BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 05:06:10 PM   #11
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: 100 Degree Day - Car overheards 3/4 mark with AC on.

100*F is my coolant systems tipping point. And everything's new/upgraded.

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 05:34:30 PM   #12
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

I'm having nearly the same issue as the OP:

* my temp will actually go all the way up into the red if I don't shut off the AC
* I have replaced the fan clutch within the last 30 days
* the radiator, water pump, thermostat, temp sensor, and hoses were replaced by the PO ~2 years/30k miles ago
* there are a few white splatters below the upper radiator hose connection to the radiator
- I suspect either a hairline crack in the radiator's plastic tank, or that the coolant is boiling and leaking out
* a coolant drain and fill (not a power flush) has also been done within the last 30 days

Note: Without running the AC, I haven't been able to get the needle to move above the middle during DD or AutoX (haven't been to the track yet though).

I'm thinking about going the route of the Mishimoto radiator + Mishimoto electric fan (w/ probe), and I'll replace the thermostat at the same time too. I've read all about the previous Mishimoto radiator's problems, and have also read about folks using the redesigned unit with good success. Any other suggestions (other than the obvious $$$Zionsville)?

Thanks!
Jump to top malacai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 05:35:44 PM   #13
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

If everything checks out, blow compressed air thru ur rad fins, from to back and vise versa. A ton of dirt and sand will puff out, and it will not go past the middle again. That said, in your case, it's possibly a bad clutch fan to begin with
Modified stock airbox,afe plastic intake elbow Afe prodry drop in, electric fan conversion,SSV2 catless headers, custom 2.5" dual sec1, custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3,tms pulleys,Cat Cams 280 272, custom dyno tune, csl box to be installed sooooonn

357.7 whp 283.5 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439

Custom cf airbox thread:
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Jump to top HassanEido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 05:45:36 PM   #14
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacai17 View Post
I'm having nearly the same issue as the OP:
I'm thinking about going the route of the Mishimoto radiator + Mishimoto electric fan (w/ probe).
If you are having over heating issues now this will not fix the problem, unless your stock radiator is bad. The stock mechanical fan moves way more air than the Mishimoto fan does. Is your Aux fan working?

UltraGauge - BAVSOUND Stage 1 - Valentine One - Orion V4's - SBV2
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 12k/16k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 06:15:47 PM   #15
malacai17

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
If you are having over heating issues now this will not fix the problem, unless your stock radiator is bad. The stock mechanical fan moves way more air than the Mishimoto fan does. Is your Aux fan working?
I believe it is working, yes; I see it spin when the AC is on and it feels like it's moving air well. Is there a test like the one for the fan clutch? Since it's an electric fan I wasn't sure.

The coolant temperature increases when driving at higher speeds, and decreases when moving slowly or stopped. That points towards radiator, right?
Jump to top malacai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 07:40:37 PM   #16
akagc

United States

Never experienced this. I'm in FL with 90-95 degrees in avg summer temps + high humidity. Never seen the temp gauge go past the half way point in 3 years of ownership. You might have an underlying cooling or A/C issue. Get it checked by a pro just to be sure.
Jump to top akagc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 09:32:30 PM   #17
WOLFN8TR
"MONEY"

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by malacai17 View Post
I believe it is working, yes; I see it spin when the AC is on and it feels like it's moving air well. Is there a test like the one for the fan clutch? Since it's an electric fan I wasn't sure.

The coolant temperature increases when driving at higher speeds, and decreases when moving slowly or stopped. That points towards radiator, right?
The Aux fan is pretty loud when running full speed at idle when the temps call for it. It does sound like a radiator issue. Have you tried bleeding the system lately?

UltraGauge - BAVSOUND Stage 1 - Valentine One - Orion V4's - SBV2
TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - Turner Spacers 15/12 - BWS 500S 12k/16k
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Aug-15-2017, 09:51:12 PM   #18
lmtfi

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDeXPS View Post
100*F is my coolant systems tipping point. And everything's new/upgraded.

Thats not right. I have run track days at exactly 99 and 100F with heat soaks far more than one can see on the street - with zero temp climb above middle range.

You should find the cause of your temp climb.
Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 01:21:38 AM   #19
EricSMG
40 something

United States

Overheating is not normal - the needle should literally never move or something is wrong, excluding extreme circumstances. 10 years, 5 of these cars, never had the need,e move above straight up. Needle should never, ever climb past middle.

Regarding the AUX fan - there is no test required, only listen. When it's on its LOUD, even at less than full tilt. Pull into your garage with the windows down with AC on and shut off motor - if you don't hear a very distinct fan noise your fan ain't workin. Hell just stand next to the car with motor and AC on......mega fan noise should be obvious.

Oil temp will climb, normal.

'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Wed, Aug-16-2017 at 01:29:16 AM.
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Aug-16-2017, 04:17:57 AM   #20
///M3 NA

In the garage:

United States

I had this issue in the beginning of the summer and responded to another thread. The issue is likely your fan clutch !!!

Start up your car, get a magazine, open your hood, try to stop the fan with the magazine. It will either stop or shredd it. If the fan stops, your clutch is toast.

After replacing my fan clutch with a Sachs brand(don't get Behr), my coolant temp is dead in the middle with 110 degrees. Prior to the new clutch above 95 with AC on, the temp would creep up.

99% certain its your clutch.

--------------------------
Evolve
Evolve Eventuri
AutoSolutions SSK 30%
RE Transmission Mounts
CDV Delete
Intravee II
Jump to top ///M3 NA is offline   Reply With Quote