BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 08:04:45 PM   #41
Tonester
Banned

Viet Nam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyrbba View Post
Got a very similar problem as the post above. The car works for a while, but after ~2-3hrs of intense driving SMG(gear) and engine lights lid up. I've checked the error memory for both engine and smg and they always come up with the same errors (BMW INPA).

177 - Mil external info
Mil requirement by SMG
Error present
Static Error

------------------------

56 - Switching on time of hydralic unit
Implausible value
sporadic error

That doesn't really mean s**t to me. I already swapped the relay, and almost thought it fixed when, worked well for almost 3 hours of hard city circuit But then BOOM lights up and dropping out of gears to N/0.

Sounds just too weird to be the pump, since it works great until it actually starts working bad I've checked the smg fluid, and it was like ~70% to the max line, and the car had been sitting for few days. Is this normal? Cause imo the problem seems to happen when the car heats up properly.

Here is the exact error codes if anyone is interested:

------------------------

56 Switching-on time of hydraulic unit

Error Frequency : 1

Error Occured 1. times at:

Current kilometres 90950.00 km
environmental temperature 14.00 grad C
Voltage supply Ubatt 13.00 V
Hydraulic pump state 1.00 0/1
actual hydraulic temperature 76.00 grad C
hydraulic pressure of raw data 79,63 bar
clutch state 1.0 closed
gearbox state 0.00 shifted
engine speed by CAN 2108.00 1/min
sensor voltage supply B 5.01 V

------------------------

And engine...

------------------------

177 Mil external info

Error frequency: 1
logistic counter: 40

Engine speed 960.00 rpm
relative filling 12.00 %
cooling water temp 85.00 degrees C
Lambda adaptation offset 1.82 ms
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 0.10 h

MIL-requirement by SMG
Error Present
Static Error

Ideas anyone?
We just had a car come in and it had the same faults, the pump was not holding pressure.

I took off the pressure accumulator replaced the o-ring and reinstalled everything and pressurized the system to see if it would, but no luck... unit still would not hold pressure. Disassembled the hydraulic unit to see if I can find some sort of failed check valve, but nothing to be seen.

I still haven't had time to upload all those pics and make a post.

Last edited by Tonester; Thu, Jul-09-2009 at 12:13:34 AM.
Jump to top Tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 09:45:14 PM   #42
NC03M3
'05 M3 SMG

In the garage:

United States

Referring to below:

No noise from the pump when unlocking the car. Transmission will not engage any gear.

If you've already replaced the relay and there's still no noise from the pump, the hydraulic unit has likely failed.

I just noticed that there is no hydraulic noise when unlocking the door - however, the car drives. I have noticed only in the last week that the gearbox kind of slurs the shifts even in S5 instead of the ballistic thud-thud.

Any ideas? I will be going in to the dealer this week for an Inspection I.

My car is an '05 with 23,000 miles.

Cheers!
PFitz
Jump to top NC03M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 10:18:03 PM   #43
m3 hal

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC03M3 View Post
I just noticed that there is no hydraulic noise when unlocking the door - however, the car drives.
that is odd, is the car completely cold when this happens? I could see it not happening if it was recently shut off and still holding some pressure but a car that has sat overnight should make the buzzing noise I think...
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-06-2009, 11:24:02 PM   #44
yaja23
M Addict

In the garage:

United States

You have already replaced the relay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC03M3 View Post
Referring to below:

No noise from the pump when unlocking the car. Transmission will not engage any gear.

If you've already replaced the relay and there's still no noise from the pump, the hydraulic unit has likely failed.

I just noticed that there is no hydraulic noise when unlocking the door - however, the car drives. I have noticed only in the last week that the gearbox kind of slurs the shifts even in S5 instead of the ballistic thud-thud.

Any ideas? I will be going in to the dealer this week for an Inspection I.

My car is an '05 with 23,000 miles.

PFitz

Orion V2 Angel Eyes, OEM LED TailLights, Valentine1 Hardwired, OEM ZCP Rims, Turner Subframe Reinforcement Kit, Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Bootlid
Jump to top yaja23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-07-2009, 10:02:02 PM   #45
M3hitman

United Kingdom

I have had a nightmare with the so called garage I took my E46 M3 to.
I had a series of lights going on SMG....intermitant cut outs and eventually complete engine cut out on the highway home in June 09, and ended up getting transported to a garage registered with the Office of Fair Trading, meaning it has to abide by rules to give good honest service to customer.

Well its taken 3 weeks for them to tell me its a clutch problem...SMG! I then asked what it will cost and it then took another 1 week to tell me a 3000 quote/estimate. I didnt even get a low-down on the actual problem. Little does this guy know that I am well read in the M3 and I asked relevant Q's which I got rubbish answers to....I was told the gear box needed removing!!!!
Am I the only one but do these mechanics think they are clever!!!
I eventually asked him for the part number.....infact I found out the only part that requires replacing it the pressure accumilator PN.21532229716...which costs 400 brand new...So why quote for the whole SMG pump 2000..

The way to get to the pump....from the front of the car..no gearbox removal!!!so why charge me more?

As you can tell I am furious with these guys... Can anyone help add to my predicament....They have had my car for over 1 month now!!!
Jump to top M3hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jul-07-2009, 10:13:05 PM   #46
m3 hal

United States

^^^

sounds like they aren't very familiar with SMG and/or they are trying to rip you off, can you take the car to another shop?
Jump to top m3 hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jul-08-2009, 11:55:55 AM   #47
M3hitman

United Kingdom

Hi Hal,
I think they dont want to admit they know nothing....worse still they want to add to my costing for their fumbling around with my car. I tried to take the car to someone else but they quoted me $$$ for the investigation work etc....

I am begining to think it would be better to go direct to the dealer...even though it costs more...
Old Wed, Jul-08-2009, 05:46:32 PM   #48
jyrbba

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester View Post
We just had a car come in and it had the same faults, the pump was not holding pressure.

I took off the pressure accumulator replaced the o-ring and reinstalled everything and pressurized the system to see if it would no pressure.. no luck. Disassembled the hydraulic unit to see if I can find some sort of failed check valve, but nothing to be seen.

I still haven't had time to upload all those pics and make a post.
Ok, good to know incase the the connecting line + fluid replacement doesn't solve my problems. But I'm pretty convinced that it's the fluid.
Jump to top jyrbba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-09-2009, 12:06:49 AM   #49
bmw_for_life

United States

what do you mean by 'new box'?because i am having the same problems
Jump to top bmw_for_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jul-09-2009, 01:08:57 PM   #50
M3hitman

United Kingdom

Thumbs down

Get a load of this..

I need a new part for my m3. My garage cant/wont compromise and have quoted me for a new SMG pump and accumulator at 1500 plus VAT.
I try and find the part reconditioned and true its a hard part to find...but then I get the part that needs replacing from the dealer...turns out the part number is the pressure accumilator only...cost 350...!
I confirm this with the garage and yes its the accumilator only...So I then try to get the part from a BMW dealer...As soon as they find out I am a member of the so called public...." sorry we dont sell to the public"
Not really a problem as I can get the part from germany direct but there is a recession on...the garages could do with opening their eyes and get the extra custom!!!!

What pees me off is the garage could do all this but it wont/cant/not bothered!!!
Why...???