BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Apr-04-2018, 10:52:29 PM   #61
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 100 Degree Day - Car overheards 3/4 mark with AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I've battled these problems all last season. Every piece of the cooling system has been replaced. Radiator has been bleed multiple times. People on here have told me I need to get a vacuum filler to ensure no air is left in the radiator (CSF). Was going to do that before the first event of the season. If that doesn't fix the issue, I'm going to throw the towel in and just do a head gasket. Literally don't know what else to do at this point.
Have you gotten a compression, leakdown, and/or coolant pressure test yet? Much cheaper than a head gasket.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Jump to top malacai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 01:10:05 AM   #62
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacai17 View Post
Have you gotten a compression, leakdown, and/or coolant pressure test yet? Much cheaper than a head gasket.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Not yet. Was planning on doing a compression test and leakdown test. Just need to order the tools. Been waiting for the snowy weather to go away.
2014 VW GLI 6MT - Black/Black

E46 M3 Build Journal
Jump to top silvergray545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 04:49:07 AM   #63
SL Blak Soldier
Doooorrrifttt

United States

Quote:
Not yet. Was planning on doing a compression test and leakdown test. Just need to order the tools. Been waiting for the snowy weather to go away.
I believe there is also some sort of tool that connects to the radiator/expansion tank and can let you know if there is a headgasket leak.

Search combustion leak tester.
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 06:02:43 AM   #64
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
I believe there is also some sort of tool that connects to the radiator/expansion tank and can let you know if there is a headgasket leak.

Search combustion leak tester.
I think I found it.

For $37, I'll pick it up and try it. My only concern is, my car runs dead center on the temp gauge for normal driving. Doesn't even move during some spirited pulls on the street. But when I'm on track driving full tilt, that's when my temp gauge starts to creep up. Is it possible my head gasket could be fine during normal driving but start to show signs while under constant load? Either way, I think this tool might be worth a shot.

E46 M3 Build Journal
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 03:11:40 PM   #65
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
[...] My only concern is, my car runs dead center on the temp gauge for normal driving. Doesn't even move during some spirited pulls on the street. But when I'm on track driving full tilt, that's when my temp gauge starts to creep up. [...]
That is precisely what mine does as well. I was leaning towards head gasket/rebuild too, until I found that the water pump was dribbling, even though it was replaced by the PO less than 2 years ago.

Is your water pump a BMW pump? Have you thoroughly checked around and under it? I have a few dried coolant spots scattered about the engine bay, which kept me coming back to a coolant leak somewhere.

Do you have a hissing sound when you loosen the coolant expansion tank cap as the car is cooling down? Not while it's hot, of course, but after ~30 mins with the hood open my cap is safe to slowly open. When I loosen mine I get hissing, and therefore there's air in the cooling system, which means a leak somewhere.
Old Thu, Apr-05-2018, 05:25:06 PM   #66
silvergray545

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacai17 View Post
That is precisely what mine does as well. I was leaning towards head gasket/rebuild too, until I found that the water pump was dribbling, even though it was replaced by the PO less than 2 years ago.

Is your water pump a BMW pump? Have you thoroughly checked around and under it? I have a few dried coolant spots scattered about the engine bay, which kept me coming back to a coolant leak somewhere.

Do you have a hissing sound when you loosen the coolant expansion tank cap as the car is cooling down? Not while it's hot, of course, but after ~30 mins with the hood open my cap is safe to slowly open. When I loosen mine I get hissing, and therefore there's air in the cooling system, which means a leak somewhere.
I replaced my original water pump with a brand new BMW water pump not even 1k miles ago. I don't recall seeing any coolant leaks last time I checked. I can always double check though.

I have not noticed a hissing sound when opening the expansion tank. In all honesty, I have not opened it and tried to listen for the sound either. I think I might start with that combustion leak tester from Amazon first and go from there.

E46 M3 Build Journal
Old Mon, Apr-09-2018, 01:40:50 PM   #67
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

While replacing my water pump, I discovered this awesomeness. File this under #LeakingWaterPumpArt:

IMG_20180407_231257.jpg

Higher resolution version:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mKW3twgb341dNyyC2
Old Fri, Apr-13-2018, 09:19:20 PM   #68
playskool1
NorCal's S54 VANOS/Valve Adjust./Rod Bearing spc.

In the garage:

Philippines

I highly recommend running the Active Autowerk’s sport fan clutch. I run it during the hot seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Full Beisan VANOS overhaul, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, WPC rod bearings = bulletproof
fully built S54 w/ Precision 6870 coming soon!
Jump to top playskool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 01:12:18 PM   #69
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

FIXED! (for me)

While replacing the aftermarket water pump with a Genuine BMW pump, I discovered dried coolant under the metal overhang of the lower radiator hose outlet:

thermostat_housing.jpg

On further investigation, there turned out to be a very tiny crack in the aluminum. My theory is that the coolant coming from the radiator had to get hot enough (pressure) before it would force itself out the micro crack, thus introducing air to the system and causing the rising coolant temps to spike into the red.

I ordered a new one, put everything back together, and then ran a 2-day HPDE this weekend. Until the ambient temps hit 70+, the coolant temperature was top-dead-center, and my engine bay is completely free of coolant stains.

I'll start a separate thread in the Track section to ask about keeping temps down when pushing the motor harder in higher temperatures. Thanks everyone!
Old Tue, Apr-17-2018, 04:58:04 AM   #70
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Boom! Slight leak means air means overheating.

Nice work.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote