BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Aug-18-2017, 04:07:32 AM   #11
alexjames23

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: infamous 3rd gear grind

Hate to bring back on old thread from the dead, but I have this problem exactly with my 2002 M3.

Here is my thread, as I'm curious if any further information has been gathered regarding this problem as of mid 2017: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067708462

2002 M3 Cabrio / Steel Gray / Cinnamon / 6MT / VMR V703s / MR Strut Bar / Manzo Headers / MR Muffler / Autopower Rollbar / B-Spec Tune / Turner Pulleys / GC Street School / Bav SS Brake Lines / CDV delete / Alpine SPS-410s / Pioneer TS-A1306C / Sony XMN1004 / Stubby antenna / iSimple BT
Jump to top alexjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 07:33:10 PM   #12
M3Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjames23 View Post
Hate to bring back on old thread from the dead, but I have this problem exactly with my 2002 M3.

Here is my thread, as I'm curious if any further information has been gathered regarding this problem as of mid 2017: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...p?p=1067708462
My 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are bad on the 6 speed 420g tranny I sourced for my E36 auto to manual swap, so i just took it out and sent it to Metric Mechanic in Missouri. Good reviews and owner has tons of experience with working on these transmissions and has figured out how to make the synchros better than new. I will let folks know how it turns out when I get it back and put everything back together, but it should be good to know that there are options out there besides just living with slow-shifting or 'fixing' by replacing with junkyard trannies--and then finding out what you got isn't much better that what you had. In my case, it would shift fine if slow-shifted below 3500-3800 rpm. Anything above that, no matter how gingerly it was shifted, it would grind. I was using the UUC recipe of Redline ATFs and also had LubroMoly added at the recommendation of UUC. I installed a Stage 2 organic clutch and LW flywheel as part of the swap, and that mix is supposed to keep the gear-rattle noise at idle down. I have done some reading since I removed and shipped the tranny, and now see some posts that say anything other than the BMW-spec fluid can cause the synchros to be too slippery and cause grinding because the synchros don't have enough friction to slow the gears down. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but I never got a chance to try switching the fluid and seeing if it made a difference...
Jump to top M3Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-14-2018, 04:45:22 AM   #13
alexjames23

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pete View Post
My 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are bad on the 6 speed 420g tranny I sourced for my E36 auto to manual swap, so i just took it out and sent it to Metric Mechanic in Missouri. Good reviews and owner has tons of experience with working on these transmissions and has figured out how to make the synchros better than new. I will let folks know how it turns out when I get it back and put everything back together, but it should be good to know that there are options out there besides just living with slow-shifting or 'fixing' by replacing with junkyard trannies--and then finding out what you got isn't much better that what you had. In my case, it would shift fine if slow-shifted below 3500-3800 rpm. Anything above that, no matter how gingerly it was shifted, it would grind. I was using the UUC recipe of Redline ATFs and also had LubroMoly added at the recommendation of UUC. I installed a Stage 2 organic clutch and LW flywheel as part of the swap, and that mix is supposed to keep the gear-rattle noise at idle down. I have done some reading since I removed and shipped the tranny, and now see some posts that say anything other than the BMW-spec fluid can cause the synchros to be too slippery and cause grinding because the synchros don't have enough friction to slow the gears down. Not sure if that is accurate or not, but I never got a chance to try switching the fluid and seeing if it made a difference...
Awesome, thanks for the info! Let us know how that synchro rebuild goes.

I'm switching to oem BMW fluid and will report back with results. I still have the grinding, but have trained myself to slow shift 2-3 and 3-4 (sometimes will grind as well). I hope I caught the problem early enough.

2002 M3 Cabrio / Steel Gray / Cinnamon / 6MT / VMR V703s / MR Strut Bar / Manzo Headers / MR Muffler / Autopower Rollbar / B-Spec Tune / Turner Pulleys / GC Street School / Bav SS Brake Lines / CDV delete / Alpine SPS-410s / Pioneer TS-A1306C / Sony XMN1004 / Stubby antenna / iSimple BT
Jump to top alexjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-14-2018, 07:15:19 AM   #14
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Just to confirm, Metric is rebuilding your 6 speed 420g tranny or your 5 speed zf tranny for the E36? On their site they list ~$4600 for the 420g...http://metricmechanic.com/ultimate-t...sion-rebuilds/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-14-2018, 11:18:46 PM   #15
conniem3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjames23 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info! Let us know how that synchro rebuild goes.

