BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 05:24:34 PM   #1
SP-1

United States

Default Buyer beware/scam - ElusiveFX (Tab Khan)

Hi everyone,

I just dodged a huge bullet by walking away from a deal with ElusiveFX (Tab Khan) and wanted to share my experience so that no one here gets burned by him.

Many of you who follow the market will have seen ElusiveFX flipping a number of well-optioned M3s on eBay, Cars.com, etc. Although he claims to be a dealer, he is not and will push to transact as a private party. Also, for whatever reason, he does not accept financing from traditional/reputable financial institutions.

Background -
Last night, I decided to pull the trigger on his 2005 Alpine White 6MT ZCP (WBSBL93455PN63166) that has been on the market for quite some time. I ran a Carfax and saw that a PPI was done at Bill Jacobs BMW two weeks ago and asked if he could share the findings. He claimed that it was commissioned by a potential buyer and that he does not have access to the report. I was told that buyer ultimately walked away because he could not secure financing for the vehicle. This morning, I called the dealership to see if I could gather any takeaways from the service adviser and was surprised to hear that Tab Khan brought the car in himself and NOT a potential buyer as he stated. This leads me to believe that there is something seriously wrong with the car and he is trying to hide it.

After the auction ended, he kept pressing for the $300 deposit while dodging some very basic questions about the car. I merely asked via text if he had the service records for the recent Inspection II and if the subframe had been inspected for any issues. He then insisted that we discuss these matters over the phone and seemed very hesitant to confirm anything in writing. When pressed harder, he blew up and claimed that I was wasting his time and threatened to relist the vehicle.

I reassured him that I was a serious buyer but needed to check the box on a few items before moving forward. We went back and forth for a bit over text before I brought up my findings on the PPI being done by him. There has been no word from him since and the vehicle has since been relisted on eBay.

In my brief encounter with Tab Khan, he seemed like a VERY shady character. If you do decide to deal with him, do so at your own risk and proceed with extreme caution.

Link to the car below:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22292117058...m=222921170583
Jump to top SP-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 05:54:14 PM   #2
SlickmisterN
Surrounded By Grapes

Greece

Default Re: Buyer beware/scam - ElusiveFX (Tab Khan)

Poor quality pics, funky trunk handle and rear emblem placement lead me to believe it was in a rear ender.
Jump to top SlickmisterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 06:33:45 PM   #3
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP-1 View Post

After the auction ended
, he kept pressing for the $300 deposit while dodging some very basic questions about the car. I merely asked via text if he had the service records for the recent Inspection II and if the subframe had been inspected for any issues.
I reassured him that I was a serious buyer but needed to check the box on a few items before moving forward.
You bid on the car, won - and then when the seller asked for the deposit....you started asking for documentation before you were willing to honor your bid.

The time for asking questiona is before bidding - not after winning the auction.

FWIW - its almost always the seller that brings a car for PPI - not the prospective buyer(s). The prospective buyer pays for the PPI - and usually is the only one who receives the report. Your expectations are backwards. Its foolish to turn your car over to a stranger to drive about town for a claimed PPI.

While the seller might have had some issues (I don't know) - you have your fair share of them as well.
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 06:40:23 PM   #4
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
You bid on the car, won - and then when the seller asked for the deposit....you started asking for documentation before you were willing to honor your bid.

The time for asking questiona is before bidding - not after winning the auction.

FWIW - its almost always the seller that brings a car for PPI - not the prospective buyer(s). The prospective buyer pays for the PPI - and usually is the only one who receives the report. Your expectations are backwards. Its foolish to turn your car over to a stranger to drive about town for a claimed PPI.

While the seller might have had some issues (I don't know) - you have your fair share of them as well.
I think there's a lot of gray area in the purchase process. For my car, the seller and I agreed on the price. And when I took the car to get a PPI, I was able to negotiate the price of the car further. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to secure rights to the car before doing a PPI.

A good seller would have just released that information anyways and in this case, it was shady that the seller lied about it.
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 06:43:35 PM   #5
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
I think there's a lot of gray area in the purchase process. For my car, the seller and I agreed on the price. And when I took the car to get a PPI, I was able to negotiate the price of the car further. I don't think it's necessarily wrong to secure rights to the car before doing a PPI.

