BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Sep-07-2017, 02:23:24 PM   #41
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Default Re: 100 Degree Day - Car overheards 3/4 mark with AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacai17 View Post
I found a receipt from the PO. The radiator is OEM, purchased from Fields BMW Northfield ~2 years and less than 20k miles ago.
That's "OE", as in Genuine BMW. Good.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-10-2017, 10:03:44 PM   #42
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

We had an HPDE with the Rocky Mountain BMWCCA this weekend. Although I'm a terrible driver and no where near approached the limits of the car, I'm ready and willing to learn.

Anyway, in regards to the cooling system: the morning run was fine at ~65 degrees ambient temp.
However, the next run at ~80 degrees ambient temp I had to crank the heat to it's highest settings (91 degrees, dial to red, and vents full blast) to keep the coolant temp at or below the 2nd dot (~2 o'clock), otherwise it would creep up close to the red bar.
The 2 runs later in the day were 95+ degrees ambient temp, and I couldn't wring out 3rd gear to 7k rpms more than 2-3 times before the coolant temp crept up to and into the red bar. Upshifting and generally laying off a little bit kept the coolant temp at/near the 2nd dot (~2 o'clock).
The highest I ever saw the oil temp get all day was maybe 1 o'clock.

So, I think my oil temperature is back under control with the oil cooler replacement. I'm going to check the oil and filter for sludge (Inspection 2 is in ~800 miles), and I'm debating dropping the oil pan too to see what's in it as well.

For the coolant temperature, I think it'd be best for me to replace the radiator (and thermostat to be safe). Looking at things more closely, I see far more coolant around the plastic below the upper radiator neck (not the connection itself, but ~1" below the upper radiator hose connection) than before this HPDE, leading me to believe there could be a hairline crack in the plastic that leaks at higher temps/pressure. Plus, who knows what the PO ran for coolant; it could very well be clogged or have buildup in the bottom of it already. :-/

I know there's 1,001 differing opinions on radiators and puller fans, but not as much in the way of actual hard data. I'm a big fan of FCPEuro and their service, so I'll probably buy a Mishimoto radiator + Mishimoto electric fan from them.
Jump to top malacai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 01:02:08 AM   #43
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
However, the next run at ~80 degrees ambient temp I had to crank the heat to it's highest settings (91 degrees, dial to red, and vents full blast) to keep the coolant temp at or below the 2nd dot (~2 o'clock), otherwise it would creep up close to the red bar.

The 2 runs later in the day were 95+ degrees ambient temp, and I couldn't wring out 3rd gear to 7k rpms more than 2-3 times before the coolant temp crept up to and into the red bar. Upshifting and generally laying off a little bit kept the coolant temp at/near the 2nd dot (~2 o'clock).
The highest I ever saw the oil temp get all day was maybe 1 o'clock.

For the coolant temperature, I think it'd be best for me to replace the radiator (and thermostat to be safe). Looking at things more closely, I see far more coolant around the plastic below the upper radiator neck (not the connection itself, but ~1" below the upper radiator hose connection) than before this HPDE, leading me to believe there could be a hairline crack in the plastic that leaks at higher temps/pressure. Plus, who knows what the PO ran for coolant; it could very well be clogged or have buildup in the bottom of it already.

I know there's 1,001 differing opinions on radiators and puller fans, but not as much in the way of actual hard data. I'm a big fan of FCPEuro and their service, so I'll probably buy a Mishimoto radiator + Mishimoto electric fan from them.
Ya something is definitely not right, 80 degrees and you had to crank the heater! Honestly I wouldn't get the Mishimoto fan as it's only 1950 CFM's, I would go with a Spal 2049 Fan and N15 Design E46 M3 Electric Fan Mount

I'm running a Mishimoto Elec Fan inside the stock fan shroud with the Aux Fan and I can push it hard in weather up to 105 degrees and the coolant temps only get to 210.
Last year running the Mech Fan I had NO issues even in 120 degree heat, with the Mishimoto Elec Fan anything over 105 the temps would start creeping over 210 and I would have to turn the AC off and crank the heater. I think I end up going with the Spal 2049 as well.

