BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 05:18:27 AM   #31
Illiyonks

United States

Default Re: Buyer beware/scam - ElusiveFX (Tab Khan)

Someone else posted a very similar experience with this guy on the m3forum facebook group. Guy seems shady as ****, good call on walking away. Buying a car through ebay is basically like buying it from a local dealer, actually even worse since you dont see it (box full of questions marks). It sounds like you want a very particular car, and with that being said i suggest you purchase from a private party enthusiast owner who can tell you the cars history etc.
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 02:56:07 PM   #32
TrackRat951

United States

I let it go until now, but thought I'd relay my experience trying to purchase a car from ElusiveFX. Last June, I reached out to Tab about a SGM on black 2004 coupe that had been listed on Ebay. I was coming from Texas, so I knew it was a bit of a risk. It was a 100k mile car, and looked good in the photos. We exchanged a couple of phone calls in which he presented the car as a solid driver, and provided a clean carfax report on the car. He was a bit evasive in answering some of my specific questions regarding condition, which had me doubting, but I scheduled a PPI.

I tried to get him to take the car to a shop that was recommended by the board, but it wasn't convenient to him, so I went with another option, Performance Werks (I don't recall if Tab recommended them, or if I found them). PPI came back with a couple of small items, but overall they said it was a very solid car.

I tried to get a friend to check it out to get one more set of eyes on it, but the car was over an hour away from him, and I didn't want this one to get away. So, I booked my flight to Chicago, and had my dad book his flight, as we've made a bit of a habit of taking trips together, when I buy new cars.

We flew into Chicago and Tab picked us up in an M3, but not the one that I planned to purchase. We had a good conversation about buying/selling cars, and the craziness in the market for the new classics.

All along, Tab had presented the car as a clean driver, and the PPI supported this. When we arrived at his place, I encountered a car that was far below my expectations. Despite the clean carfax, the car had clearly been hit on the front passenger side. The repairs, if I can call them that, were horribly performed - plastic liners missing or held up with zip ties, bumper drooping due to either a broken bumper support or missing foam, broken headlight trim, etc.

I took the car for a test drive, to see if it had any redeeming qualities on the road, but was disappointed there, as well. The power steering was making groaning noises when turning in one direction, and the car just felt tired. During the test drive, I noticed that the rear view mirror was exhibiting the line indicating that it had failed (a question that I specifically asked Tab, and he never answered). Overall, the interior was rough.

At the end of the day, at the price of $16.5k, it would have needed another $8-10k worth of work to be a solid driver. In my estimate, his asking price was $4k high.

I was pretty pissed to say the least, but as I was stuck an hour away from Chicago airport with my luggage and my dad, I didn't have a lot of options. We looked at the multiple other cars that he had at his place, but none of them were worth it to me, they were either priced too high or were pretty beat.

The trip did end on a positive note. Tab suggested that I take a look at a friend's dealership (Gold Coast Motors), as they had a couple of M3's available. They had a 94k SGM for $22.5k that was a southern car and quite clean. I ended up negotiating the price down to $20.5k, and took her home.

To summarize, it's pretty clear that Tab is trying to capitalize on the rising values of e46 M3's, but his offerings seem to be significantly overpriced. He isn't very forthcoming with information, so if you're planning to purchase from him, do your due diligence. And don't use Performance Werks for your PPI - I called them on my ride home, and demanded a refund, as it was the only compensation that I could get for what was almost a wasted trip.
Jump to top TrackRat951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 04:53:08 PM   #33
lsbe36

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your message.
Once again, you were interested in a car, and you did not like it nor did you purchase it. We did not take a deposit from you, we took it off the market for you to be able to fly in and view it in person. You did have a PPI scheduled a shop that you picked out.

The real question is: Why did the shop that did the PPI not find all the things you found wrong with the car?

To recap: The car was a 04' E46 M3 Silver Gray/Black Navigation 2 Owner w/ 100K miles.

