BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Jan-02-2017, 08:05:52 PM   #1571
armenhart

United States

Default Re: E46 M3 Market Sales Tracker: Please Report Your Purchase or Sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
Indeed. This question may deserve a new thread, but here it goes: Are we starting to see the historical market preference for manual coupes give way? Are SMG Verts starting to command market premium?

It's a tough question because you have to somehow isolate away the non-controversial" preferences for year, mileage, ZCP and color combos. Those preferences make sense. The preference for coupe over vert, and manual over SMG have never made sense to me.

maw
My

As I said in a different thread, SMG and/or vert won't pull in a premium, but I think the premium for manual will die down and correct itself.

Fixing the SMG pump and all that hoopla will only get cheaper. It will no longer be more financially efficient to do 6mt swaps. I assume we're looking at around $4k per job; I think that's fair? (My swap cost me about $3k but that's not normal from what I hear). That's the main reason I did mine. I didn't ever want to take my wallet out for SMG pump issues again (secondary reason being I always wanted a manual from the start, so it made sense for 2 reasons).

From the perspective of a buyer who wants to drive the car and have lots of fun....... The things that will continue to command premium to ME would be ZCP and mileage. Year doesn't matter to me because the issues between model year are easily fixed. Color combos also don't matter to me because it's been shown time and time again that interiors can be swapped, and we all know how easy it is to wrap your car. So why pay a premium for AW/IR or IB/CIN when you can wrap and swap for cheaper?

In fact, it's on my list to get an AW wrap and IR later on. Hold onto each for 2-3 years and then go back to original. I don't see why I should pay $3-4k extra just because a car is white or red. But it all comes down to personal preference, obviously.

AKG | Ground Control | Turner | Achilles | Redish | Apex
Next up, once I'm not broke: STG exhaust, Bilstein coilovers, csl front/rear, cf roof, respray
I'm like Jon Snow, I know nothing.
Jump to top armenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jan-03-2017, 07:25:33 PM   #1572
maw1124

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by armenhart View Post
My

As I said in a different thread, SMG and/or vert won't pull in a premium, but I think the premium for manual will die down and correct itself.

Fixing the SMG pump and all that hoopla will only get cheaper. It will no longer be more financially efficient to do 6mt swaps. I assume we're looking at around $4k per job; I think that's fair? (My swap cost me about $3k but that's not normal from what I hear). That's the main reason I did mine. I didn't ever want to take my wallet out for SMG pump issues again (secondary reason being I always wanted a manual from the start, so it made sense for 2 reasons).

From the perspective of a buyer who wants to drive the car and have lots of fun....... The things that will continue to command premium to ME would be ZCP and mileage. Year doesn't matter to me because the issues between model year are easily fixed. Color combos also don't matter to me because it's been shown time and time again that interiors can be swapped, and we all know how easy it is to wrap your car. So why pay a premium for AW/IR or IB/CIN when you can wrap and swap for cheaper?

In fact, it's on my list to get an AW wrap and IR later on. Hold onto each for 2-3 years and then go back to original. I don't see why I should pay $3-4k extra just because a car is white or red. But it all comes down to personal preference, obviously.
Yeah, I hear all that. But I'm not thinking the market will be following any of that logic. That is the question though. To the extent people want to view these as special cars, the general rules are (1) if the top goes down, the value goes up (convertible always commands a premium so why should this car be any different?); and (2) rare FACTORY color combos matter (always, so why not this car?). Manuals are for purists only anymore, since almost no one really thinks they shift better or faster than the computers.

So it's strange for me to see this car defy well known and accepted car logic. And I wonder if people really think that will continue. We have one Yes vote (thanks, armenhart). Anyone else?

maw
Jump to top maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-03-2017, 07:48:44 PM   #1573
GBeliveau

In the garage:

Canada

Are you the Buyer or Seller?: Buyer
Model Year: 2003.5
Mileage: 150,000 kms
Coupe or Convertible?: Coupe
Exterior Color: Silver
Interior Color: Black
Manual or SMG?: SMG
Major Options: Xenon's, Harmon Kardon, winter package
Under Warranty?: No
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Good (exterior 8/10, interior 8/10)
Any unusual items that affected value?: Some modifications; Springs, CSL SMG tune/trunk/wheels, intake/headers/exhaust, pulley kit, mishimoto elc. fan..
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): Private
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: Kijiji

Sale Location (City, State): Toronto Ont.
Sale Date (Month, Year): Dec 2016
Seller Asking Price: $21,000+
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $19,000
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): $
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): Looked on the westcoast for months and wasn't happy with conditons of those available or where ask way too much. Ended up finding this one in Ontario and did my research, was worth a flight out and shipping costs. Considered importing from the US if search went on much longer.

