BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Fri, Dec-16-2016, 10:16:39 AM   #491
Tig368

Default Re: Comprehensive SMG to 6MT Conversion Thread

Hi All,

I've been following this thread for quite a while now trying to get the nerve to do the conversion. Thanks to everyone's contribution to this thread, I worked up the guts to tackle the conversion (even machining the bell housing) and I am happy to report that the car is up and running again, but humbly ask for one last bit of assistance. Not always, but sometimes my RPMS will drop when I depress the clutch pedal especially when doing some slow speed maneuvering, such as when reverse parking into a stall. RPM would drop till engine would almost stall. I think on occasion my car would do this when it was still an smg. Anyway, I did wire in the GPS to pin 20, because I already had the parts and the tap anyway thinking it might simplify programming.

In an earlier post, Terraphantm and perhaps others mentioned that those with US spec M3s might want to bump up KF_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS to A0 to see if that solves the problem.

Other instructions for the coding out of the GPS had an address location to change the values in the bin file which could be modified with a hex editor. Would someone be kind enough to point out where to make the specific change in my file? I'm not the most computer savy, but am trying my best. I have been messing around with NCS expert, Inpa, Martyn's Binary Tool, MSS Flasher, and Hex Edit. Would appreciate any help in this area.

By the way, what exactly does KF_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS do. Also do I need another program to make this change, or is Hex Edit good enough.

If anyone is interested, I can attempt to contribute a little on how I machined my transmission bell housing. I took a bunch of pictures and I have a spare smg bell housing I might machine just to show how someone might tackle it if they have access to a vertical knee mill.

Thanks everyone!
Jump to top Tig368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Dec-16-2016, 10:34:45 PM   #492
armenhart

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig368 View Post
Hi All,

I've been following this thread for quite a while now trying to get the nerve to do the conversion. Thanks to everyone's contribution to this thread, I worked up the guts to tackle the conversion (even machining the bell housing) and I am happy to report that the car is up and running again, but humbly ask for one last bit of assistance. Not always, but sometimes my RPMS will drop when I depress the clutch pedal especially when doing some slow speed maneuvering, such as when reverse parking into a stall. RPM would drop till engine would almost stall. I think on occasion my car would do this when it was still an smg. Anyway, I did wire in the GPS to pin 20, because I already had the parts and the tap anyway thinking it might simplify programming.

In an earlier post, Terraphantm and perhaps others mentioned that those with US spec M3s might want to bump up KF_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS to A0 to see if that solves the problem.

Other instructions for the coding out of the GPS had an address location to change the values in the bin file which could be modified with a hex editor. Would someone be kind enough to point out where to make the specific change in my file? I'm not the most computer savy, but am trying my best. I have been messing around with NCS expert, Inpa, Martyn's Binary Tool, MSS Flasher, and Hex Edit. Would appreciate any help in this area.

By the way, what exactly does KF_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS do. Also do I need another program to make this change, or is Hex Edit good enough.

If anyone is interested, I can attempt to contribute a little on how I machined my transmission bell housing. I took a bunch of pictures and I have a spare smg bell housing I might machine just to show how someone might tackle it if they have access to a vertical knee mill.

Thanks everyone!
I had the same idle/stall issues at low speeds. It was a headache to park the car, constantly giving it throttle to avoid stalling. Secondary issue was cruise control not working. The solution ended up being to cut some wire that used to send the signal for cruise control with the smg system. It would expect a response from the smg computer and when it didn't get one it would just shut down.

AKG | Ground Control | Turner | Achilles | Redish | Apex
Jump to top armenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Dec-18-2016, 08:01:13 AM   #493
Tig368

Interesting, I haven't heard that one before, would you happen to know which wire that was? I already pulled my SMG computer. I appreciate your response and it will be something I will try to look into.

Would still like to know what KF_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS does and where and how to bump up its values. Is there a certain program I'm missing that describes what this is and where to find it?

Thanks!
Old Sun, Dec-18-2016, 10:32:40 PM   #494
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

It increases the minimum torque when the clutch is engaged. A0 is what the European software is set to.
Old Mon, Dec-19-2016, 08:17:00 AM   #495
Tig368

Hi Terraphantm,

I really appreciate your explanation of what it does and I would like to try and change that value. I just drove my car last night and it stalled a bunch of times when slowing down to stop with the clutch pedal down and the AC running. Appears to act up when the engine is loaded up with the AC and cranking the steering wheel with the clutch pedal down and slowing down for a stop.

Is it a simple matter of editing the binary tune file with Hex Edit? If so would you happen to know how I can find the right address for the parameter to change? Would it be better to use a different software that points to the correct field?

I apologize, if it sounds like I am taking a short cut expecting people to just give me an answer. I've been doing my best and got this far (Car works, but has this stalling issue), but its hard to teach an old dog new tricks and coding is a bit out of my area of expertise. I've spent several days looking for a solution and about at my wits end. If you could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
Old Mon, Dec-19-2016, 04:42:27 PM   #496
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

What software version are you on?
Old Tue, Dec-20-2016, 08:59:37 AM   #497
Tig368

So I pulled up the partial read and it displayed 211323002001JD79 which I believe refers to DME MSS54HP version 7837805 per p0lar's thread on identifying the program version.

First of all, I will be honest, I feel like an idiot. It took me 6 weeks to do the conversion and I have never driven a 6MT M3 before so I didn't realize that I was down on a lot of power. Somehow, I managed to program everything but the darn DME and in the process of looking up the program version to answer your question, it hit me as I could see that my car still said it was an smg according to Martyn's Binary tool and a fresh read from the existing tune. So at 11:00 pm, I flashed the DME with the 6MT program and wow, what a difference! The engine has been snoozing for the past couple of weeks and I had no clue. So much more responsive now. I don't know how I manged to do that when it's the easiest thing to do with the Binary Tool. Was that what everyone has been calling limp mode? I wasn't getting any CELs or anything odd on the instrument cluster. It was driveable and I thought it was just my imagination that the car drove better when it still was an smg.

Anyway, I only drove for a few miles and have not yet reset the adaptions so I don't know if that possibly fixes the problem. If it is not too much trouble, I still would like to know where to change the value to A0 and appreciate the time spent trying to assist me. I still might need to make the change, but I just wanted to be up front about the mistake I made.
Old Thu, Jan-19-2017, 08:56:58 PM   #498
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

I love love love my smg. That said I'm going to wait till Vince releases his smg pump relocation kit. Once I install that I'll also replace the smg motor etc and clutch. If the car is good and drives smooth then all good if not I'm really thinking converting it to a 6MT is the only way to make it drive smooth.

If that happens I'll have to bloody learn to drive 6MT smoothly again after 2 decades LOL
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-30-2017, 03:21:24 AM   #499
wapahhSOpitted

United States

Hi..new to the forum and a little defeated. Does anyone know of a shop in the pacific northwest that is comfortable doing the conversion from 2004 e46 m3 SMG to 6MT? Also, Ive searched a lot of FS posts and havent been able to find a manual transmission either.. I now see one or two on ebay but if anyone has one in the seattle area that would be great. I have a blown SMG pump and I am in over my head with trying this myself. Might just replace the pump but would love to have a manual.. If this is the wrong place for this or if it seems like I didnt do enough research, sorry. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by wapahhSOpitted; Mon, Jan-30-2017 at 04:31:26 AM.
Jump to top wapahhSOpitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 05:30:36 PM   #500
slik

United States

Just finished my conversion thanks to this thread and a big Thank you to everyone!

I have one lingering issue, mine is an 02 coupe and I wired, coded, and flashed my way to the finish line. I have reverse lights, and tilt mirrors, but my PDC sensors are no longer functioning. Everything I have read points towards the PDC and Tilt not working if the reverse sensor was not wired right, but I am getting tilt, but no PDC.

One last bit of info, I recoded the DSC and AKMB however, I did not recode the EWS. I don't think that has any bearing on parking sensors, but maybe I am wrong...

EDIT:
I am an idiot. When putting the lower dash back in I did not plug in the speaker all the way. All is good, she has the PDC beeping again. Thanks to everyone again!

Last edited by slik; Wed, Feb-22-2017 at 05:59:46 PM.
Jump to top slik is offline   Reply With Quote