BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

View Poll Results: What is your 4.0L V8's oil consumption rate?
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 5,000+ miles 109 53.96%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 4,000 miles 31 15.35%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 3,000 miles 31 15.35%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 2,000 miles 10 4.95%
My E9x M3 V8 engine burns 1-liter of oil every 1,000 miles 21 10.40%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sun, Nov-29-2009, 01:55:02 AM   #41
elp_jc

United States

To keep the thread going, does anybody have a clue HOW the oil gets to the combustion chamber? It has to be thru the rings or valve guides, but why? I'd understand if we were running 5/20 oil, but with 10/60? Aren't our engines supposedly built to very close tolerances? Something doesn't add up.

I'm at 1,600 miles from the break-in service, and oil level still shows as full, which is good news since most of those miles have been highway, at high speeds (between 3,500 and 4K rpm), where this car supposedly burns more oil.

I'm thinking these engines drink more oil when pushed hard, rather than just revved high for highway travel, no? At the ton, it's revving over 4K rpm, but hardly breaking a sweat. And the funny thing is the engine doesn't sound like it's revving high, or even strained at all. Love driving this car on trips; it's a blast. Hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving .
Jump to top elp_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Nov-29-2009, 12:21:18 PM   #42
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 0 Cleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
To keep the thread going, does anybody have a clue HOW the oil gets to the combustion chamber? It has to be thru the rings or valve guides, but why? I'd understand if we were running 5/20 oil, but with 10/60? Aren't our engines supposedly built to very close tolerances? Something doesn't add up.
The thing most M3 owners don't understand, is that our high-revving engines are very unique powerplants. They cannot be compared to the typical 3-series engines in the non-M cars. The engineering tolerance that are used to build these engines, does create a few necessary compromises that are unavoidable.

The biggest difference between a "M" engine and non-M engine, are the tolerances between the cylinder bore and the the Aluminum pistons /w/ nitrided cro-moly steel piston rings.

Since the S65B40 4.0 liter engine revs to 8400 rpms, the tolerances for piston ring-to-cylinder wall clearances have to more conservative than the tolerances for a normal 3-series engine.

One of the problems associated with in designing a high performance engine with a 8400 redline, is the intense heat that is generated at full load.

You have to engineer in a small relief tolerance, so the piston does not SEIZE inside the cylinder bore.

All internal engine components are made of a wide variety of steel, titanium and magnesium alloys. These reciprocating engine parts are sliding inside smooth uncoated aluminum engine block cylinder bores. These different metal alloys all have different expansion and contraction rates when they heat up.

The BMW engineers have to accurately calculate a safe operating tolerance between all these parts at every temperature point between 0 degrees Fahrenheit and ~260 degrees Fahrenheit.

The biggest challenge for the engineers...is to find a happy medium where the engine will not seize under the most intense testing conditions, while also minimizing the blowby of oil past the piston rings.

That happy medium is why we are told NOT to rev the engine before the engine reaches it's normal operating temperature. (~220 degrees Fahrenheit)

If you rev the engine too high (before it has reached it's normal operation temperature), you will be forcing some oil residual past the outer piston rings into the combustion chamber. (where it is burned as a fuel source)

That is where you 'lose' oil when the engine is cold.

When the engine is operated at extremely high rpms for long periods of time, the break-in procedure will determine whether or not you lose a noticeable amount of oil over time.

Some M engines will lose oil, while others will not.

It all comes down to how well the piston rings were worn-in upon initial break-in.

If the break-in was successful, the edges of the piston rings will seal properly with the cylinder walls to create a very tight seal. But if the edges of the piston rings did not wear-in properly...you will not have a good seal. (resulting in moderate to severe oil consumption)
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Nov-30-2009, 03:43:24 AM   #43
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...

United States

Nice info. Thanks. So if I understand you correctly if you rev your engine before it is fully warm you will most likely just burn more oil but not necessarily harm it? I don't ever do this but I am curious.