UltraGauge - BAVSOUND Stage 1 - Valentine One - Orion V4's - SBV2
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 12k/16k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-11-2017, 07:34:16 PM   #44
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Yes, something is not right. Please fix what is broken before modifying.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG
Jump to top EricSMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Sep-12-2017, 04:11:04 AM   #45
black bnr32

Canada

take it back to the guy that replaced the oil cooler

"wtf man?!?!?"
Jump to top black bnr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-14-2017, 07:11:29 PM   #46
dave92

United States

Having same issue still with my car and its driving me absolutely insane! On any day over 85-90 degrees my car creeps to the 3/4 mark going up any incline or with any spirited driving with the AC on. Every single component that has anything to do with cooling has been replaced and the system is bled properly. All parts are OEM. Im at a complete loss as I feel my car should be dead center up to 100 degrees or even above. Overheating only happens when moving and the second I stop it creeps back to center.... I dont really know where to go from here...
Jump to top dave92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-15-2017, 03:31:11 AM   #47
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92 View Post
Having same issue still with my car and its driving me absolutely insane! On any day over 85-90 degrees my car creeps to the 3/4 mark going up any incline or with any spirited driving with the AC on. Every single component that has anything to do with cooling has been replaced and the system is bled properly. All parts are OEM. Im at a complete loss as I feel my car should be dead center up to 100 degrees or even above. Overheating only happens when moving and the second I stop it creeps back to center.... I dont really know where to go from here...
I feel ya dave92! Is your oil temp staying 12 o'clock, or creeping up when the coolant temp does? Any signs of coolant leaks near the water pump or radiator? As something free and easy to try, take HassanEido's advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
If everything checks out, blow compressed air thru ur rad fins, from to back and vise versa. A ton of dirt and sand will puff out, and it will not go past the middle again. [...]
My suspicion for mine is radiator and/or thermostat. I'm going to replace both soon-ish (need a free weekend, ugh) but I imagine by then the hot weather will be done with here in CO so I won't get a chance to see for sure until next year. I need to replace my radiator anyway since I'm seeing a small amount of coolant leaking, and any air that gets in will drastically (negatively) affecting the cooling ability of the system.
Old Fri, Sep-15-2017, 03:26:39 PM   #48
trumpsterfire

In the garage:

United States

Question, how dirty is your oil cooler/AC condenser/radiator? Living in Florida could get jammed up with with bugs pretty quickly. I would try soaking it in degreaser and scrubbing with a brush in the areas you can reach. Then spray it down and see if that helps.

Got the idea from recently watching this

Another Florida Man
Jump to top trumpsterfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Sep-15-2017, 05:04:43 PM   #49
dave92

United States

Quote:
I feel ya dave92! Is your oil temp staying 12 o'clock, or creeping up when the coolant temp does? Any signs of coolant leaks near the water pump or radiator? As something free and easy to try, take HassanEido's advice:

My suspicion for mine is radiator and/or thermostat. I'm going to replace both soon-ish (need a free weekend, ugh) but I imagine by then the hot weather will be done with here in CO so I won't get a chance to see for sure until next year. I need to replace my radiator anyway since I'm seeing a small amount of coolant leaking, and any air that gets in will drastically (negatively) affecting the cooling ability of the system.
Surprisingly my oil temp seems to always stay where it should. The only time I see it much past half way is going uphill with aggressive driving. As far as cleaning my radiator goes... its not necessary given I have about 2000 miles on it. Every single component of the cooling system is brand new. I did a complete overhaul to beat this issue and it changed nothing.
Jump to top dave92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Sep-16-2017, 12:27:22 AM   #50
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92 View Post
Surprisingly my oil temp seems to always stay where it should. The only time I see it much past half way is going uphill with aggressive driving. As far as cleaning my radiator goes... its not necessary given I have about 2000 miles on it. Every single component of the cooling system is brand new. I did a complete overhaul to beat this issue and it changed nothing.
Was it overheating before, or just "time to overhaul"?