BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 02:42:59 AM   #41
SeanE46

In the garage:

Armenia

Default Re: Radar detectors

A good lawyer is my answer! With my old E36 I did some stupid stuff and I got away scot free. Best lawyer in LA IMO and usually only 100$ per ticket
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 02:45:01 AM   #42
icecream
Registered Apples

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Not seeing the logic here. There's a problem if I'm not trying to have fun, aka speed, in public? I don't see any need to have "fun" by speeding. I may accelerate to speed limit or make a turn a little faster than normal, but I stay within speed limit. How is going XX MPH over limit in public any more fun than driving at the speed limit? Neither are fun; both are boring. A speeding citation isn't worth it to me, too much of a pita. But I do understand why people would want to speed in a safe manner.

I used to speed excessively without a radar detector; I did fine. Just drive smart.
I had a V1 for a few months. It was nice but useless to me. Got rid of that.
I currently use Waze only. It's nice to know if anything is ahead of you, whether it's police, debris on the road, or a disabled vehicle.

I liked the V1 because of the directional arrows, and admittedly, prefer the sounds it makes over other brands/models. I especially liked the laser tune. It'd be perfect when paired with Waze.
More speed means more rpm to play with and more gears to change. I dont think we are saying we do it 100 percent of the time but when the road allows, opening it up to 90 or more is fun and does no harm when no one is around. Not only that but sometimes I just want to pass a few people and get ahead a bit requiring a bit of speed. Or, i forget and end up doing 50 in a 35 or the limit is 35 on a wide empty 3 lane road and I want to do 50 or im on a twisty mountain road and want to go 10 or 15 over when the road allows or on occasion I just want to gun the damn car and shift through more than 2 gears. Around here there are plenty of times when traffic is doing well over the limit too so I would rather like to know if I am being watched so I can avoid being picked out. I mean, i dont get it. A radar detector is a sound investment. We all speed, every one of us and there is nothing wrong with it when conditions allow. No, we dont need the govment to dictate when that is, most of us can determine that ourselves just fine.
Jump to top icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 02:59:35 AM   #43
Voss
Function over Form

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
I would be willing to say it's pointless to drive an M3 if you never drive above speed limit (at least with the artificially low speed limits in the US). And I would say it's also pointless to drive an M3 if the only time you open it up is on the track (might as well have a more dedicated track car like a Corvette or something and daily drive a corolla if you're going to drive the M3 like one)
Come on, man. You're being obtuse. It's pretty known within the community that the platform does dual duty pretty well. When not in sport mode, a very comfortable daily driver to putt around town in, and when taken to the track, is very capable. The actual speed you're doing with both types of driving shouldn't dictate why you should own the car or not. hit:

Last edited by Voss; Thu, Jan-12-2017 at 03:14:54 AM.
Jump to top Voss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 03:08:35 AM   #44
WOLFN8TR
"RatedM"

In the garage:

United States

My V1 has saved me countless tickets in the M3. I love it when I get alerts, slow down and people blow by me then pulled over. I took a road trip back in June of 2016 in my 2500HD and left it at home, got a ticket on the way out of town. Just my luck...

-TTFS Engine/SMG Tune- SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA- Evolve Eventuri- Sprint Booster V2-
-UltraGauge- Orion V4's- CF Console/Diffuser/Lip- VIS XTS CF Hood- LED Fogs- Valentine One- Turner 15F/12R Spacers-
Jump to top WOLFN8TR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 06:43:51 AM   #45
LINDW4LL

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenhart View Post
Question to anyone who has a laser jammer: what state are you in?

I'm in California and I was under the impression that radar and laser jammers are illegal, and a quick google search shows I was right about that. However, I've also read that the chance of getting caught is extremely low. One guy on a random forum said he got lasered about 10 times and never got a 2nd look, which sounds like bs to me.

Considering 5 out of 6 of my tickets have been from LIDAR it might be worth looking in to if the risk/fine/etc is minimal.
Laser jammers are only illegal in something like 10 states (California being one of them, obviously), so it's not an issue for most of the US.

