BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 03:36:21 AM   #1
derek2079

United States

Default New radiator carís almost overheating. Wasnít bled.

Hi so I live in a small area where I am limited to mechanics who know all of the specifics of these cars.

I changed my rad. I didnít bleed it. It almost overheated. Iíve been reading through posts about how to bleed. For me it isnít that simple.

Itís taking a lot of coolant no leaks.

How long should I let it run with the bleeder cap off? Or should I run the car and the heater with the bleeder cap loose?
Should the actual coolant cap be off as well as the bleeder screw?

Should my car be turned on all of the way or only enough to where the heater comes on?

Also can I mix g11 & g48?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by derek2079; Fri, Jun-08-2018 at 04:03:16 AM.
Jump to top derek2079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 04:35:25 AM   #2
kupferv

United States

Default Re: New radiator carís almost overheating. Wasnít bled.

This is from Understeer.com:10) It really helps to have a friend lend a hand by sitting in the car revving the motor and keeping an eye on the temp gauge. Start off by removing the coolant reservoir cap and the plastic bleeder screw right next to it. Fill the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Have your friend start the car, turn on the heater to full hot on the vent position and rev the motor to about 2500 RPM, if the temp gauge goes past the 12 o'clock position, shut the motor off, let it cool down and start over again. Watch the coolant reservoir, as the engine warms up the coolant level should drop, refill as the coolant is sucked out of the reservoir. Watch the bleeder screw hole also, when coolant with no air bubbles begins to overflow then you're almost done. It's a good idea to have some paper towels handy to mop up any overflow. Screw the bleeder screw back in (be careful to not break the plastic screw) and continue to rev the motor, you should see a continuous stream of coolant spraying in to the reservoir from the small hole at the top. Continue letting that spray in to the reservoir while your friend revs the motor for a couple of minutes, until the gauge hits the 12 o'clock mark, to ensure any remaining air is gone. If the heater is blowing hot air when you're revving the motor AND when the engine is at idle then your cooling system is properly bled. If your vents are blowing cool air at idle then you still have air in the system, try revving the motor more and/or squeeze the radiator hoses to help dislodge any trapped air. Once your system is fully bled, top off the reservoir and replace the cap. Check the coolant level in a day or two and top off as needed.

I followed this after replacing my e36 M3 water pump recently; worked great.
Jump to top kupferv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 05:09:52 AM   #3
derek2079

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupferv View Post
This is from Understeer.com:10) It really helps to have a friend lend a hand by sitting in the car revving the motor and keeping an eye on the temp gauge. Start off by removing the coolant reservoir cap and the plastic bleeder screw right next to it. Fill the coolant reservoir with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Have your friend start the car, turn on the heater to full hot on the vent position and rev the motor to about 2500 RPM, if the temp gauge goes past the 12 o'clock position, shut the motor off, let it cool down and start over again. Watch the coolant reservoir, as the engine warms up the coolant level should drop, refill as the coolant is sucked out of the reservoir. Watch the bleeder screw hole also, when coolant with no air bubbles begins to overflow then you're almost done. It's a good idea to have some paper towels handy to mop up any overflow. Screw the bleeder screw back in (be careful to not break the plastic screw) and continue to rev the motor, you should see a continuous stream of coolant spraying in to the reservoir from the small hole at the top. Continue letting that spray in to the reservoir while your friend revs the motor for a couple of minutes, until the gauge hits the 12 o'clock mark, to ensure any remaining air is gone. If the heater is blowing hot air when you're revving the motor AND when the engine is at idle then your cooling system is properly bled. If your vents are blowing cool air at idle then you still have air in the system, try revving the motor more and/or squeeze the radiator hoses to help dislodge any trapped air. Once your system is fully bled, top off the reservoir and replace the cap. Check the coolant level in a day or two and top off as needed.

I followed this after replacing my e36 M3 water pump recently; worked great.

Well well weíll. Thank you for the feedback. I canít wait to get started first thing tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 05:44:06 AM   #4
M3AN
mmm... lovely!

New Zealand

Also, if you can jack or ramp the front of the car up whilst bleeding that will help.

E36 | S50B32 | 6MT
Jump to top M3AN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 07:37:37 PM   #5
derek2079

United States

Seems like u got it bled. I guess it takes a lot more coolant than I thought it did. Cars running strong.

Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 07:46:32 PM   #6
Bimma360

United States

Hey man, glad you sorted it out. If you are going to be performing maintenance on the car yourself, do yourself a huge favor and buy a Bentley manual for your car. It is a great resource for this type of stuff.

Jump to top Bimma360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jun-08-2018, 08:08:51 PM   #7
tripitz

United States

I bought the vacuum bleeder and even that did not do a good job of getting all of the bubbles out... I also eliminated all of the heater core pipes..

Jacking it up like people said helps a lot.
Jump to top tripitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jun-09-2018, 07:35:59 AM   #8
derek2079

United States

Thanks all for the positive feedback I parked on a steep hill and let it bleed for a good 10 minutes after bleeding it. With the hood popped I could see the Bubbles coming out. It really seems to be fixed. And if not I know what to do. Mishimoto radiators are amazing.

Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 06:08:02 AM   #9
derek2079

United States

Good Heavens itís still almost overheating only on very hot days though. On cooler days it runs fine. As far as I can tell itís bled.

What else can I do to fix this? Is the stock fan up front the problem?

Old Wed, Jun-27-2018, 07:29:11 AM   #10
M3AN
mmm... lovely!

New Zealand

Sounds like it is bled, if there's air in the system it'll overheat at just about any ambient temp.

Radiator blocked or water pump or thermostat not working: once the car has warmed up does the inlet pipe (top hose) to the radiator get hot (if not thermostat stuck closed)? Does the outlet hose (bottom one) also get hot (if not the radiator is blocked or water pump is failing)?

Clutch fan not working: check on Youtube for the newspaper test, real easy.

Aux fan not working: can you activate both the low and high speeds of the fan manually? Pull the connector off the radiator temp switch, three pins, bridge each outside pin with the inside pin one at a time with a paperclip one bridge should turn the electric fan on slow, the other bridge will turn it on full speed. If one of those is broken check fuses, relays and fan controller (the latter may require bumper removal).

Temp switch not working: if the above tests work then let the car get hot, if the aux fan never comes on then it's most likely your temp switch.

E36 | S50B32 | 6MT
Jump to top M3AN is offline   Reply With Quote