BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 02:46:01 PM   #1
LALaw
Brah

In the garage:

Canada

Default Southwest Passengers: "Goodbye Forever"

Southwest Airlines Passengers Thought Death Was Near as Plane Attempted Landing in Storm

Passengers on board a Southwest Airlines plane screamed, cried, vomited, and texted during an attempted landing in a storm in New Orleans.

The harrowing incident on Southwest Airlines Flight 3461 on Saturday also prompted one passenger to send goodbye sexts to loved ones as the pilot attempted to land the plane, which had set off from Fort Lauderdale. “I thought we were going to crash,” WWLTV reporter Lauren Bale, who was a passenger on board the flight, said.

“I was going all over the place. People were screaming, people were crying. The flight attendants were yelling over the speakers to fasten seat belts as tightly as possible and I was texting my boyfriend goodbye,” she added in comments carried by UK newspaper The Daily Mail. “I just don't understand why [Southwest Airlines] put everyone in that situation. Why did we have to fly at all?”

Another passenger, Marie Wary, told WWLTV she felt like she was about to die as the plane attempted to land, while at least one passenger vomited during the incident. After attempting to land at Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, the plane was redirected to Panama City, in Florida, where it refueled and later continued on with its journey – eventually landing safely.

But given the storm, there were questions over why the flight was not cancelled before taking off, rather than trying to fly through the bad weather, with KGW reporting passengers saying there was little to no visibility with thunder and lighting during the attempted landing.

In a statement, Southwest Airlines said: “Our top focus is Safety. Flight 3461 from Fort Lauderdale to New Orleans arrived about fourteen hours behind schedule after persistent thunderstorms over New Orleans forced prolonged holding near New Orleans awaiting clearance from air traffic controllers followed by a refueling stop in Panama City before the completion of the journey.”

“We have no further comment,” the statement added.
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 02:46:30 PM   #2
LALaw
Brah

In the garage:

Canada

Default Re: Southwest Passengers: "Goodbye Forever"

I want to know how these people are getting a text signal at 35,000 feet. I never can
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 02:49:32 PM   #3
zeuiax

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALaw View Post
I want to know how these people are getting a text signal at 35,000 feet. I never can
cuz joo are brown
Jump to top zeuiax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 03:05:45 PM   #4
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Unrelated, but this was a landing during a storm....
Warning, this may be disturbing to some viewers because this is the actual CVR recording and everyone died:

Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 03:06:40 PM   #5
Speed Monkey
Bananas, Just Bananas

United States

I'm wondering if South-worst is competing with Allegiant Air in the attempt to give their passengers a flying experience like no other... You know when employees of the FAA say that they would never fly on Allegiant - yikes!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/allegia...der-the-radar/
Jump to top Speed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 04:33:43 PM   #6
EKaru

Reputation: 766 EKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru PorshaEKaru Porsha

United States

Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 07:04:05 PM   #7
maditalian
M3F tag's popularity king

Italy

Quote:
Southwest Airlines Passengers Thought Death Was Near as Plane Attempted Landing in Storm

Passengers on board a Southwest Airlines plane screamed, cried, vomited, and texted during an attempted landing in a storm in New Orleans.

The harrowing incident on Southwest Airlines Flight 3461 on Saturday also prompted one passenger to send goodbye sexts to loved ones as the pilot attempted to land the plane, which had set off from Fort Lauderdale. “I thought we were going to crash,” WWLTV reporter Lauren Bale, who was a passenger on board the flight, said.

Another passenger, Marie Wary, told WWLTV she felt like she was about to die as the plane attempted to land, while at least one passenger vomited during the incident. After attempting to land at Armstrong International Airport in New Orleans, the plane was redirected to Panama City, in Florida, where it refueled and later continued on with its journey – eventually landing safely.

But given the storm, there were questions over why the flight was not cancelled before taking off, rather than trying to fly through the bad weather, with KGW reporting passengers saying there was little to no visibility with thunder and lighting during the attempted landing.
Quote:
Cos they all had magic phones . . . or maybe cos clearly they were not at FL35 since they were attempting to land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NP0TqhVHE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maditalian
Charity: It's a two way street
Jump to top maditalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 07:31:35 PM   #8
maditalian
M3F tag's popularity king

Italy

For what is worth:

Planes don't fly into storms, we can see them and ATC can see them. Airliners have built in radar, we have nexrad or ADSB map overlay depictions. I dont know why that article keeps saying that they were flying through/into a storm. It doesnt happen.
Turbulence and winshear however are harder to forecast and are both invisible.

Planes do not "attempt to land" through (or in) a storm either. No approach or tower controller will ever clear you for an approach procedure nor a landing while a storm is over the field.
They would place you over a published hold and have you fly an oval pattern till conditions improve and they can accept arrivals. If you get low on fuel, or if you dont want to be on a hold, you can choose to be redirected to your alternate airport.

Being placed on a hold is NOT "attempting to land", so idk why they keep saying that on the article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NP0TqhVHE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maditalian
Charity: It's a two way street
Jump to top maditalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 07:53:30 PM   #9
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

id have landed that ***** no prob

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 08:25:28 PM   #10
hogger453

In the garage:

Bulgaria

Quote:
Staring at your crotch anything is possible.

Two possibilities exist:

Either we are alone in the universe or we are not.
Both are equally terrifying.

Arthur C. Clarke
Jump to top hogger453 is online now   Reply With Quote