You gave us a list of items that were found during the PPI and we negotiated the car price down to $16.4K which for a 2004 Silver Gray M3 w/ 100K is a very good price, much lower than anyone else sells that car for. Not sure where you are finding these for less than that amount, please do share the links if you may.

Off the top of my head:
The tail lights would need to be replaced due to the LED having a flickering issue and we even purchased an extra set and put them in the trunk, oil level sensor would need to be replaced, the rearview mirror leak is something we can send to Radar Z Mirrors and have fixed, this is a common issue on these cars.

To Recap:
We picked you up from the airport, and we also recommend Gold Coast Motors a friend, and competitors store for you to purchase a cleaner example in the same color, I even mentioned to you we planned on buying the one they had but they beat us to it. Since you were unhappy, we took you to our friend's store, and even got you in touch with them immediately. Not sure how many resellers will assist you to drive you from the airport, then when they don't buy their car, take you to a competitors store where you find pretty much exactly what you are looking for. I even texted you after to follow up and make sure you were happy with the car you picked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat951 View Post
I let it go until now, but thought I'd relay my experience trying to purchase a car from ElusiveFX. Last June, I reached out to Tab about a SGM on black 2004 coupe that had been listed on Ebay. I was coming from Texas, so I knew it was a bit of a risk. It was a 100k mile car, and looked good in the photos. We exchanged a couple of phone calls in which he presented the car as a solid driver, and provided a clean carfax report on the car. He was a bit evasive in answering some of my specific questions regarding condition, which had me doubting, but I scheduled a PPI.

Jon, it was exactly that a driver. Not a concours piece, that you would later flip for a profit. You shared stories of 996 Porsches you bought and sold for a profit, if that was your intent here it wasn't going to happen.

This was a used 04 M3 w/ 100k on the clock

I tried to get him to take the car to a shop that was recommended by the board, but it wasn't convenient to him, so I went with another option, Performance Werks (I don't recall if Tab recommended them, or if I found them). PPI came back with a couple of small items, but overall they said it was a very solid car.

You asked us to take a car to a shop that was over an hour away, and that was booked solid. Here is your email to me:

Tab,
I reached out to https://7thgearautorepair.com/ to check on their ability to perform a PPI. I haven't heard back from them, but I'd like to take the next steps with the car.

I'm not sure what level of interest you're getting with the car, but once the PPI is scheduled, I'm hoping that you'll agree to a refundable deposit on the car, as I'd prefer to stake a claim to the car at that point.

In the meantime, can you tell me if anyone else has had a PPI performed on it, while you've had it for sale?

Also, is there any chance you have additional photos of the car? Any additional shots of the interior (pedal assembly), or underbody? Any delamination of the side mirrors, or signs that the rearview mirror is losing fluid?

You wanted a refundable deposit? Never have a heard of that, and would I agree to such a thing, so I told you simply we don't need a deposit come view the car if you like it you can buy it. If not no big deal

I tried to get a friend to check it out to get one more set of eyes on it, but the car was over an hour away from him, and I didn't want this one to get away. So, I booked my flight to Chicago, and had my dad book his flight, as we've made a bit of a habit of taking trips together, when I buy new cars.

Once again, not my fault your buddy couldn't come out and you decided to go for a road trip.

We flew into Chicago and Tab picked us up in an M3, but not the one that I planned to purchase. We had a good conversation about buying/selling cars, and the craziness in the market for the new classics.

Yes, I picked you up in a Carbon Black/Gray E46 M3. I was driving this car most of the summer

All along, Tab had presented the car as a clean driver, and the PPI supported this. When we arrived at his place, I encountered a car that was far below my expectations. Despite the clean carfax, the car had clearly been hit on the front passenger side. The repairs, if I can call them that, were horribly performed - plastic liners missing or held up with zip ties, bumper drooping due to either a broken bumper support or missing foam, broken headlight trim, etc.

It was exactly what a driver. Most E46 M3' bumpers have a bit of sag due to the brackets over years getting brittle and failing. We provided you with a Carfax report, and we allowed you to get a PPI inspection. We didn't have any other information on this car or service records, which we told you. All the records we had were the factory BMW campaign service history which showed factory recalls and work done up to 50K miles at the dealer while under warranty

I took the car for a test drive, to see if it had any redeeming qualities on the road, but was disappointed there, as well. The power steering was making groaning noises when turning in one direction, and the car just felt tired. During the test drive, I noticed that the rear view mirror was exhibiting the line indicating that it had failed (a question that I specifically asked Tab, and he never answered). Overall, the interior was rough.

Rear view mirrors leak on all these cars, it costs me $100 to fix. I discounted the car that to have it repaired or I could have sent it out

At the end of the day, at the price of $16.5k, it would have needed another $8-10k worth of work to be a solid driver. In my estimate, his asking price was $4k high.

So my car was worth $12k? ok.

I was pretty pissed to say the least, but as I was stuck an hour away from Chicago airport with my luggage and my dad, I didn't have a lot of options. We looked at the multiple other cars that he had at his place, but none of them were worth it to me, they were either priced too high or were pretty beat.

You're a flipper, everything seems high to a flipper.

The trip did end on a positive note. Tab suggested that I take a look at a friend's dealership (Gold Coast Motors), as they had a couple of M3's available. They had a 94k SGM for $22.5k that was a southern car and quite clean. I ended up negotiating the price down to $20.5k, and took her home.

Glad they could help.

To summarize, it's pretty clear that Tab is trying to capitalize on the rising values of e46 M3's, but his offerings seem to be significantly overpriced. He isn't very forthcoming with information, so if you're planning to purchase from him, do your due diligence. And don't use Performance Werks for your PPI - I called them on my ride home, and demanded a refund, as it was the only compensation that I could get for what was almost a wasted trip.
I provide all the information I have been given, I am not the original owner on any of these cars. I simply buy them, clean them up and resell them.
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 04:56:50 PM   #34
lsbe36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhan987 View Post
2 years ago I came across a jet black/imola red slick top e46 m3 on ebay that Tab was selling. I reached out to him so I could take a look at the car and Tab was more than happy to work around my schedule. After seeing the car the first time, I was more than impressed. I had a friend of mine who knows e46s well come with the next day to look at the car with me and Tab accommodated our schedule. He even showed us a few of the other cars that he had. We made a deal and I picked up the car a few days later. The entire time Tab was more than willing to help me out with any documentation I needed for the bank and always replied to any call/message. Even after I bought the car he was willing to answer any questions I had about performance parts and maintenance, and he even suggested a few shops in the area that he uses. If I ever find myself in a situation where I have to buy another e46 m3, I would not hesitate to contact Tab.
Thanks for the positive feedback Shar. That's a sweet combo, I should have kept it for myself.
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 05:24:23 PM   #35
TrackRat951

United States

Tab,
I see that you edited your response. Yes, there's an issue with the shop that performed the PPI, which is why I called them out.

I think my review is pretty accurate, as disclosing the front end damage in our communication would have saved me a lot of time and money and would have saved you a wasted trip to the airport. I'll certainly take some of the blame for pursuing a deal that was too good to be true, but providing additional photos of the car and straight answers, when I requested them would have saved us both a lot of hassle.

For reference, this is an example of the pictures I provided buyers for the ZHP that I sold, last year. It took me 30 minutes to put these together, and the first guy that looked at the car bought it.

Appreciate you reaching out to me offline, but I can't think of anything that can be done to improve the situation at this point. As I stated, I don't think you're a bad guy, but if I was considering buying a car from you, I would definitely want to get someone that I know and trust to put eyes on the car before I booked a plane flight. It's one of the risks of buying a car that isn't local.

Edit to address your comment - Tab, the bumper was not sagging due to age, it had clearly been hit, and a poor attempt made to repair it. A clear picture of the front of the car would have made this readily apparent as the difference in the gap between the passenger and driver's side was significant. I picked up on the damage immediately.

-Jon

Last edited by TrackRat951; Fri, Apr-13-2018 at 05:29:44 PM.
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 05:40:21 PM   #36
lsbe36

Tab,
I see that you edited your response. Yes, there's an issue with the shop that performed the PPI, which is why I called them out.