2009 E90 M3 - LeMans Blue - Speed Cloth - 6 speed
ESS Tune - BMW Performance Exhaust - StopTech Trophy BBK - KW Clubsport Suspension - TE37SL Wheels
Jump to top AMPowerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-03-2009, 05:29:46 AM   #44
elp_jc

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
Since the S65B40 4.0 liter engine revs to 8400 rpms, the tolerances for piston ring-to-cylinder wall clearances have to more conservative than the tolerances for a normal 3-series engine.
Isn't piston speed the real variable? Don't have engine dimensions handy, but a long-stroke piston could be travelling at the same speed at 7K rpm as a short-stroke one at 8,400 rpm, no? Both should generate the same amount of heat, correct? Furthermore, with an appropriate cooling system that shouldn't be an issue anyway. And hey, motorcycles rev to the moon compared to the S65 engine, and mine have never burned any oil.

Having said that, what you said actually makes sense, even if I don't know why. Maybe the S65 has forged pistons that behave differently, or titanium connecting rods, etc. I don't believe our engines even have the former, but as long as oil consumption is not over the top, I don't have an issue with that. Heck, even my 2 new Hondas consume oil too, something that never happened to me before with any new car. My guess is sloppy quality and/or looser tolerances for cheaper costs, but could be wrong. Thanks a lot for your insight buddy .
Jump to top elp_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-03-2009, 08:17:05 PM   #45
DryFly
swims upstream...

United States

Default 6k miles

I just put in my first "extra" qt of oil today at 7.2k mi. (last change at 1200mi service).

2008 M3 Coupe /// DCT Space Grey-Silver Novillo-Black Anthracite // Tech / Premium / 19s / sunroof / Sat-HD-EPS-iPod / painted reflectors / matte black kidney grills & gills / MS intake filter / MS Spacers / 30% Suntek carbon tint / Challenge SS brake lines / Motul 600 / Cool Carbon pads
Jump to top DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Dec-12-2009, 07:20:22 AM   #46
Niels E46 M3

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland View Post
Good solid info.

At 8800 miles on the current oil, I assume you are doing a fresh oil change soon?
Yes, will be getting fluids changed as service interval approaches. I missed the midway point on this interval,but all future service intervals will have an "inbetween" fluid change.
  • All Options except Sunroof

My Ultimate BMW ///M Blog
Jump to top Niels E46 M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-14-2009, 06:02:37 PM   #47
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

United States

Still no option for none on this poll. I've had my 1,200 mile service and 1 year ownership oil change. I lost no oil over either of those periods. The car has about 9,000 miles on it.
1987 BMW 325is SpecE30: spece30.ridedomain.com
2012 BMW M3 Individual: Sold lsb.ridedomain.com
2013 Subaru BRZ: Sold brz.ridedomain.com
2012 Porsche Cayman R: Sold cayman.ridedomain.com
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06: Sold z06.ridedomain.com
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
2004 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold m3.ridedomain.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jump to top King Tut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-06-2011, 10:07:48 AM   #48
buzz1515

United States

Default Re: Post your ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION RATE here...

Could anyone tell me total oil capacity for the 4.0 v8 2011?

Regards
Jump to top buzz1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-06-2011, 12:15:50 PM   #49
Cleveland
///M POWERED

Reputation: 0 Cleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland PorshaCleveland Porsha

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1515 View Post
Could anyone tell me total oil capacity for the 4.0 v8 2011?

Regards
BMWtechinfo.com states the E9x M3's 4.0L V8 oil capacity is 8.8 liters. (9.3 U.S. quarts)
True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and give their all for the success of the team. They can be identified by the clarity of their vision, the strength of their actions, and the integrity of their intent. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, and the courage to make tough decisions. A true leader has compassion, and is willing to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but he becomes one by the confidence that he inspires in others. He commands the respect of his peers, and is humbled by the admiration of his followers. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan, and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader's commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
Jump to top Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, May-06-2011, 05:36:43 PM   #50
foolio
40oz. to Freedom

In the garage:

United States

Usually around 7-8k miles on an oil change I have to add a liter. I try to change my oil every 7-8k miles.