BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 02:27:23 AM   #1
Pbj24

In the garage:

United States

Default Throttle position problems, codes P0121 and P1637, new throttle actuator + sensors an

I've been chasing after a throttle position problem for months now. Car randomly throws an EML light and goes into limp mode. Getting codes P0121 and P1637. I have changed the front TPS by the filter, throttle actuator w/ the TPS, and the gas pedal in that order. But the car will still throw the EML light. I have also recently installed a new 12v.

I do not have access to GT1. Any suggestions? Any type of help is appreciated
Jump to top Pbj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 04:13:04 AM   #2
maestro416

United States

Default Re: Throttle position problems, codes P0121 and P1637, new throttle actuator + sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbj24 View Post
I've been chasing after a throttle position problem for months now. Car randomly throws an EML light and goes into limp mode. Getting codes P0121 and P1637. I have changed the front TPS by the filter, throttle actuator w/ the TPS, and the gas pedal in that order. But the car will still throw the EML light. I have also recently installed a new 12v.

I do not have access to GT1. Any suggestions? Any type of help is appreciated
Do you ever get jerking where power cuts on/off? Sometimes it's a bad maf. I had that issue and turned out to be the tune was for a short ram intake which relocates the maf, but I had a stock box. Basically previous owner sold the intake but didn't bother retuning.

Also, once you replace the tps, you should also be resetting the throttle adaptation.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Jump to top maestro416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 06:22:17 AM   #3
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Throttle position problems, codes P0121 and P1637, new throttle actuator + sensor

I had the same issue as you. I bought a new top TPS, throttle actuator (came with a new TPS), and a gas pedal. The problem still occurred. Frustrated, I came on here to do more research. I found out, dirty connections can sometimes throw a code. I purchased a can of electronic connection cleaner from Autozone and sprayed down the connections. While I had the MAF out, I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. Ever since that day, my car has never thrown a P1637 code again. Worth a shot, if you haven't tried this already. Best of luck!
B&B TriFlow Section 3 | AP V2 headers | TMS Power Pulleys | aFe Drop In Dry Filter | Macht Schnell Intake Elbow | TTFS Tune | CSF Radiator & Oil Cooler | AST 4200 Coilovers | Ground Control Race Camber Plates & RSMs | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Hotchkis Front Sway Bar | Stoptech ST40 Front & Rear BBK | UUC EVO3 SSK with DSSR | ZHP Knob | Orion V4 | Matte Black Kidney/Side Grills | 35% Tint | Apex 75mm Wheel Studs | H&R Trak+ 10mm Spacers | 19" VMR CSL Reps | 245/275 Continental ExtremeContact DW
Track Stuff: Apex ARC-8s 18x10 ET25 | 275/35/18 Nitto NT01s | Schroth Quick Fits | PFC 08s

2000 BMW M Roadster 5MT - TiAg/Black
TCK D/A | Lightwerkz Projector Headlights | LeatherZ Interior Bits | BMW Performance Knob | OEM Square 17x9 Roadstars

2016 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT - AW/SO
Color Matched Front Reflectors | Lightweight Front Lip | M Performance Rear Spoiler | Black 666Ms

Instagram
E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 04:28:09 PM   #4
ATB88

United States

+1 on cleaning the connections. After replacing both TPS's my car frustratingly ended up in limp mode because the connector for the MAF was dirty, or so the mechanic I limped the car to insisted.
Jump to top ATB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-03-2018, 04:50:47 PM   #5
Pbj24

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro416 View Post
Do you ever get jerking where power cuts on/off? Sometimes it's a bad maf. I had that issue and turned out to be the tune was for a short ram intake which relocates the maf, but I had a stock box. Basically previous owner sold the intake but didn't bother retuning.

Also, once you replace the tps, you should also be resetting the throttle adaptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I had the same issue as you. I bought a new top TPS, throttle actuator (came with a new TPS), and a gas pedal. The problem still occurred. Frustrated, I came on here to do more research. I found out, dirty connections can sometimes throw a code. I purchased a can of electronic connection cleaner from Autozone and sprayed down the connections. While I had the MAF out, I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. Ever since that day, my car has never thrown a P1637 code again. Worth a shot, if you haven't tried this already. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATB88 View Post
+1 on cleaning the connections. After replacing both TPS's my car frustratingly ended up in limp mode because the connector for the MAF was dirty, or so the mechanic I limped the car to insisted.