I think my review is pretty accurate, as disclosing the front end damage in our communication would have saved me a lot of time and money and would have saved you a wasted trip to the airport. I'll certainly take some of the blame for pursuing a deal that was too good to be true, but providing additional photos of the car and straight answers, when I requested them would have saved us both a lot of hassle.

We provide everyone with the same 24+ pictures eBay allows us to post on their portal. We take an additional 50+ pictures that are available upon request for each and every car that we share using a dropbox folder or google drive.

For reference, this is an example of the pictures I provided buyers for the ZHP that I sold, last year. It took me 30 minutes to put these together, and the first guy that looked at the car bought it.

Appreciate you reaching out to me offline, but I can't think of anything that can be done to improve the situation at this point.

What situation? That you came to check out a car and didn't buy it over a year ago? That I drove you and your father around Chicago in my car spending my time? If you had some courtesy you would reply to an offline email, that simply states if you have any questions or concerns give me a call directly.

As I stated, I don't think you're a bad guy, but if I was considering buying a car from you, I would definitely want to get someone that I know and trust to put eyes on the car before I booked a plane flight. It's one of the risks of buying a car that isn't local.

The situation is, you didn't like my car. You bought my friends car, and I helped facilitate the sale and even asked him to give you a good deal on it, I did not get a commission for doing any of that, and he knocked off $2K off his sales price due to the situation. If you do not believe me give his store a call right now to confirm. If you realize that or not is a different story but that's how it went down and the least you can do is be appreciative.

Edit to address your comment - Tab, the bumper was not sagging due to age, it had clearly been hit, and a poor attempt made to repair it. A clear picture of the front of the car would have made this readily apparent as the difference in the gap between the passenger and driver's side was significant. I picked up on the damage immediately.

Thats fine you have your opinion, the carfax was clean, and the PPI inspection shop didn't catch this either (so they issued you a full refund, I never took a deposit on the car (so you didn't get screwed out of any cash), sounds like you're a pro. Sorry we couldn't make a deal, and glad you got something else, no hard feelings.

-Jon

Last edited by lsbe36; Fri, Apr-13-2018 at 05:47:07 PM.
Jump to top lsbe36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 06:33:11 PM   #37
Sephiroth
4-6-8

In the garage:

India

Whew! Reading this thread makes me glad im not selling (or buying) cars for a long time.
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 09:36:21 PM   #38
WALKD_U

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Whew! Reading this thread makes me glad im not selling (or buying) cars for a long time.
agreed...

2005 JB/BLK 330i ZHP
NA Bolt-ons
207whp/216wtq SAE Corrected

1996 BLU/BLK M3
NA Bolt-ons
235whp/225wtq SAE Corrected

1988 SETA 325I
NA Bolt-ons
165whp/160wtq SAE Corrected
Jump to top WALKD_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 10:16:40 PM   #39
TrackRat951

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbe36 View Post
What situation? That you came to check out a car and didn't buy it over a year ago? That I drove you and your father around Chicago in my car spending my time? If you had some courtesy you would reply to an offline email, that simply states if you have any questions or concerns give me a call directly.

As I stated, I don't think you're a bad guy, but if I was considering buying a car from you, I would definitely want to get someone that I know and trust to put eyes on the car before I booked a plane flight. It's one of the risks of buying a car that isn't local.

The situation is, you didn't like my car. You bought my friends car, and I helped facilitate the sale and even asked him to give you a good deal on it, I did not get a commission for doing any of that, and he knocked off $2K off his sales price due to the situation. If you do not believe me give his store a call right now to confirm. If you realize that or not is a different story but that's how it went down and the least you can do is be appreciative.

Thats fine you have your opinion, the carfax was clean, and the PPI inspection shop didn't catch this either (so they issued you a full refund, I never took a deposit on the car (so you didn't get screwed out of any cash), sounds like you're a pro. Sorry we couldn't make a deal, and glad you got something else, no hard feelings.
Tab,
This thread was started due to someone having a bad experience with you. I see no problems with sharing my experience on the forum, so that people don't make the same mistake that I did - not having the car checked out by someone trusted and knowledgable on e46 M3's.

