BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 12:16:30 AM   #21
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Rod bearing replacement cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Oh please. Look me up, its not like I have not done my share of DIYs. Let's not bring this BF attitude here, pal. I know my limitations, and doing RBs in my garage is not what I want to do. My time is more valuable to me and I will gladly pay somebody to do this.
Haha I’m the same way. If it’s not a fun job and I can afford to pay a reputable mechanic, I’d rather sit back and enjoy the finished product. I try my best to do most of the basic maintenance however. I also enjoy tinkering and detailing the car.

But being under the car for hours hoping for the best, no thanks. Rather hit the gym, go out with friends, or binge watch Netflix props to those that do this on regular basis.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 01:08:44 AM   #22
steeezm3

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Looking back on it, if I wasn't replacing all the parts that I refreshed, it probably would have taken me 6-7 hours at a moderate pace. It's not overly difficult, just time-consuming because of all the parts that need to be removed to access the bearings.
Thanks for the validation. I’m thinking paying $585 for labor may be the ideal route. I’ll spend more time fumbling around under jackstands than what it’s worth.
Jump to top steeezm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 05:31:35 PM   #23
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeezm3 View Post
Thanks for the validation. Iím thinking paying $585 for labor may be the ideal route. Iíll spend more time fumbling around under jackstands than what itís worth.
My M3 is also my fun/secondary car so I had the luxury of splitting the job up over several sessions which made it more enjoyable and allowed me to document and snap pictures of the process.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-13-2018, 05:37:13 PM   #24
M3_Pilot

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeezm3 View Post
Thanks for the validation. Iím thinking paying $585 for labor may be the ideal route. Iíll spend more time fumbling around under jackstands than what itís worth.
$585 for labor is dirt cheap. I'd honestly consider it for that price. But you also learn a lot about this car when breaking it down. Fascinating really.

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6MT
Jump to top M3_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-14-2018, 06:32:46 PM   #25
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Pilot View Post
$585 for labor is dirt cheap. I'd honestly consider it for that price. But you also learn a lot about this car when breaking it down. Fascinating really.
That and I'm very paticular about how work gets completed on my M3. Doing it myself allows me to know parts actually got replaced, proper torque values were used, and corners weren't cut.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been done. Repairs and maintenance are simply taking parts apart and putting them back together again." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jun-14-2018, 07:15:41 PM   #26
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
That and I'm very paticular about how work gets completed on my M3. Doing it myself allows me to know parts actually got replaced, proper torque values were used, and corners weren't cut.
That's pretty much why I do my own work. Trying to find a mechanic that uses a torque wrench (or even just doesn't air gun everything) is quite the challenge

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 03 530i, 04 M3 wagon, and some boring stuff
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 07:55:04 AM   #27
newton22

In the garage:

United States

OP, I paid about $1700 parts and labor. I ordered WPC bearings myself from the forums.

Also ignore people here who are selling you hard on DIYing. Yes DIY is definitely a good option if you have the time and means but I don't know why people here are so hellbent on their ways. Some of us travel or work multiple jobs/have other hobbies/life outside of cars.

Ground Control / APEX / AKG / Fabspeed / Rogue Engineering / Momo / Kirk
Jump to top newton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 11:46:50 AM   #28
MrCooperS

United States

I paid about $300-$400 for my WPC treated bearings and OEM bolts. And then about $1,000 for the labor which included an oil change from a very competent mechanic.

I was more than happy to foot the bill as someone who’s mechanical abilities stop at a tire rotation and an oil change. We shouldn’t shame people into not wanting to or not being able to DIY.

OEM gloss black kidney grills & fender grills | Osram DS2 bulbs | Smoked corners | IB valve cover | IB side markers | Angel eyes | Status Gruppe CF Trunk | CF CSL rear diffuser | CF front spoiler | US Mill Works tow hook license plate holder | Stainless steel M3 pedals

Auto Solutions 30% SSK | Eventuri Intake & CF Scoop | Macht Snell silicon intake elbow | Turner IAT relocation kit | WPC-treated rod bearings | CSL headers | Euro section 1 | Supersprint resonated section 2 | Supersprint sport section 3 | Eibach springs | Turner monoball FCABs | Apex EC-7 hypersilver wheels | Bridgestone RE71R | Apex spacers | Apex bolts

Ledarmanz perforated flat bottom steering wheel | Coby Alcantara shift + e-brake boot | ZHP Shift Knob | Armrest & cupholder delete + Euro tray | Schroth 3-point harness | Alcantara wrapped A+B+C pillars

Are you an E30 M3 owner? If you're looking to trade for an 05 Interlagos Blue E46 M3, message me!
Jump to top MrCooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-15-2018, 01:30:16 PM   #29
Texaz3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton22 View Post
OP, I paid about $1700 parts and labor. I ordered WPC bearings myself from the forums.

Also ignore people here who are selling you hard on DIYing. Yes DIY is definitely a good option if you have the time and means but I don't know why people here are so hellbent on their ways. Some of us travel or work multiple jobs/have other hobbies/life outside of cars.
Thanks.
No worries, I DIY a lot of stuff, I have 5 M-cars I maintain all the time - all out of warranty older girls with over 100K miles each. Like I said, I know my limitations and DIY rod bearings is not what I want to do. I'd prefer to spend my weekend playing ice hockey with my son or tasting wine with my wife. I spend too much time in the garage as is, so its all good.

I'm getting $1200-1500-1700 quotes from several local indies depending on parts. So I'm fine with that, once the time comes to have this done.

Last edited by Texaz3; Fri, Jun-15-2018 at 01:33:52 PM.
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-19-2018, 02:50:48 PM   #30
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Thanks.
No worries, I DIY a lot of stuff, I have 5 M-cars I maintain all the time - all out of warranty older girls with over 100K miles each. Like I said, I know my limitations and DIY rod bearings is not what I want to do. I'd prefer to spend my weekend playing ice hockey with my son or tasting wine with my wife. I spend too much time in the garage as is, so its all good.

I'm getting $1200-1500-1700 quotes from several local indies depending on parts. So I'm fine with that, once the time comes to have this done.
Just a suggestion, you could reach out to Hacksaw here on the forums. He's in San Antonio. You and the family could spend a weekend in San Antonio while he wraps things up with your rod bearings.

Just a suggestion and highly recommended.

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote