BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006) > Coding and Tuning
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Coding and Tuning Discuss all avenues of coding and tuning here!

Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 04:24:42 AM   #951
eegstwozero

United States

Default Re: MSS52 / MSS54 / MSS54HP Binary Modification Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrndr View Post
You complain (repeatedly) that you canít tick the box.
Lets make it clear that I never complained.

Quote:
But this kind of crap becomes like repeatedly trying to teach algebra to a gerbil so Iíll just leave off now...
Thank you - glad you got your two cents in.

Martyn ended up corresponding with me via email and figured something out. Thanks again Martyn.
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 05:16:34 AM   #952
nextelbuddy1

United States

Quote:
A million possible reasons.

Different program versions (not calibration version) will have different characteristics and maybe frank doesnít touch those values for those versions.

Frank also, unlike many, truly does a custom tune if you opt for that level (did you go there or send them logs or just flash a TTFS base tune?) he may tweak some things sometimes and sometimes not.

Bottom line Martyn is going above and beyond to do it the right way. A shittier programmer might just let you tick the box and irrevocably overwrite your custom tune, and leave it at that. His scheme is the proper way to do it and is admirable as he has to track the stock values for any/all calibrations and confirm if they have or have not been twiddled.

I think the problem is just more a user experience deal.

someone pays for a license for software to perform specific functions. they attempt to perform said functions but are not able to because the UI will not allow it. there is no help documentation for it or any notes to let the user know what the reason a specific option is disabled in the UI when they believe or think it should.

I too have finally found out through trial and error that if you load a TUNE file that has been modified by someone else.. ie.. AA, TTFS, DINAN etc... options that were already touched in a different way ie.. SAP disable, Rear O2 removal, EWS removal etc.. those options will be disabled because the previous person has already modified those areas of the hex using a different method and it does not match what the Binary tool believes it should be based on its programming.

while I agree with disabling it so you dont effectively step on "toes" of the tune... there should still be some help text, over hints etc... for scenarios like that otherwise yo have people paying money, not knowing what to do, seeking help on the forum and then being berated because they dont necessarily understand the why or how.

Glad the guy and Martyn figured something out for his specific scenario.

it does make sense that the burble option would be disabled since burble tune is an affect of altering ignition and timing tables and if someone else has already modified those tables to be different than stock/default.. then you would not want to change any of those values of the modified tune potentially causing engine failure since you are altering ignition and timing.
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 08:20:10 AM   #953
MartynT

In the garage:

United Kingdom

People are able to see what options are available 'prior' to purchase, nothing else apart from the Evolve tune is unlocked available after a purchase.
Jump to top MartynT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 11:53:31 AM   #954
rjskalet

United States

FYI to those that are wanting to understand or want to know how to override tune things. Here is your solution if you choose to do it and I say this because I did it myself. Download the stock tune bin from the site. Go into Martynís program and make a single change. Save file and compare bins and then boom you know the offset. I changed all my ttfs changes to Martynís program so I could just use the program to override it. Itís a time consuming work around but if you are that pressed over it thatís the easiest way to do it. Martynís program needs to keep the fail safe otherwise people would be complaining about Martyn overwriting their tune and then hold him liable for the retune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top rjskalet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 12:35:54 PM   #955
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Martynís program needs to keep the fail safe otherwise people would be complaining about Martyn overwriting their tune and then hold him liable for the retune.
Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy1 View Post
while I agree with disabling it so you dont effectively step on "toes" of the tune... there should still be some help text, over hints etc... for scenarios like that otherwise yo have people paying money, not knowing what to do, seeking help on the forum and then being berated because they dont necessarily understand the why or how.

Glad the guy and Martyn figured something out for his specific scenario.

it does make sense that the burble option would be disabled since burble tune is an affect of altering ignition and timing tables and if someone else has already modified those tables to be different than stock/default.. then you would not want to change any of those values of the modified tune potentially causing engine failure since you are altering ignition and timing.
^^^^^ Totally agreed with all this... (both the safety issue and the help/doc suggestion).

If that was all spelled out for people that would have shortcut this whole discussion... maybe M can even put in a direct link for emailing him for "custom assistance" and voila then ECUWorx can make a few extra bux doing the custom tweaking for people who need it.
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 12:39:11 PM   #956
geargrndr
Working for Nefarious Porpoises

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Download the stock tune bin from the site. Go into Martynís program and make a single change. Save file and compare bins and then boom you know the offset.
Yeah I think the fundamental issue there is, if you're down with hex editing and offsets etc. etc. then you're prob easily capable of grabbing the XDF for your file and reading the "poops for boboz" threads and seeing what needs to be done and making the changes yourself. Most people using M's tool are in there to avoid that... but indeed that's one way around it. (well actually 2 ways...)

But again I agree - some tool-tip doc on "why is this gray" could be helpful.
1999 Cherokee Sport 4L (trailer-hitched in-law loaner bomber)

Recently Former...
1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

Jump to top geargrndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Mar-26-2019, 12:51:54 PM   #957
rjskalet

United States

Quote:
Yeah I think the fundamental issue there is, if you're down with hex editing and offsets etc. etc. then you're prob easily capable of grabbing the XDF for your file and reading the "poops for boboz" threads and seeing what needs to be done and making the changes yourself. Most people using M's tool are in there to avoid that... but indeed that's one way around it. (well actually 2 ways...)

But again I agree - some tool-tip doc on "why is this gray" could be helpful.

Yeah I definitely agree with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top rjskalet is online now   Reply With Quote