A good seller would have just released that information anyways and in this case, it was shady that the seller lied about it.
I never said that a PPI contingency was an issue. But that contingent agreement needs to be well in place before closing the deal. A buyer that has committed to a purchase with no agreed contingencies or conditions - and then tries to re-negotiate after the deal is welshing.

ETA: What did the seller lie about?

Last edited by lmtfi; Thu, Apr-12-2018 at 11:11:04 PM.
Jump to top lmtfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 07:07:55 PM   #6
MrCooperS

United States

Quote:
I never said that a PPI contingency was an issue. But that contingent agreement needs to be well in place before closing the deal. A buyer that has committed to a purchase with no agreed contingencies or conditions - and then tries to re-negotiate after the deal is welshing.
In a traditional sales model, sure. But how do you add a contingency to an auction sale? Last I checked, eBay doesn't offer this as an option.

You could say the buyer shouldn't have agreed to purchase, but the seller was also shady as hell and could've fooled another buyer into purchasing a potential lemon.
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 10:03:00 PM   #7
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCooperS View Post
In a traditional sales model, sure. But how do you add a contingency to an auction sale? Last I checked, eBay doesn't offer this as an option.

You could say the buyer shouldn't have agreed to purchase, but the seller was also shady as hell and could've fooled another buyer into purchasing a potential lemon.
You could send them a document where both parties agree that:

> The seller agrees to have a PPI done at the buyer's expense, and
> The buyer is released from the deal if the PPI identified repairs that exceed $ X.

Most auction sellers will balk at that - and I think for good reason.

If you want to PPI a car - why would you complicate your life by bidding for one in an auction? IMO - that difficulty is on the buyer. Same for test drives.

You can't just go around trying to re-wire things to your choosing. Auctions are generally "Sold as-is, where is."

Want to do the transaction "your way"? Then look somewhere other than an auction.

----

IMO the Op is asking for legal trouble by labeling the seller as a scammer. I don't see evidence of that in the OP's account.
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 10:21:35 PM   #8
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
You could send them a document where both parties agree that:

> The seller agrees to have a PPI done at the buyer's expense, and
> The buyer is released from the deal if the PPI identified repairs that exceed $ X.

Most auction sellers will balk at that - and I think for good reason.

If you want to PPI a car - why would you complicate your life by bidding for one in an auction? IMO - that difficulty is on the buyer. Same for test drives.

You can't just go around trying to re-wire things to your choosing. Auctions are generally "Sold as-is, where is."

Want to do the transaction "your way"? Then look somewhere other than an auction.

----

IMO the Op is asking for legal trouble by labeling the seller as a scammer. I don't see evidence of that in the OP's account.
I don't know man. Most auctions online, aka eBay, are well understood that you are buying a product that is accurately described and represented honestly. I suppose if the auction said "buys as is where is, NO PPI allowed, no returns no takes backsies" then I'm with you. But online auctions are well evolved from the typical live car auction and if the seller is knowingly misrepresenting and not being forthcoming about some easy questions, well, that's on the seller. No reason to dodge like that unless you are hiding something to make a quick buck cause you're a douchetoy.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 10:34:01 PM   #9
lsbe36

Hi this is the seller. Correct we encourage PPI inspections, they must be completed prior to clicking buy it now on our listings. This was not an auction item, if it was we would still encourage an inspection prior to bidding on our items. Thanks ElusiveFx
Old Thu, Apr-12-2018, 10:35:18 PM   #10
lsbe36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
Poor quality pics, funky trunk handle and rear emblem placement lead me to believe it was in a rear ender.
Correct this car has an accident on carfax and paint work on rear bumper, rear body molding and rear decklid, we have mentioned this to prospective buyer and have text message proof provided picture of the rear bumper accident prior to repair.

Last edited by lsbe36; Thu, Apr-12-2018 at 10:38:20 PM.
Jump to top lsbe36 is offline   Reply With Quote