BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Forced Induction (F/I)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Forced Induction (F/I) Discuss the ever growing F/I options here!

Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 04:02:15 AM   #1
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Default Official Forced Induction Maintenance/Service Thread

I don't see this *important* info posted often so thought I would start a thread to see what everyone is doing to keep thier F/I cars running at top performance. Hopefully everyone is aware that F/I puts a lot more stress on your car's parts that are designed to wear and be replaced. Please post what's on your list of items to check and how often. Here's mine..

Engine Oil/Filter: I believe BMW recommends servicing the oil/filter every 15k miles, even for a n/a car with no mods that seems a little long to me. I may be on the extreme side of caution but my cars gets new oil/filter approx every 2 -3k miles.

Air Filter: Easily overlooked, if you're sucking in a lot more air your filter is going to collect dust and debris a lot faster. Last time I cleaned mine I was a bit overdue. I now clean and oil my filter with each engine oil change.

Transmission Fluid: BMW claims the tranny fluid is good for the life of the car, although they even recommend service @ 100k miles. My car has 50k miles on the clock (most of that was n/a) - I'm planning to change the tranny fluid soon.

Differential: Don't recall what BMW advises - I just changed mine recently. (Wear some kind of gas mask, the diff fluid smells like Sh!t.)

Flex Disk: If you're unfamiliar this is the ultra strong circle of reinforced rubber that connects your transmission to your drive shaft, I replaced mine about 5k miles ago as it was cracked and splitting everywhere. Replace as needed.

Spark Plugs/Coils: I generally replace these as needed. I keep saying I'm going to pony up for the Okada Coils, so far the $1k+ price has deterred me. If you own a HPF car they have recently upgraded to a new high performance plug that is quite expensive, but runs cooler, is pre-gapped, operates more efficiently, lasts longer and puts less stress on your coils.

Tires: uhh.. :shhh:

Brake Pads: :shhh:

Methanol Injection: If your car has this remember to add two teaspoons of "Alcohol Fuel Lubricant" per 1.25 gallons of methanol. See this thread for more info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...fuel+lubricant

Coolant: I live in Texas and it gets HOT during the summer months. In the summer I add a mix of distilled water and 2 bottles of Watter Wetter. In the winter months I go back to the oem BMW coolant.

All I can think of for now. Look forward to hearing other's rec's.
Jump to top RaceMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 04:25:36 AM   #2
leletyM3
640rwhp

Italy

Great tread!!! So far I haven't done anything other than chaing the OIL on the Vortech Blower and this is @ every 7,500mi

08 BMW ///M5 6MT - Sapphire Black/Gray

HPF Stg2 Turbo Kit 640rwhp, HPF Stg2 Feramic Clutch, HPF Carbon Fiber Stg3-4 Intake,HPF Catch Can, HPF Carbon Fiber Air Duct, HPF Methanol Switch, HPF Under Brace, HPF Subframe Kit, Custom AEM UEGO and AEM Boost Gauge in the OEM Mirror, Okada Plasma Coils, Eisenmann Race 83x4, Bilstein PSS9, Volk TE37 Time Attack, Toyo 275/30/19 & 245/35/19, Brembo BBK 380mm 6 pots & 345mm, Hardwired V1, 6K HID bulbs, 6K HID Fog Lights, 6K Umnitza Orion V2, Depo Smoked Corners, Solaris Bulbs, Full LEDs interiors,Umnitza LED licence plate lights, 30% Tint All Around, V-CSL V2Front Bumper with Race Lip, OEM CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser, ///M3 Monochrome, Flat Black Kidneys & Side Grills, Carbon Fiber BMW Emblems, Powerflex RTABs, Dension Ipod ICE>Link Plus, AudioControl unit, Phoenix Gold 600Ti, JL Audio 12W6v2

Jump to top leletyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 06:55:25 AM   #3
playskool1
NorCal's S54 VANOS/Valve Adjust./Rod Bearing spc.

In the garage:

Philippines

i've done all of the above and im on top of my maintenance. i change my oil every 4k miles. air filter every other weekend (being exposed collects a lot of dirt).
Full Beisan VANOS overhaul, TMS Subframe Reinforcement, WPC rod bearings = bulletproof
fully built S54 w/ Precision 6870 coming soon!
Jump to top playskool1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 01:47:13 PM   #4
babydevilj
Sperm Dispenser

United States

those with S/c's what oil do YOU use and where do you find the replacement filter?
Jump to top babydevilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 03:01:47 PM   #5
M34U2NV
///Member, GmbH

Italy

if you have an alcohol or methanol injection system, you likely have a filter for that as well that rests before or after the pump. on the HPF setup, this filter is post-pump. . .so a clogged or dirty filter could result in a non working methanol system since that pressure is measured as it's injected, and if it doesn't hit a target PSI going to the nozzle, it won't spray.

this filter looks to be reusable and washable, so i would recommend every 2-3 months taking it out and at least inspecting it. . .if dirty, wash and let dry before re-installing. if you use methanol as much as i do, you definitely want to look into this, as well as checking all the lines/seals along the way in the injection path.

really obscure and niche tip right there

HPF stage 2.5 - RAC - AA - Brembo - www.precision-sport.com
Jump to top M34U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 06:26:42 PM   #6
RaceMX-M3
Scott@Radar-Mirror.com

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M34U2NV View Post
if you have an alcohol or methanol injection system, you likely have a filter for that as well that rests before or after the pump. on the HPF setup, this filter is post-pump. . .so a clogged or dirty filter could result in a non working methanol system since that pressure is measured as it's injected, and if it doesn't hit a target PSI going to the nozzle, it won't spray.

this filter looks to be reusable and washable, so i would recommend every 2-3 months taking it out and at least inspecting it. . .if dirty, wash and let dry before re-installing. if you use methanol as much as i do, you definitely want to look into this, as well as checking all the lines/seals along the way in the injection path.

really obscure and niche tip right there
Good advice on the meth filter. I also stick a coffee filter in the funnel when I pour methanol into the tank to hopefully prevent anything from making it into the tank.
Jump to top RaceMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 06:47:20 PM   #7
palerider

United States

where is our filter???? I only have the accumulator and AEM pressure sensor after the pump....
HPF Stage 2.5 #0002
Jump to top palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Sep-06-2009, 06:48:20 PM   #8
yellowfever

great thread racemx-m3, hopefully all FI vendors will chime in and give more maintenance info for there customers.

VFE=T-Trim 495 whp on 91 oct w/water/meth///
Labonte motorsport water/meth stg3 kit/// Ap headers/// Raceflow cats///EISENMANN SEC 2///
autosolution ssk/// KW V3 /// iForge///Vorsteiner vented gtr hood///
Vorsteiner bumper single lip/// GC Sways F/R
Jump to top yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-07-2009, 02:34:34 AM   #9
M34U2NV
///Member, GmbH

Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
where is our filter???? I only have the accumulator and AEM pressure sensor after the pump....

the circular piece the red arrow is pointing at is it. just unscrew it, inspect/clean, replace. make sure it's tight upon replacing, or the system will leak from there.

HPF stage 2.5 - RAC - AA - Brembo - www.precision-sport.com
Jump to top M34U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-07-2009, 03:43:21 AM   #10
MSpired
Banned

United States

Great thread!

I suggest changing the OEM fuel filter every 15-30k. This really depends on your power levels, as the more power you make, the more fuel is flowing through that filter for each mile driven.
Jump to top MSpired is offline   Reply With Quote