BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Dec-14-2016, 02:57:43 AM   #921
DJ RaMiN

United States

Default Re: SMG troubleshooting FAQ

Hey guys. I couldn't find any info on my issue. I've been getting the cog light every now and then and usually it goes away after a restart. Car shifts fine and no problems there. I don't think its a high temperature issue since it happens now in winter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jump to top DJ RaMiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Jan-12-2017, 04:02:30 AM   #922
j-dog
Jdog

United States

Heads up to those who have the cog light with no SMG symptoms:

Prior to my SMG-6MT swap, I had the SMG cog light go on with no driving symptoms at all. I was already planning on getting the swap done anyways. KAIV tested my SMG prior to doing the swap, and he found no other issue other than 'power supply" error.

Approx. 2 months earlier, I had issues with my radio randomly and intermittently shutting off for a few seconds and then coming back on. This radio issue gradually became more frequent and the shut offs became minutes. The car otherwise worked fine, i thought my radio was on the blink. Then my cog light went on.

KAIV discovered that my alternator was overcharging, at times up to 16 volts! Since I changed the alternator, my radio issues are gone. I am 99.9% certain that the over charging alternator also caused the "power supply" error since all other systems of my SMG checked out as A-OK.

06 ZCP. Jet Black.
Jump to top j-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 07:25:25 PM   #923
cncmastr
M-Texture Alcantara

In the garage:

United States

Just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I had the blinking light, my hood was open. duh!

Collection of my DIY Guides here
Jump to top cncmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-18-2017, 08:07:51 PM   #924
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whoore

Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Just wanted to say thank you for posting this. I had the blinking light, my hood was open. duh!
i've done several times

Tischer aka GetBmwParts
Jump to top daytonaviolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-19-2017, 04:54:36 AM   #925
0-60Motorsports
Established 1998....

In the garage:

Bahrain

Hey guys, While driving in S3 or Any manual mode, when im slowing down either it be slowly or aggressively there is a forward jerk while shifting down. Any ideas? I haven't scanned for any codes yet but will do soon. Also no SMG light etc on the dash.
EURO 04 M3 Mods: GC DA's / Eibach Sways / PF RTABs / RE RCAs / INTRAVEE II / ///MFEST Badges / M5 SMG Knob / VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffusor / DIETZ TV in Motion / SuperSprint: Stepped Headers, Cat Deletes, Res X-pipe, Sport Muffler / Z8 Starter Button / Lamin-X / STM Paddles / OEM CSL: Steering, Interior, Intake, CF Roof / Terra MSS54HP CSL Clone + TTFS Tune / BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ / ST40's / DINAN RSB / RE Race Brace / BW Oil Cooler / 3.91 gears / Radium OCC
Jump to top 0-60Motorsports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Jan-19-2017, 06:46:18 AM   #926
Flow

In the garage:

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Hey guys, While driving in S3 or Any manual mode, when im slowing down either it be slowly or aggressively there is a forward jerk while shifting down. Any ideas? I haven't scanned for any codes yet but will do soon. Also no SMG light etc on the dash.
My bet is on clutch adaptation. Engine rev matches before completely disengaging the clutch, which makes the car jerk forward.
Redo the clutch adaptation and see if it helps
Old Sat, Feb-04-2017, 02:55:05 PM   #927
Thenakedflyer

United Kingdom

Reading with interest.. Ran the bleed program for actuator and clutch in inpa no errors all fine then went to do the adaptions after that. The procedure failed at clutch opening about four minutes in. All gears 'measured' then a message flashes up shift path something for a split second then clutch opening then procedure break.. Error report says " time for adjusting the selector angle (WW) too long "... Anybody shed any light on what this means?
Car has 110k miles on the clock but a pump from a 68k car in it which primes and works great. Car drives really good quick changes and no issues apparent other than the cog light on.
I have the adaption values if they are useful...
Any info advice much appreciated..
Jump to top Thenakedflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-06-2017, 08:33:00 PM   #928
Vilius

United Kingdom

Hello, guys, I recently have bought 325i (it is not m3, but maybe You won't get very mad) 2003y with SSG (or SMGI) gearbox. Sadly, it has problem: sometimes gearbox works as normal and sometimes it feels like clutch is slipping- try to drive, but the engine revs is jumping between 2000 and 4000 and the car is barely moving (if you "torture" the car, you can smell the clutch at this situation), as well in this situation slipping is feeling in all gears. At this point you turn off/turn (remove the key) on engine and for a while gearbox is working quite fine. These symptoms mostly appears while driving in a city with more stop/go intervals, at long journey gearbox works quite fine. Which part of gearbox problem it could be? Last owner had told that clutch is changed not many times ago (there are all bills- clutch, labor, reset). Could it be SMG relay- but as I found in other topics, relay symptoms are different, in mine car the pump is working, engine starts every time, no COG lights (just several times there were DSC/ABS/Brake lights up, but after a while they gone), INPA don't show any error. If any of You have similar experience, please let me know how do You solve it. Cheers

Last edited by Vilius; Mon, Feb-06-2017 at 08:42:22 PM.
Jump to top Vilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 02:25:09 PM   #929
Thenakedflyer

United Kingdom

Nobody got any ideas? Seems like a lot of the m3 forums are getting really quiet now.. :-/
Jump to top Thenakedflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-10-2017, 02:54:22 AM   #930
Goingfast

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingfast View Post
Took the car out today and the first sign of an aggressive acceleration induced a delay in gear upshifting from 1st to 2nd gear and so on. I down shifted from 6th to 5th and there was a few second delay. The "number" flashed a few times before changing it. Will bring to a shop to see if they will replace the springs for me before wanting to replace the pump.
Finally, I got time to fix this issue and the delayed shifting is due to a broken spring. I had the shop replaced all 3 springs and detents as a preventive maintenance. The tech said the spring broke in 4 pieces. Picking up the car tomorrow and can't wait to drive it again. Thank you all for posting this solution and save me a boat of money since every shops wanted to change the transmission.
Jump to top Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote