BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Sat, Apr-14-2018, 03:06:34 PM   #31
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Throttle position problems, codes P0121 and P1637, new throttle actuator + sensor

Update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW M3 ZCP TiAg | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | Eibach Pro-kit on OEM Struts and shocks w/ Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | CSL rep Bumper | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Jump to top CSLM3Wannabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-15-2018, 02:20:12 PM   #32
lilbimmerboy

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Throttle position problems, codes P0121 and P1637, new throttle actuator + sensor

not trying to be a dick but have you recently taken off the intake manifold
Jump to top lilbimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-15-2018, 06:31:45 PM   #33
HassanEido

In the garage:

Lebanon

Sometimes the ecu connectors are dirty. I had a similar issue. Changed all sensors to no avail. Unplugged all connectors from the dme. Sprayed electrical cleaner on them and on the sme pins. Compressed air and waited for them to dry off. Reconnected. No issues since. That was a year ago.

Mods:
-Custom CF airbox
-SSV2 catless headers, Custom 2.5" dual sec1, Custom sec2 2.5" dual with e9xM X pipe, SuperSprint Race inspired custom section 3..
-Cat Cams 280 272.
-Custom dyno tune
-Tms pulleys and electric fan conversion
364.1 whp 287.8 wtq

Custom exhaust thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=569086
Cams thread and dyno http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=554439
Custom cf airbox thread http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=595180
Why not to use after market bearings with surfacetreatments and /or increased clearance
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=10
Jump to top HassanEido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 01:22:49 AM   #34
Syfon

Australia

[quote=CSLM3Wannabi;1067809427]Update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSLM3Wannabi View Post
Update?

Only had a few hours Saturday to do some work; removed the intake manifold and tested a new crank speed position sensor, cleaned the ICV and all throttle bodies.

Checked for spark - it has spark.

I'm sending the car to a shop tomorrow or Wednesday - see what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbimmerboy View Post
not trying to be a dick but have you recently taken off the intake manifold
Yes, I removed it to replace the bottom TSP and clean the ICV & throttle bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HassanEido View Post
Sometimes the ecu connectors are dirty. I had a similar issue. Changed all sensors to no avail. Unplugged all connectors from the dme. Sprayed electrical cleaner on them and on the sme pins. Compressed air and waited for them to dry off. Reconnected. No issues since. That was a year ago.
Thanks for your input, I'll check these tonight.
Jump to top Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 02:41:27 AM   #35
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

[quote=Syfon;1067809794]
Quote:
Update?

Only had a few hours Saturday to do some work; removed the intake manifold and tested a new crank speed position sensor, cleaned the ICV and all throttle bodies.

Checked for spark - it has spark.

If it has spark, it wouldn't be a crank position sensor issue.
You still cannot get it to start, correct?
You need to check fuel pressure. You may even have a clogged fuel filter.

2005 BMW M3 ZCP TiAg | ESS VT2-550 | Dinan Throttle Bodies | 6MT Swap | Active Autowerkes Headers + Section 1 w/ 100 cells | Miltek Section 2 and 3 | Eibach Pro-kit on OEM Struts and shocks w/ Eibach Front and Rear Swaybars | Porsche 996 BBK upgrade w/ OEM ZCP rotors | Umnitza V4 Angel Eyes | CSL rep Bumper | SCZA Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk | Carbon Fiber CSL Diffuser | Square ZCP Wheels |
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 03:47:05 AM   #36
Syfon

Australia

Quote:

If it has spark, it wouldn't be a crank position sensor issue.
You still cannot get it to start, correct?
You need to check fuel pressure. You may even have a clogged fuel filter.

Correct, I still can't get it started.

Tonight, if I have time after work etc, I'll replace the fuel filter and check for fuel pressure. Hopefully it is as simple as this.

Will report back tomorrow.
Old Mon, Apr-16-2018, 06:00:02 AM   #37
mrgizmo04

In the garage:

United States

It's always as "simple" as correct amount of air/fuel and a spark...so def check fuel delivery and operation of pump/regulator/injectors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All DIY: 330 ZHP steering rack, diffsonline 4.1 diff with rem polish, E60 short shifter lever, AKG black diff bushings/subframe bushings, Rogue rtab, WPC rod bearings, Beyer driveshaft, full SS (SS stepped V1, catted S1, resonated S2, SS sport), Sachs clutch/flywheel, rear main, VANOS bullet proofing with anti-rattle, valve adjustment, cooling refresh, Ohlins R&T/Swift 448f 672r/GC street tops and camber plates, AFD E85 Proflex kit.
Jump to top mrgizmo04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Apr-18-2018, 12:15:50 AM   #38
Syfon

Australia

Swapped the fuel filter for a brand new unit last night. The old fuel filter was definitely blocked - couldn't blow through it and bits of the filter element itself came out.

After installing the new fuel filter and intake plenum, started her up and went for a 15min drive. Car drove perfectly, idled perfectly.

Everything was fixed, or so I thought.

Started the car this morning to take it into work, car idled perfectly for a few minutes then began hunting on idle then died. Now it won't start again.

It's worth noting, when I removed the old fuel filter, a few pieces of the actual filter element came out of the filter, however only fuel came out of the fuel line from the pressure regulator forward.

My guess is due to the old filter deteriorating, bits of it have been pushed through the fuel line and maybe some/all injectors are blocked?

Edit: To recap, brand new parts are Walbro 255 fuel pump, oem fuel filter, bottom TPS and battery. Have checked the crank speed position sensor, and cleaned all relevant electrical contacts in the engine bay with electrical contact cleaner. Have also cleaned the MAF.

Last edited by Syfon; Wed, Apr-18-2018 at 12:47:45 AM.
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 12:50:07 AM   #39
Syfon

Australia

Update: Started the car when I arrived home from work yesterday. Idled and drove fine.

Scanned for codes and got the following -
  • DME: Signal, crankshaft sensor
  • Voltage Supply, EWS3 control module
  • KOM Instrument cluster - KOMBI: No CAN indetification (DME)

Regarding the crankshaft sensor, I sourced one (used) through a friend and tested them both with a multi-meter. Both sensor showed the exact same resistance.

Have since cleared all the codes. Drove the car into work this morning without any hiccups.

Can anyone shed some light on the EWS and KOMBI codes listed above?

Cheers
Old Thu, Apr-19-2018, 01:03:47 AM   #40
CSLM3Wannabi

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfon View Post
Update: Started the car when I arrived home from work yesterday. Idled and drove fine.

Scanned for codes and got the following -

• DME: Signal, crankshaft sensor
  • Voltage Supply, EWS3 control module
  • KOM Instrument cluster - KOMBI: No CAN indetification (DME)

Regarding the crankshaft sensor, I sourced one (used) through a friend and tested them both with a multi-meter. Both sensor showed the exact same resistance.

Have since cleared all the codes. Drove the car into work this morning without any hiccups.

Can anyone shed some light on the EWS and KOMBI codes listed above?

Cheers

Just reset and let it go. Looks like low voltage errors.