I understand and appreciate that you drove my dad and I to your house to view the car and then to Gold Coast Motors. However, as I stated, the inconvenience to both of us, the loss of your time, and the cost of two plane tickets and a day's work for me, could have been avoided had you been more upfront with your description of the car.

The passenger side front bumper had been in an impact, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. You recommended the shop that performed the PPI to me in a text, and I did get a refund from them, as they failed to accurately assess the car.

Whether or not you asked your friend to give me a deal on the car I bought is honestly irrelevant. If he hadn't come to the price we agreed on, I was booking two flights back to Austin for my father and myself, that afternoon. I'd made those arrangements as soon as we finished looking at your cars. If the deal with Gold Coast had not worked out, I would have immediately posted something very similar to the first post in this thread.

If you want to call me a flipper, that's fine. I buy cars that I don't think will depreciate, and sell them when I'm ready to move on. I took a refundable deposit on the first 996 that I sold, and spent two days running WGI with the guy that bought it, before we closed the deal. He bought the car knowing that it had been in accident that was not reported on Carfax, and I provided pictures of the damage in our initial communications. Any car that I sell, I provide as much detail as possible.

There's no hard feelings on my end, I just want to make sure that any board member not make the same mistakes that I made in looking to purchase a car from you, if they can't look at the car in person.

-Jon
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 10:42:02 PM   #40
lsbe36

Tab,
This thread was started due to someone having a bad experience with you. I see no problems with sharing my experience on the forum, so that people don't make the same mistake that I did - not having the car checked out by someone trusted and knowledgable on e46 M3's.
Bottom line you never purchased a car from me. You inquired and decided to fly out and bought another one down the street
I understand and appreciate that you drove my dad and I to your house to view the car and then to Gold Coast Motors. However, as I stated, the inconvenience to both of us, the loss of your time, and the cost of two plane tickets and a day's work for me, could have been avoided had you been more upfront with your description of the car.

Explain to me how you lost time and plane tickets? You left chicago with a car. Be thankful and appreciative don't come out at me and complain. After I helped put that deal together for no compensation on my end.

The passenger side front bumper had been in an impact, that's not an opinion, it's a fact. You recommended the shop that performed the PPI to me in a text, and I did get a refund from them, as they failed to accurately assess the car.

So you got a refund from a shop? Why are you upset? That car is sold and long gone and you didn't get it.

Whether or not you asked your friend to give me a deal on the car I bought is honestly irrelevant. If he hadn't come to the price we agreed on, I was booking two flights back to Austin for my father and myself, that afternoon. I'd made those arrangements as soon as we finished looking at your cars. If the deal with Gold Coast had not worked out, I would have immediately posted something very similar to the first post in this thread.

How is you getting the car you wanted for a deal irrelevant? That's the whole moral of the story here. You didn't buy product so you bought a friends. I helped you get there and told them to give you a deal on it. If that's not called going out of my way then. I don't know what to say.

If you want to call me a flipper, that's fine. I buy cars that I don't think will depreciate, and sell them when I'm ready to move on. I took a refundable deposit on the first 996 that I sold, and spent two days running WGI with the guy that bought it, before we closed the deal. He bought the car knowing that it had been in accident that was not reported on Carfax, and I provided pictures of the damage in our initial communications. Any car that I sell, I provide as much detail as possible.

You take advantage of people that are smaller retailers so you can cash out and profit and slander their name when you didn't even buy any of my cars. Seems kind of pointless.

There's no hard feelings on my end, I just want to make sure that any board member not make the same mistakes that I made in looking to purchase a car from you, if they can't look at the car in person.

Seems like a joke. Your complaining about a car you never bought. People come and check out cars all the time. For sale by dealerships and private individuals. No hard feelings on my end either good luck with your IT company.

-Jon