BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > Member Journals
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Member Journals Do you have a long term project you would like to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old Mon, Nov-21-2016, 08:23:53 PM   #1
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Tyler's "Better late than never" 2004 SG 6MT Slicktop Journal

Ya, I should have started this 7 years ago, but I guess I didn't think it was worth it since I didn't mod the car much at all for the first 4 years, but I've been doing a lot in the last few years so here it goes!

Back story: Grew up racing motorcycles, so was always enamored with racing and motorsports of any kind. My first car was a 1979 Chevy 10 series van "3 on the tree" to take the bikes out in (hand me down), but once I started commuting to college, I wanted a car. I actually wanted a Camaro z28 as my parents had a '82 black 4 spd when I was a kid and that thing was bad ass to me. My mom suggested I look at 3 series BMW (thanks mom!) Anyway, I started lurking Bimmerforums in '03 and started to learn about them. A friend had a 99 328 (e46) and another friend had a beat e30 and after driving them, coupled with my knowledge of motocross, I realized that good handling was better than big power). I decided I wanted an OBD 1 325i. Found one for $8k, a '94 5 spd M50 and thus began the love for NA straight 6 BMWs.

Modded the hell out of that thing, Billys/Eibachs, RD sways/bushings/strut bars, S50 cams, Turner chip, Carbonio CF intake, complete overhaul of all maintenance, etc. What a fun car!

Fast forward to 2009. I had a real job, had way more income, and around that time, THE car was the E46 M3. A couple of older (late 20s ) guys around town had them - I remember this one Imola I had to have one.

The search began; a 6spd duh, slicktop if possible, '03.5 would be nice, no nav or other creature comforts if possible. After only a couple of months looking, I got lucky and found this 2004 Silvergrey 6MT slicktop, optionless M3 at a dealer down the street. Only downside was the mileage (80k), but I didn't care, I got my E36 up to 300k before parting it and I knew I was going to be maintaining it well anyway. Holy balls that first test drive lol! Thought I was going to kill myself Got it for about $20k on black Friday '09. Luckily the car was up to date on maintenance and didn't need anything, but I didn't know about Vanos and subframe issues too well at that time. I got lucky and no vanos issues at all and the cracks weren't too bad when I found them.

Brought it home, and first mod was matte black grilles and gills:

I'm not going to bore you all with everything I did between then and now, maybe just touch on the major overhaul I did in Spring of '14, but I'll quickly list what I did and when below:

End of 2009
Black grilles, smoked lights, poly FCABs & RTABs, ZHP knob, painted reflectors, fuel filter, oil change. Just simple stuff, The car was more than enough for me at that time really.

2010-2013
Mostly just maintenance, a RD Sport muffler, Silicone intake elbow, BMC filter, H&R Springs, Konis, spacers, D/A pullies, new altenator, adjusted the valves - nothing too exciting really.

I had done well in the housing market by buying in 2012 when the market was at its lowest. I was sitting on a lot of equity. I was toying with the idea of selling the car and getting a 550i or a new M3 or something else, but every time I did, I realized that there was literally no better car for me unless I wanted to spend $50k+. I could have I guess, but I didn't want to, not after having fallen in love and wanting to travel and get another house.

I decided to keep the car, 140k miles notwithstanding, and spend some real money and address the Vanos, subframe & rod bearings all at once. I had to do some mods too of course! I was going to be out of town a week, so I took it to Racewerkz and had the following done:

WPC treated bearings
Besian goodies
Turner plates welded in
New OE ball joints
AKG sub, diff & Rtabs
Euro headers & sect 1
Valve adjust
OE motormounts, steering coupler, giubo, CSB - Basically a ton of stuff

I then did the entire cooling sys (including pully sys), front suspension (control arms, fcabs, mounts, etc.) New Konis, Eibachs, Alufelgen 19s, new PSSs. All new brakes (just OE) and complete parking break refresh.

Got Evolve software right after too so at this point, even with the tight bearings and break in, the car was a different animal. I was very happy to have kept the car, to say the least!

Then I got a CSL trunk (rep) and fell in love again!