I did remove the MAF and cleaned it. However I did not clean the connector, I'll clean that today. How do you reset the throttle adaptations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top Pbj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 05:42:44 AM   #6
maestro416

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbj24 View Post
I did remove the MAF and cleaned it. However I did not clean the connector, I'll clean that today. How do you reset the throttle adaptations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do it through bmwlogger, but there are other softwares that do it too. I don't believe you can do it without connecting to the odb port. There's some free software as well that does it, I just can't remember the name. Ask in the coding section of the forums. Def a lot of knowledge there.

Jump to top maestro416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 07:38:01 AM   #7
Syfon

Australia

I'm also in a very similar position to OP at the moment. Hopefully someone can provide some assistance which will help both the OP & I

My M3 first experienced an issue a few weeks back where whilst driving (highway, 100km/h, cruise control on!), the throttle went jittery and jumpy, then went to limp mode with no power etc. I did not have an EML or check engine light. Scanned for codes that night and retrieved codes 118, 119, 120, 121 & 230.

118 - Electronic Throttle Potentiometer Bank 1
119 - Electronic Throttle Potentiometer Bank 2
120 - Electronic Throttle Potentiometer Comparison
121 - Electronic Throttle Both Potentiometers Faulty
230 - Electronic Throttle Setpoint Value Deviation

I replaced the battery as that died (never replaced it in over 3 years of ownership), also replaced the fuel pump with a Walbro 255 (upon advice from many people that the issue could have been a faulty or failing fuel pump, I now know this was note the case).

Car then drove 100% normal for about a week until I received EML + DSC + Yellow Hand Brake lights. Scanned for codes again, same codes as above.

Two nights ago I removed the intake plenum and replaced the bottom Throttle Position Sensor (bolted to the Throttle Body Actuator). Car started and drove, however wouldn't rev properly and once again threw the EML etc lights.

My guess is either the Throttle Pedal TPS (i.e. the sensor in the accelerator pedal) or the Throttle Body Actuator is faulty and needs replacement?

Engine wise, it has a K&N Typhoon intake. I've cleaned the pod-filter many times and re-oiled with a little genuine K&N oil. Never cleaned the MAF. Also has a Build Journal B-Spec Tune.

Looking for help/advice to fix this issue!

Edit: I'll remove the MAF tonight and clean with MAF cleaner. I'll also use electrical contact cleaner to clean all contacts.

Last edited by Syfon; Thu, Apr-05-2018 at 08:13:20 AM.
Jump to top Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 07:19:29 PM   #8
carson432

In the garage:

United States

Be sure that the throttle actuator rod is not hitting anything and rotates with no obstructions. I installed new intake clamps and the bolts on the rod would hit the screw heads on the clamps and through the car into limp mode .I rotated the clamps and problem was solved.
Jump to top carson432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 11:15:41 PM   #9
Syfon

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by carson432 View Post
Be sure that the throttle actuator rod is not hitting anything and rotates with no obstructions. I installed new intake clamps and the bolts on the rod would hit the screw heads on the clamps and through the car into limp mode .I rotated the clamps and problem was solved.
I checked this when I installed the new hose clamps. They clear and do not contact anything.
Jump to top Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Apr-06-2018, 01:50:22 AM   #10
FrankJones
Pyro Tech

United States

Make sure your new TPS are genuine BMW parts. Don’t do anything aftermarket when it comes to electronics. That was my issue.

04' Carbon Black,TC Kline DA, ZCP Rack, Autosolutions 40% SSK,
Evolve CSL Air Box, Rogue Pulleys, Evolve Carbon Roof, CSL Base tune,
SS V1 Header, SS sec 1, Scorza Muffler, 3.91 R&P, JRZ RS Pro,:thumbs:
Jump to top FrankJones is offline   Reply With Quote