That being said, even when I drive through a state where they're illegal, I leave them turned on. The likelihood of an LEO realizing he's being jammed is incredibly low, and even if one were to realize it, an equipment citation is far better than a speeding ticket in nearly every case.

Jump to top LINDW4LL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 07:34:07 AM   #46
Moneyline

United States

V1 here as well. I've been recently getting a lot of laser triggers but seems like those newer cars sets it off however not sure what type of car cause this. Does anyone know how much it cost for an update and will it filter out the newer cars setting it off?
Jump to top Moneyline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 04:53:32 PM   #47
bimmer777

Ukraine

V1 for last 9 years and I keep updating it for latest tech. Last update was very good and took out a great amount of false alarms. Now I feel naked without it. Taking it with me to pick up a new car this weekend.

Waze is also a great asset. I basically have it on most of the time when I am driving on highways. Couldnt live without it now.

Laser Interceptor - had it in the past and it saved me a few times. Just bought another set and need to put it on. It has proven to be effective.
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 05:03:36 PM   #48
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer777 View Post
V1 for last 9 years and I keep updating it for latest tech. Last update was very good and took out a great amount of false alarms. Now I feel naked without it. Taking it with me to pick up a new car this weekend.

Waze is also a great asset. I basically have it on most of the time when I am driving on highways. Couldnt live without it now.

Laser Interceptor - had it in the past and it saved me a few times. Just bought another set and need to put it on. It has proven to be effective.
100% agreed, on all counts

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, Wife's 6mt NA RWD e91, 04 M3 wagon
Past cars: 04 M3, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car

"People do not see good design." -- Claus Luthe, BMW chief designer e30-e39

FS: 6mt, RWD, iDrive free, properly maintained e91 (wagon)
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 05:08:43 PM   #49
terraphantm

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voss View Post
Come on, man. You're being obtuse. It's pretty known within the community that the platform does dual duty pretty well. When not in sport mode, a very comfortable daily driver to putt around town in, and when taken to the track, is very capable. The actual speed you're doing with both types of driving shouldn't dictate why you should own the car or not. hit:
Nah, I really do maintain there is zero reason to drive this car if not driving fast. It's extremely boring at low speeds, and doesn't have the comfort or tech to compensate for said boredom. And if I'm only driving fast on the track , there are much better track cars out there, even for the same or less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
Huh? M3 can't be a good dedicated track car?
The M3 is loads better than a Corvette for track use imo.

My M3 is perfect for my uses, even though it's stripped a good amount. Doesn't get driven much, but when it is, I can get from A to B with no issues. I can stuff anything I need to into the car, including groceries, my excessive track equipment (no trailer ftw), and other junk without any issues. And I can comfortably flog it at the track. It does everything. At the end of the day, it's a car. Still not understanding how you think it's pointless to drive an M3 when I don't speed. Again, there is absolutely nothing that can be done on the street that is fun while also being safe, speeding or not.

IIRC, you said the most high performance thing you've done with your car is autocross. I guess it's fair to say there's no point in owning that M3 of yours if you're not using the car properly.

Doesn't matter though; changes nothing. I will continue driving the M3 in public like a grandma and flogging it at the track. No regrets, no shame.
Can it be a good track car? Sure. Are there better ones? Absolutely. I probably said the most high performance thing I've done with my car is autocross when that was true. Not really my cup of tea.

Tbh, with any organized motorsport, I hate how it becomes an all day thing. I like just being able to go into my car when I want, where I want and just drive. If I lived in a place where I could never drive fast and through corners, I'd get rid of the car. Actually that is more and more the case these days, though I do get the odd weekend at least. Probably will restore it to stock over the next year or so and sell it.

Last edited by terraphantm; Thu, Jan-12-2017 at 05:20:28 PM.
Jump to top terraphantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 05:32:49 PM   #50
Alpine335TT

United States

Is a radar detector really necessary these days with the existence of Waze? I haven't used my V1 for a while now and haven't had any issues.

2004 CB M3

Retired:

2004 A4 1.8T
2004 S4
2008 AW E92 335i
2011 LMB E92 335i

Jump to top Alpine335TT is offline   Reply With Quote