Forgot, I wanted to list every mod:

Engine
Evolve-R tune
Eventuri CF intake
OE BMW European headers (not csl)
OE BMW European sect 1 cats
Oakville Motorwerks Scorza muffler (sect 3)
Fan/clutch delete
Discovery Auto lightweight, under driven power steering + waterpump pullies
Auto Solutions 30% SSK
Rogue Engineering street transmission bushings
Rogue Engineering ss braided clutch line
Besian drilled oil pump disk + seals
WPC treaded OE rod bearings

Suspension
Ground Control S/A Koni coilovers
Eibach ERS 2.5" 440/550lb springs
Turner Motorsport Street Camber plates
Turner Motorsport Front Swaybar 30mm (medium setting)
Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement plates (welded)
AKG RTAB, Subframe, differential 90a bushings
Michelin PSS 245/40/18 & 275/35/18

Exterior
Sportline 8S 8.5" et32 9.5" et22 OEM Silver (20/21lbs) + 3mm spacers F & R
Platte Forme A.G. CSL rep FRP trunk
Happybuyitnow168 (Ameoba wing ltd) CSL rep diffuser 2x2
Philips Extreme vision H7 bulbs
Chrome (off) amber (lit) corner + side bulbs
Ebay amber/5000k led angel eyes
Blackened kidney grille slats

Interior
Pioneer DEH-80PRS
Eclipse PA5422 4ch
CDT Audio WS-100 1.1"
CDT Audio HD-6 6.7"
CDT Audio EX-530
Kicker 10C84 8" sub (ski pass mount)
Piano Black Trim
Euro tray

Evolve-R eVenturi Euro Headers|Sect 1 OE CSL OM Scorza D/A pullies/fan delete TMS camber/subf plates
RE Besian AKG AutoSolutions 30% TMS front sway GroundControl(Koni/Eibach) Sportline 8S 18" PSS 245/275
Pioneer DEH-80PRS Eclipse PA5422 CDT HD-6 + WS-100i CDT EX-530

Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 Eclipse 32430 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"

Last edited by TboneM3; Tue, Jan-31-2017 at 05:02:04 PM.
Jump to top TboneM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Nov-21-2016, 08:31:50 PM   #2
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Tyler's "Better late than never" 2004 SG 6MT Slicktop Journal

I was busy in 2015 and most of '16 starting a business, buying another house and getting engaged plus wedding planning so it was just maintenance really. I also picked up a 1999 Civic, so not DDing the M3 makes me love it more and want to get more aggressive with the mods.

So I'll start the journal in earnest now (well a few months ago), after getting the mod bug again and scooping up an original Scorza, CSL diffuser (rep) and just now, Ground Control coilovers.

I'll have updates on that stuff soon. Also expecting to get new wheels (18s) soon too. Overdue is some TLC to the exterior, some PDR and a paint correction as well.

SCORZA!

I had a Racing Dynamics muffler before, but wanted something louder and with smaller tips so I could also fit a CSL diffuser. I got lucky and a low mileage original scorza popped up in the classifieds. Abcynthminded, a member here, did a great job packing it and shipping it out to me.

Here are videos:

I then ordered an Ebay csl diffuser from "Happybuyitnow168"
Here's my review/DIY:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=558616

Evolve-R eVenturi Euro Headers|Sect 1 OE CSL OM Scorza D/A pullies/fan delete TMS camber/subf plates
RE Besian AKG AutoSolutions 30% TMS front sway GroundControl(Koni/Eibach) Sportline 8S 18" PSS 245/275

Beater: 1999 Civic LX - Kenwood x998 Eclipse 32430 CDT HD-6 + HD-100 CDT EX-530 Clarion 10"

Last edited by TboneM3; Thu, Dec-01-2016 at 04:47:40 PM.
Old Thu, Dec-01-2016, 05:07:59 PM   #3
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

The next thing I wanted to do was upgrade my suspension. I've always run a shock and lowering spring combo on both my BMWs and was pretty content with the Eibachs and the H&Rs, even tried Tein for a really nice drop, but I realized, even for the street, the spring rates were not very good or the drop was uneven or too low.

So I snapped up a used set of Ground Control coilovers (Koni s/a) that included all of the extra pieces that you'd want too like the reinforcement plates for the rear adjusters and a set of Turner street camber/caster plates. 440 front and 550 rear 2.5" Eibach ERSs.

I had previously ran the rear Eibach ERS with the adjustable perch, but the long droop of the rear shock always bothered me because the rear spring would shift when one side was unloaded and make a horrible "pop." I called up Ground control and had them send me their "tall RSMs" that raise the droop up a couple of inches. I also asked for new bumps stops for an almost new, complete set up.

I do care about NVH, so I started thinking of how I could add to the kit to make it a bit more comfortable. I found, not on any BMW tuner sites, but a mustang one, that Eibach makes Delrin isolators in 2.5" ID for the ERS springs, but they're $9 a pop, so I just got 4 for the fronts and came up with something else for the rears:

The rubber is pretty thin, as you can see in the first pic, but one up top, under the poly or delrin white locater, and one under the red reinforcement plate should provide some extra cushion!

Installed the fronts:

I set the plates for max caster and then what I believed was -2.5 camber - I'll have to get a proper alignment though next.

Then the rears: (tall RSMs)

Just by guessing and some quick mounting, I've got my ride height at 13 and 11/16" front left and 13 5/8" front right so want to lower it 3/16 and 1/8", respectively, to get to an even 13.5" front.

Rears were even, at 13 1/4" so will lower them a bit more, at least an 1/8". Problem is that with the rubber I added in the rear, plus the delrin (I assume) top housing, plus the reinforcement plate, I'm just about out of any more lower adjustment. I'll run the collar/seat all the way down, but I may remove the top rubber pad I made since the delrin housing is an isolator itself - I'd prefer to keep the rubber under the reinforcement plate to help spread and soften the load and metal to metal contact, if possible and depending on attained ride height.

Before I take of the wheels again to do all of this, I've got a new set of wheels that I'll pickup and install at the same time. Hopefully I'll have an update and pics by next week!

Last edited by TboneM3; Thu, Dec-01-2016 at 05:34:26 PM.
Old Mon, Dec-05-2016, 04:37:51 PM   #4
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

New wheels and tires from Black Friday! Mmmmm meaty

Sportline 8s flow formed 20lbs w/ Michelin PSS
F: 18x8.5" 245/40
R: 18x9.5" 275/35

What I want the fitment to look like (going up driveway)

What it actually looks like! Need to keep adjusting and need an alignment (more neg camber I think too)

Old Tue, Dec-13-2016, 03:29:14 PM   #5
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

So I've got the rear adjusted all the way down now. It's good enough I guess, but I kinda want to go a little lower. Guess I need to move down to a 6" spring instead of the 6.5"

Does anyone else have the GC rears with 6 or 6.5" springs and encounter the same?

Last edited by TboneM3; Thu, Dec-22-2016 at 04:30:13 PM.
Old Tue, Dec-13-2016, 05:25:13 PM   #6
qwkslvrnsx

United States

I have the same exact set up Sportline 8s, same spec size/ et and same tire specs w. GC which came on the car- I must also have the 6.5" rear springs as I can't go lower, and I can't go higher up front, so I have a slight visual forward rake. BTW, I am running ECS 12.5/ 5mm spacers fr/rr and it looks great. It would look phenomenal if I could go lower by .5" in the rear tho! My front looks on point, my rear ride height is looking exactly like yours.

Last edited by qwkslvrnsx; Tue, Dec-13-2016 at 05:30:18 PM.
Jump to top qwkslvrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-13-2016, 06:02:39 PM   #7
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Ya our rears look almost identical (I'm running 3mm spacers). My rear srings say GC165.64.96 which means 6.5" tall, 2.5" id and 550lbs. Do you know what your rear springs say?

I'm not going to remove any of the reinforcment plates or housing to get lower, so I'm thinking of getting a 6" (150mm) spring next.

For function, I probably don't want to go much lower, but I'd like another 1/4" or 3/16" even so that the tire, visually, "touches" the fender.

Old Tue, Dec-13-2016, 06:42:26 PM   #8
qwkslvrnsx

United States

i'll have a look...your SG is looking and sounding great!
Jump to top qwkslvrnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-13-2016, 07:48:00 PM   #9
TEASE///M3

United States

You can remove rubber pads? Or get thinner ones? Or even run no height adjuster. I've been as low as you were in that driveway photo with TCK, it drove like it was dumped lol.

2006 M3 ZCP Interlagos Blue Manual Cinnamon 6MT Slicktop
RIP 2002 M3 Tiag Dove Grey 6MT
Jump to top TEASE///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Dec-13-2016, 09:10:44 PM   #10
TboneM3
YNWA

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwkslvrnsx View Post
i'll have a look...your SG is looking and sounding great!
Thanks! Ya let me know what you see.

Tease - I've already removed the thin rubber "donuts" that I made :/
I'm not sure if I'd take the height adjuster out because I'mnot sure how the spring would locate itself on the control arm. I think a shorter spring is probably my answer - do remember the length of the spring you had on your TCK kit?