I'm switching to oem BMW fluid and will report back with results. I still have the grinding, but have trained myself to slow shift 2-3 and 3-4 (sometimes will grind as well). I hope I caught the problem early enough.
I have the same issue as everyone here, switched from Redline to Ravenol. Didn't really help the issue at all, but all other gears are smoother \_(ツ)_/

I've heard that the tensioner spring (or something like that) could be the culprit, which is like a $5 soring, except you have to drop half the tranny or so to get it out and check. Some say that fixed the issue entirely, others not. At that point, if you don't have a transmission lined up it's a waste of labor.

I know TM sells the 420gs too with a core refund, but that's still about $4K. The most reasonable route for me will be to purchase a SMG trans and re use my 6mt bellhousing for the swap. Seems most cost effective and SMGs are usually more healthy than used 6MT even if they're low miles.

Wish there was a way to do surgery on these and replace only the synchro...

2001 BMW IR E46 M3 6MT + Buildjournal B-Spec Tune
Build Thread / Album
IG: connie.m3
Jump to top conniem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 12:57:54 AM   #16
M3Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
Just to confirm, Metric is rebuilding your 6 speed 420g tranny or your 5 speed zf tranny for the E36? On their site they list ~$4600 for the 420g...http://metricmechanic.com/ultimate-t...sion-rebuilds/

I had an auto and swapped it to the 6 speed 420g since I have a 3.38 rear. I had a '97 M3 sedan with the ZF five speed and it was a smoother shifting trans, but on the highway, it always felt like it was missing a gear, so I figured I would go the 6 speed route. Maybe not the best idea in hindsight. The trans was a lot more costly to source, and now that I am having it rebuilt, my budget is WAY blown. But I will have an essentially new 420g (some say better than new, with the improvements Metric Mechanic has made to them) in my Hellrot Red '99 convertible when done. And since my car only has 56k on the clock, it should be the last thing I will have to worry about going forward. While they have it apart they are putting the a Euro E36 M3 input shaft in it which will make it the same size as the E36 (vs the larger E46 M3 input shaft it had while it lived in a US M3). We will see how it all turns out....

BTW, one thing I will say is removing the tranny, clutch, etc. the second time is a lot easier and quicker than the first go-round. Not that I want to do this a third time, but just sayin'!
Jump to top M3Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 03:54:20 AM   #17
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
I had an auto and swapped it to the 6 speed 420g since I have a 3.38 rear. I had a '97 M3 sedan with the ZF five speed and it was a smoother shifting trans, but on the highway, it always felt like it was missing a gear, so I figured I would go the 6 speed route. Maybe not the best idea in hindsight. The trans was a lot more costly to source, and now that I am having it rebuilt, my budget is WAY blown. But I will have an essentially new 420g (some say better than new, with the improvements Metric Mechanic has made to them) in my Hellrot Red '99 convertible when done. And since my car only has 56k on the clock, it should be the last thing I will have to worry about going forward. While they have it apart they are putting the a Euro E36 M3 input shaft in it which will make it the same size as the E36 (vs the larger E46 M3 input shaft it had while it lived in a US M3). We will see how it all turns out....

BTW, one thing I will say is removing the tranny, clutch, etc. the second time is a lot easier and quicker than the first go-round. Not that I want to do this a third time, but just sayin'!
Nice. Given Metric's price, have you looked into Turner's offering at all?

Yeah, you def get faster at doing them, lol.

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 04:14:07 AM   #18
forzanerazzurri

In the garage:

Canada

The third gear grind is always interesting to hear about. My third gear is probably my smoothest gear. Running oem fluid. Its second that is notchy for me and even then it's only at low rpm shifts. If im flying the whole gearbox just rows like butter.
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 04:46:44 AM   #19
dothraki

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
The third gear grind is always interesting to hear about. My third gear is probably my smoothest gear. Running oem fluid. Its second that is notchy for me and even then it's only at low rpm shifts. If im flying the whole gearbox just rows like butter.
Same. My 2nd grinds mostly at low RPMs and at low speeds. 3rd is fine.
Jump to top dothraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 06:25:45 AM   #20
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Same here

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote