price range was absolutely trash. On my way home from checking out one of these $6k buckets, I received a phone call from a CL seller of this gorgeous 2 owner í99 Estoril coupe. Stopped by and checked out the car. It felt super healthy and was very well maintained by the airplane mechanic owner. I had two of my e36 buddies along for the ride and they were thoroughly impressed with the condition it was in. The car overall was in excellent shape minus some door dings and some rust on the rear subframe right where it wraps around the diff along with the typical engine block corrosion. The car started its life in Illinois for itís first 2-3 years before the owner moved out to CA, so I didnít expect it to be perfect. Thankfully after thoroughly inspecting it; those were the only affected areas. With my plans for the car, I wasnít very concerned at all.

I used my findings as negotiation points and brought the price down a considerable amount to stay within my budget. We settled on a price so long as the engine ran a healthy compression test. I ran home to grab my tools and cash and arrived back to the owners house; ran the test with great results, signed the papers and headed on home! The car came with a mountain of paperwork, every key, original manuals, both window stickers, etc. The car also has quite a few goodies including a Dinan intake, 10k mile GC coilovers, a full suspension refresh with some poly bushings, and square rear contours. Needless to say; I was pretty stoked!

Over the past six months of ownership I have done numerous things to get it up to my standard. While the PO took great care of the car, it was sort of a neglected garage queen. Having owned it for almost half of its life, he sold it due to a loss of interest; saying he drove it maybe once a week. It certainly needed my touch.

I first started with a full detail, mild paint correction, and sealed it up with a hybrid ceramic product. This was meant to be temporary as I wanted to get all of the holograms and most of the swirls out of the paint, but didnít want to go overkill right before the rainy season. Iíll be doing a full proper paint correction in the next few weeks once sunny weather is guaranteed.

Then, I swapped out the US headlights with Glass dimpled depo headlights. Say what you want about ZKW VS BOSCH VS DEPO but I ran a resealed set of DEPO smiley headlights on my e30 without a single complaint. Iíll save my money on more important pieces to the puzzle.

Flushed all of the fluids and caught up on general maintenance items! Thankfully the car has records for all the maintenance, upgrades, (most of which recent) so I donít have to worry about replacing half of the wear items anytime soon.

My friend Patrick picked up a new exhaust for his car, and offered to trade his Remus square tip for my stock unit! While itís way quiet, I like the tone and it complements the Dinan intake quite well. While I was at it, I swapped out the hardware ofcourse!

Installed a new OE M3 trunk badge, OE Z3 passenger footwell net, and new OE black M3 floor mats (ceramic coated before install)

One quirk of this car was the dreaded clutch pedal lean. I ran to pick n pull, snagged a spare pedal to go along with some fresh UUC clutch pedal bushings. Swapped it out and she now sits straight as an arrow!

Audio: Something was upÖ some speakers were cutting out, one of the tweeters wasnít working, and the dated head unit was a pain to use. I got rid of the horrendous speaker kicker panels and replaced them with the correct sized speakers. Also, upgraded the 10 year old head unit to one with integrated Bluetooth. It looks much betterÖ If only it wasnít glossyÖ Cleaned up the wiring mess the POís audio shop left behind. Unfortunately, they clipped the stock head unit harness, but I can always swap that out if I deem itís necessary. Thisíll do for now. Lastly, I replaced the large amp protruding through the side of the trunk carpeting with a smaller unit. I love music, but Iím not a major audiophile. It sounds great enough for my pleasure so Iíll call it a day. While I was in there I gutted the dated laser jammer.

Vaders are some of the best looking factory seats. Ever. Period. But not when youíre 6í2 and try to drive any longer than an hour or two. I had to do this weird slouching/leaning thing to make it work. I picked up a set of NLA recaro SRDís, ran them for a month or so, but changed my plans for the interior and sold the seats. Iíll reveal these plans as the ball starts rolling!

Reupholstered a set of brand new dove door panels in grey M-rain for my buddy @Ctejuco. This is a slight hint on what Iím planning!

Did another oil change

Picked up a spare í99 M3 rear subframe. This will be powder coated, have new bushings pressed in, and installed in the summer to replace the rusty part!

A friend of mine had a successful flip on a car I pointed his way, so he hooked me up with his old 27mm Racing dynamics front sway! I stripped off the rust, sanded down the scratches, painted it, and threw it on the car!

Swapped the smoked depo corners, side markers, and tails for OEM Ambers that I polished up and coated. I love the way the orange compliments the Estoril!

IMO, the LTW/GT/high-rise wing completes the rear end of the e36. I also didnít feel too bad about drilling into the trunk since it was the only non-original body panel on the entire car after being replaced a few years back when something was dropped on itís edge.

As of right now, there arenít many good budget friendly options for the wing. OEM is out of the question (costing as much as a beater daily driver), and Abrahams/lester has been out of production for over 6 months. I wasnít going to spend $700 on a fiberglass MAshaw after hearing they too have issues with sagging and imperfect fitment so I bought the bullet and ordered a Bulgarian rep. Fitment was meh. It required a lot of fiberglass work to get it to fit properly. But overall results are very good. Itís not perfect, but neither is OEM. I mean, seriously, how did BMW allow such poor fit to leave the factory? Painted the wing and mounted it! I still have to get around to wet sanding and polishing out the orange peel, but Iím partially so discouraged by the nature of wavy fiberglass that I may just leave it until I can find a nicer Lester or OEM wing; that is - once one comes up for a decent price. The color is also a few shades too dark. I learned a few things about solvent vs. water based base coats at my local supply shop. It appears the PPG water based formulas allow for a more accurate paint match than their solvent formula. Iíll switch to the water based for the next wing!

New OEM windshield cowl to replace the brittle chipping old one!

The PO installed a set of GC street/school coilovers with 440/550 rates and street camber plates roughly 10k miles before selling me the car. Unfortunately, the street plates donít allow for a lot of adjustment so itís common practice to swap them from side to side to get a factory alignment. I swapped them back to their correct side and added some thin grade 10.9 spacers and 10.9 bolts to add some additional camber(along with the plates) to get to that 3-3.5 degree sweet spot for aggressive autox/track applications. It should be noted that 245/40ís on square rear contours do not fit without a spacer up front. Just after I bought the car I had noticed there was a worn spot on the height adjusting collar and added a 10mm spacer.

The clutch delay valve has always bothered me in this car. It actually made my engagement jerkier since Iím used to driving more rev-happy cars with lighter rotating assemblies. My buddy Jeff assisted me in bleeding the clutch along with the brakes. (of course with type 200 fluid [emoj
i3])

Picked up a set of used 17x9.5 et35 ARC 8ís from a friend for a good deal that came with some almost cycled out toyo RRís. Smashed the mountain roads all weekend before I corded one of the tires and Swapped on some 595 RS-RRís. Not sure what to expect from these tires, but most of my track buddies swear by them! Plus, theyíre SO DAMN CHEAP. Iíll be throwing these back on the car once I roll my rear fenders and get an alignment. Here are also some of the latest photos!

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me!

My last build thread was very text heavy and had far too many details that didnít really matter in the grand scheme of things; so Iíll try and keep future updates short and concise. Future plans will be revealed as they happen!

Last edited by Toodaloo; Fri, May-18-2018 at 08:53:12 AM.
Jump to top Toodaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 05:24:54 AM   #2
CKr

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Hello! Estoril coupe M3 from the bay

Nice writeup and car, and hello from a fellow bay area estoril owner! How many miles are on the car? How did you manage to fit the depos with the Dinan intake installed?
Jump to top CKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 07:54:43 AM   #3
Toodaloo

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKr View Post
Nice writeup and car, and hello from a fellow bay area estoril owner! How many miles are on the car? How did you manage to fit the depos with the Dinan intake installed?
Hello, and thanks! I purchased it with 134k, and it's now up to 141k. The Depo/Dinan fitment is very very tight fit. I loosened the intake, removed the reinforcement plate, and managed to fit everything in place. I'm not very happy with the overall fit, so I'm planning on making a few adjustments to get it up to my standard soon!
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 03:58:21 PM   #4
c_tejuco

In the garage:

Philippines

This car has come a long, LONG way in your hands, my dude! Looking forward to seeing what's in store for this build.
Jump to top c_tejuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 05:32:39 PM   #5
cblock

In the garage:

United States

Car looks great!

Jump to top cblock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 05:48:22 PM   #6
bromp
idiot

United States

fantastic car! are you on IG? i feel like i follow you
Jump to top bromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 06:05:48 PM   #7
fattycharged
can't even

In the garage:

Zimbabwe

I'm curious about the wing, I need to replace the weird mid rise I have as I'm tired of looking at it. Did you just reshape the trunk mount portion to cut some of the height and add some slope?
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 06:18:28 PM   #8
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Looks awesome!
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 06:22:49 PM   #9
simon_c

United States

Is that a local BMW meet in one of the pictures? More info?
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 06:54:45 PM   #10
Toodaloo

In the garage:

United States

Default Hello! Estoril coupe M3 from the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_tejuco View Post
This car has come a long, LONG way in your hands, my dude! Looking forward to seeing what's in store for this build.
Thanks Carlos! Slowly but surely haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblock View Post
Car looks great!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromp View Post
fantastic car! are you on IG? i feel like i follow you
Yep, I am! @astafyev_a on IG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattycharged View Post
I'm curious about the wing, I need to replace the weird mid rise I have as I'm tired of looking at it. Did you just reshape the trunk mount portion to cut some of the height and add some slope?
I did quite a bit to it actually. The base didn't fit well against the trunk so I ground down the high spots and used a fiberglass filler to fill in any imperfections or low spots. Then, I sanded it flat to sit flush against the trunk. To reseal the wing, I laid down a few layers of fiberglass on both sides of the wing where I broke through the original fiberglass. Then, I wasn't happy with the bolt hole locations and where they lined up on the trunk. I would have had to go through half of the boxed in metal: which would have been very awkward, not as clean, and not as strong as going further away from the edge of the trunk. I drilled new holes in the base and risers and installed new "rivnuts" that thread into the risers. Lastly, the wing arrived cracked so I opened up the gap, drilled out the ends to prevent it from spreading, filled the gap, and fiberglasses over it. After sanding it all smooth; I followed the standard fiberglass prep steps to get it ready for paint. I painted it with a 1k PPG solvent base and a 2k clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
Looks awesome!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon_c View Post
Is that a local BMW meet in one of the pictures? More info?
It was actually Radwood @ Hooptiecon/lemons out at Sonoma raceway!

There were more R32 Skylines than e36 M3's... lol!

Last edited by Toodaloo; Fri, Apr-13-2018 at 07:08:38 PM.