BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 03:46:31 AM   #1
QuantuM3

United States

Default P1519 Engine Code. Vanos code. Opinions?

Hey M3F
I'll make this as detailed as possible but I'll begin with the fact that I'm getting a stuck vanos CEL.
It comes up as Mech stuck vanos as well as a Camshaft Positioning Sensor (along with Throttle Position Sensor) P1519

Dropped a replacement engine into the E36 and bought a second hand Dr Vanos Stage 1 from a trusted BF member (thanks)
1st time: Put in the vanos with no timing blocks but made sure it was TDC. Got the rattle and returned to the engine shorty after
2nd time: Put in the vanos properly with timing blocks and crank lock. No rattle and made power. Drove about 1000 miles before the same CEL light came on

3rd time(problem/current): Just finished putting in the vanos again (an hour ago) and was even more meticulous with it. Bit on the first turn of the sprocket. Pulled it in and out at least 20 times and got it to my liking. As soon as I turned the sprocket, the vanos would suck in. To add, as soon as it began to bite, I wouldn't turn the sprocket anymore to seat the vanos against the head. Instead, I started the 13mm bolt for the engine hanger and a 10mm on the opposite side and sat the vanos that way, in essence to ensure that there's more than enough room for advancing the camshaft (unless I'm wrong in doing so).

#I also put in new vanos seals (even though the dr vanos one's were really new as well, and a gasket for the vanos.)
#And of course I used the timing blocks and crank pin to hold everything in place.
#First 5 startups with no driving the CEL didn't come on. Drove across the street and restarted the car, CEL came back on. Haven't read the code until tmr
#Pretty WEIRD, but before my CEL came on for the 1519, I drove without the solenoid valve. It then came on after 1k miles

I will be going back tomorrow to change out the throttle position sensor to see if that'll help. And if not then I might be getting a new or used camshaft positioning sensor.
I would have to say that I KNOW timing is correct according to TDC, Blocks, and the Vanos. The vanos could advance a lot more than 12.5 degrees before it hits the camshaft plates that would limit further travel because of how I seated the vanos (in my theory)

I have heard from Beisan and Dr. Vanos that new seals for the vanos take time to "break in" and so it could be throwing off the same CEL

So I have three questions for you guys here
1. Vanos only advances the timing of the camshaft and doesn't retard correct? So either +12.5degrees or "standard" timing, 0
2. What else could be throwing the CEL? I've heard it's the solenoid as well so I might have to pull the valve inside of the solenoid and have the E36 always advanced (because if the CELP1519 is referring to the camshafts not advancing enough, either my camshafts are timed incorrectly or the vanos is not advancing as designed due to solenoid. By pulling the solenoid valve, this would ensure constant advancing which could take out the solenoid as a culprit)
3. The ends (square/rhombus) of the camshaft weren't perpendicular with the timing blocks THOUGH the timing blocks themselves were seated 100 percent on the engine head itself. Flush, no gap, and little resistance from the camshafts if I were to pull the timing blocks straight off. Do I go with timing from the blocks or do I go with timing from the square of the camshaft and whether or not they're perpendicular with the head? If the squares of the camshaft are perpendicular with the head, then the blocks do not fit over the camshafts whatsoever

Power is great, MPG went up from the short stint home according to the MPG counter
Idle is perfect, pickup is smooooth. Frick
Jump to top QuantuM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 05:36:25 AM   #2
Braymond141

United States

Default Re: P1519 Engine Code. Vanos code. Opinions?

You haven't done it right. You need the air tools and a 12v source to activate the vanos on off on off on off BEFORE you lock down the exhaust sprocket.

When you're doing the on/off sequences, you're checking to see that the vanos chain is moving 8mm. Once you've confirmed function, apply power to the solenoid (on), the plunger moves the chain 8mm, then take off power, the chain moves back... when it's back, that's when you lock down the exhaust side.
Jump to top Braymond141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 05:47:10 AM   #3
QuantuM3

United States

How would I do it using the air tools? Any pictures?
Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 06:02:36 AM   #4
QuantuM3

United States

this video helped me
Thanks Brayson
How come I need to on/off/on the travel before locking down the exhaust sprocket? Is it purely to test vanos travel?
Old Mon, Jun-11-2018, 09:30:24 AM   #5
JPoland
Broken My Wallet

United States

Look carefully for the polairty on the solenoid plug. The solenoid has diods in it so you can ruin it if you don't get positive and negative right when you are testing the unit. Again, it is marked on the plug if you look carefully.

Jump to top JPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-12-2018, 04:18:39 AM   #6
QuantuM3

United States

About to order the adapter online to feed air pressure into the vanos.
The shop's snap on scanner will actuate the vanos solenoid for me so I just need the air fitting. Will report back on whether or not this method will work
Few have said that they adjust the timing on the camshafts (within block limits) to secure an extra tooth