BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:17:05 PM   #1
bran.stum

In the garage:

United States

Default Streamline CSL Trunklid Issues

Has anyone else received their Streamline trunklid? I haven't seen any posts from other forum members and was wondering if anyone else is having the same issues I'm having.

First, the paint and bodywork seem rushed. There's a lot of fisheye in the paint, visible sanding marks, like chips in the paint, runs, and crap stuck in/under the clearcoat. I had heard the paint quality was outstanding from others but should have guessed from the $50 price, oh well no big loss.

No holes are punched out aside from the one for the lock, latch, and lights. The tag lights are recessed on the OE one, on this they're just poorly cut out.

My main issue is that the trunklid sits too far outward on the passenger side and almost makes it look unlatched in some pictures (ignore the pollen all over my car)

We have adjusted it from the hinges, the latch on both the trunk and body, the little adjustable rubber posts on the trunk, and pretty much anywhere else possible.

I have already emailed Antony and he said to adjust the spots I have listed above, but we have already spent several hours doing so. Not looking to flame anyone, just looking for more help and suggestions as I don't want to have spent over $800 on something that doesn't fit as advertised.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bran.stum; Mon, Apr-16-2018 at 09:16:58 PM.
Jump to top bran.stum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:24:49 PM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Streamline CSL Trunklid

I've got a fair bit of experience now fitting aftermarket and OE CSL trunks and I've never had that issue. I'm thinking of the different ways to adjust and it's tough to see how that can be fixed as it's protruding quite a bit.

I want to say take it off and start all over as, believe it or not, there are different ways to get the trunk to seem like it's pretty well installed, but in reality, you're way off and it only looks ok because you've (perhaps without even knowing) compensated for one area by adjusting another. This is hard to explain just in text, but my point is that adjusting one thing can have other consequences and affect other parts. If the front pivot point of the side hinge is too low, it can make the very bottom of the bootlid stick out - kind of like how yours is, but I wouldn't guess it'd be THAT bad.

Perhaps it warped a bit out of the mold or something? But I would start all over and get everything loose and put everything to the middle of its respective spec and just try to be as even as you can from side to side before replacing it/selling it/whatever.

The bumpstops and hinge should be done last imo, to dial in any in congruencies, asymmetries.

Evolve-R Alpha N ∑ Evolve CSL CF Airbox ∑ Eventuri Scoop ∑ Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm ∑ SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC ∑ OE sect 2 60mm ∑ SS Sport 60mm ∑ BMW Motorsport 4.10 ∑ Besian ∑ RE pullies/fan delete ∑ WPC rod bearings ∑ TMS Camber & Subf plates ∑ RE Trans Mounts ∑ AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a ∑ SDW RTAB ∑ ZHP knob + UUC DSSR ∑ GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 376/440) + tall RSMs ∑ OE CSL trunk ∑ APEX 75mm Studs ∑ Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" ∑ MPSS 245/275 ∑ Brembo 996 36/40 345mm Textar ∑ Pioneer DEH-80PRS ∑ Eclipse PA5422 ∑ CDT HD-6 + WS-100i ∑ CDT EX-530 ∑ 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 ∑ PPI 1600.4 ∑ CDT HD-6 + HD-100 ∑ CDT EX-530 ∑ Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:31:44 PM   #3
bran.stum

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
I've got a fair bit of experience now fitting aftermarket and OE CSL trunks and I've never had that issue. I'm thinking of the different ways to adjust and it's tough to see how that can be fixed as it's protruding quite a bit.

I want to say take it off and start all over as, believe it or not, there are different ways to get the trunk to seem like it's pretty well installed, but in reality, you're way off and it only looks ok because you've (perhaps without even knowing) compensated for one area by adjusting another. This is hard to explain just in text, but my point is that adjusting one thing can have other consequences and affect other parts. If the front pivot point of the side hinge is too low, it can make the very bottom of the bootlid stick out - kind of like how yours is, but I wouldn't guess it'd be THAT bad.

Perhaps it warped a bit out of the mold or something? But I would start all over and get everything loose and put everything to the middle of its respective spec and just try to be as even as you can from side to side.

The bumpstops and hinge should be done last imo, to dial in any in congruencies, asymmetries.
I'll have to see about starting over on a day with better weather. Right, we would adjust it in one area, lower it and see how it fits, then make adjustments in other areas to see if that would remedy it. A friend of mine tried adjusting how they did at the body shop he worked at and couldn't get it any closer, we even tried loosening up everything, lowering it, and tried adjusting from there.

Unsure on the warp, it seems like it, but after suggesting it to Antony he completely wrote it off.
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:35:10 PM   #4
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

What about scooting the whole passenger side hinge forward? Usually when talking about trunk fitment, you talk about up and down and side to side, but it looks to me like the hinge just needs to be slid forward. Can it move forward at all? On my aftermarket trunk, I made the hinge holes larger to allow for more adjustment - that's another thought if you're stuck with the trunk.

Evolve-R Alpha N ∑ Evolve CSL CF Airbox ∑ Eventuri Scoop ∑ Supersprint V1 stepped 63mm ∑ SS V1 S pipe 63mm + 200 cell HFC ∑ OE sect 2 60mm ∑ SS Sport 60mm ∑ BMW Motorsport 4.10 ∑ Besian ∑ RE pullies/fan delete ∑ WPC rod bearings ∑ TMS Camber & Subf plates ∑ RE Trans Mounts ∑ AKG poly SUB/DIFF 95a ∑ SDW RTAB ∑ ZHP knob + UUC DSSR ∑ GroundControl S/A (Koni/Eibach 376/440) + tall RSMs ∑ OE CSL trunk ∑ APEX 75mm Studs ∑ Sportline 8S 18"x8.5/9.5" ∑ MPSS 245/275 ∑ Brembo 996 36/40 345mm Textar ∑ Pioneer DEH-80PRS ∑ Eclipse PA5422 ∑ CDT HD-6 + WS-100i ∑ CDT EX-530 ∑ 8" Kicker

DD/Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 ∑ PPI 1600.4 ∑ CDT HD-6 + HD-100 ∑ CDT EX-530 ∑ Clarion 10"
Jump to top TboneM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:39:17 PM   #5
FK

United States

Man I hated adjusting my VCSL trunk and it wasn't even that bad. Start from the screws that hold the trunk in place. Make small adjustments and adjust the latch as you do. Helps bring the bottom in a bit closer. Don't tighten anything as you don't want to have it shift. Take your time and understand that it will take a good bit of time to get right. I think I have over 20 hours total into my VCSL trunk for fitment and I'm super picky.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:45:56 PM   #6
bran.stum

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneM3 View Post
What about scooting the whole passenger side hinge forward? Usually when talking about trunk fitment, you talk about up and down and side to side, but it looks to me like the hinge just needs to be slid forward. Can it move forward at all? On my aftermarket trunk, I made the hinge holes larger to allow for more adjustment - that's another thought if you're stuck with the trunk.
I believe we tried sliding it forward as well. Trying to avoid modifying parts of my car to fit a replica if I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK View Post
Man I hated adjusting my VCSL trunk and it wasn't even that bad. Start from the screws that hold the trunk in place. Make small adjustments and adjust the latch as you do. Helps bring the bottom in a bit closer. Don't tighten anything as you don't want to have it shift. Take your time and understand that it will take a good bit of time to get right. I think I have over 20 hours total into my VCSL trunk for fitment and I'm super picky.
Did that as well, even loosened everything and lowered it (with no latch) and tried to see if we could even get it to sit correctly, but to no avail. Have heard the VCSL is a pita too lol
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 09:01:15 PM   #7
FK

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran.stum View Post
I believe we tried sliding it forward as well. Trying to avoid modifying parts of my car to fit a replica if I can

Did that as well, even loosened everything and lowered it (with no latch) and tried to see if we could even get it to sit correctly, but to no avail. Have heard the VCSL is a pita too lol
I'd wait for DaytonaViolet to chime in cuz he's the CSL trunk God. But the VCSL especially CF ones you gotta be gentle and it blows.

Very frustrating making it try to fit. I'd agree with Tbone at this point. Take it off and reinstall it.
Jump to top FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 09:09:27 PM   #8
Braymond141

United States

I've spent an hour working on that lid. It's warped, period. I already went through all methods to adjust it.

In addition to the issues already mentioned, the edges of the lid are very poorly finished, and it appears the overall shape of it is just too small. You either have to sacrifice the lower gap to make the top as flush as possible or close the gap and have it sunk in.

Last edited by Braymond141; Mon, Apr-16-2018 at 09:16:13 PM.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 09:18:13 PM   #9
Kyle90

United States

I’m glad streamline is getting further exposed for their poor fitment. I’ve encountered issues with both the csl front bumper and rear diffuser that they sent me. It is very clear they do not test fit the pieces as they have claimed. They are great at placing all blame on the installer for lack of skill. Since they are a new company I’ve been very patiently waiting for them to address their fitment issues. Hopefully their products can match the amount of hype they generate.

Perhaps you can show some pictures of how well you have the top lined up as I’m sure they will ask for this anyways....
Jump to top Kyle90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 09:20:19 PM   #10
Braymond141

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle90 View Post
Iím glad streamline is getting further exposed for their poor fitment. Iíve encountered issues with both the csl front bumper and rear diffuser that they sent me. It is very clear they do not test fit the pieces as they have claimed. They are great at placing all blame on the installer for lack of skill. Since they are a new company Iíve been very patiently waiting for them to address their fitment issues. Hopefully their products can match the amount of hype they generate.

Perhaps you can show some pictures of how well you have the top lined up as Iím sure they will ask for this anyways....
I'll help him document this. I had a feeling others were waiting to comment as well too. Ugh.
Jump to top Braymond141 is offline   Reply With Quote