Last edited by GBeliveau; Tue, Jan-03-2017 at 10:29:12 PM. Reason: Proper listing
Jump to top GBeliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jan-03-2017, 09:34:12 PM   #1574
Gary&Laura

In the garage:

United States

Model Year: 2001
Mileage: 81,000
Exterior Color: Laguna Seca Blue
Interior Color: Dove Gray
Manual or SMG?: Manual
Major Options: Xenon's, updated to 04+ LED tail lights, CSL wheels, CSL replica trunk, unknown brand rear diffuser
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Good (exterior 8/10, interior 6/10)
Any unusual items that affected value?:
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): Private
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: Ebay

Sale Location (City, State): Massachusetts
Seller Asking Price: $20,000+
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $19,000
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): $
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): Been looking for a LSB and felt the exterior condition and mechanical condition warranted the price. Made a trip out of it and flew to pick up in Boston and drove back down to Houston.
Jump to top Gary&Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-04-2017, 02:29:43 AM   #1575
deejayILLusive
SubliM3 Driver

United States

Wow, does anyone find it odd that there have been a slew of Vert sales and we're in the dead of winter? I had no idea there was still such a strong market for E46 Verts.
Jump to top deejayILLusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-04-2017, 04:39:31 AM   #1576
armenhart

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayILLusive View Post
Wow, does anyone find it odd that there have been a slew of Vert sales and we're in the dead of winter? I had no idea there was still such a strong market for E46 Verts.
Someone mentioned that you can get pretty good deals on verts in winter, specifically because it's counter intuitive. But me being from the los angeles area, that's never something I've considered lol

AKG | Ground Control | Turner | Achilles | Redish | Apex
Next up, once I'm not broke: STG exhaust, Bilstein coilovers, csl front/rear, cf roof, respray
I'm like Jon Snow, I know nothing.
Jump to top armenhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-04-2017, 02:24:48 PM   #1577
maw1124

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayILLusive View Post
Makes sense. I bought mine in December and got a great one for a great price. The prospect of the car sitting there for another 6 months is a motivating factor for dealers. That was six years ago, when red interiors were not in vogue. Now...

I know I may be in the minority here, but aside from ZCP (which required a coupe), I think the Vert SMG is the one to have, particularly with Imola Red or Cinnamon interiors. But I bought the car for Florida, so that may explain a bit.

maw

Last edited by maw1124; Wed, Jan-04-2017 at 02:37:58 PM.
Jump to top maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Jan-06-2017, 04:51:19 PM   #1578
British-mark

In the garage:

United States

Are you the Buyer or Seller?: SELLER
Mileage: 37,500
Coupe or Convertible?: Vert
Exterior Color: A08 Silver Grey
Manual or SMG?: SMG
Major Options: Winter pack, Smokers pack
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Excellent
Any unusual items that affected value?: No
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale?: Private
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: Craig's List LA

Sale Location (City, State): Marina Del Rey, CA
Seller Asking Price: $19,500
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $20,500
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): $15,000 !!!
Other Comments: On the market for approx 3 months. Reduced price from $28k to $19k before any interest. Sold with RE exhaust and rear Mod Bargains CSL diffuser, buyer paid extra for these. FYI this example was IMMACULATE inside and out.
Mint! 37k Miles / TPI lug nuts / Macht Schnell studs / Tein Springs / Koni Shocks / ECS CSL brake upgrade / RE El Diablo / CSL Diffuser / Storm Gear surround / AFE charge pipe / AFE air scoops / Macht Schnell spacers / Extended paddle shifters / Depo tinted sides / Black out grills
Jump to top British-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jan-09-2017, 06:37:04 PM   #1579
CTPJ

United States

Model Year: 2006 (Produced 8/06)
Mileage: 33,400
Coupe or Convertible?: Vert
Exterior Color: Silver Grey Metallic
Major Options: Xenon Headlights, Cold Weather Pkg, Harman-kardon Sound System, Navigation System, 19" wheels w/ performance Tires
Under Warranty? (if yes, please indicate type and remaining coverage): No
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Excellent
Any unusual items that affected value?: Low mileage, Condition, All records inc original sticker, Local 2 owner car, new BMW battery, 4 new Michelin PS2 tires,
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): BMW Dealership
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: Dealership visit

Sale Location (City, State): Richmond, VA
Sale Date (Month, Year): 11/16
Seller Asking Price: $24,995
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $22,995
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): $ 22,750
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): 1 week, stuck with my original offer price which was based on complete knowledge of what the car needed and the cost of the work, got a complete PPI from a trusted BMW master mechanic.
Jump to top CTPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jan-14-2017, 03:50:37 AM   #1580
jowo89

United States

Mileage: 58,800
Exterior Color: Carbon Schwarz Metallic
Interior Color: Cinnamon
Major Options: Xenon Headlights, Cold Weather Pkg, Harman-kardon Sound System
Under Warranty? (if yes, please indicate type and remaining coverage): No
Overall Condition (Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor): Very Good
Any unusual items that affected value?: Low mileage, Reinforced Subframe, Brand new tires
With Whom Did You Complete the Sale? (Private, BMW Dealership, Other Dealership, Auction): Private Seller
How Did You Find Seller/Buyer?: This Website

Sale Location (City, State): Dallas, TX
Sale Date (Month, Year): 01/13/2017
Seller Asking Price: $24,000
Final Sales Price (amount seller received): $23,500
Est. Published Value, if known (KBB, Edmunds TMV, NADA, etc.): Not accurate
Other Comments (amount of time in the market, successful negotiating tactics, words of advice, pictures, etc.): Spent almost 7 months looking for the perfect M3, ideally I wanted one in Alpineweiß, but this car came up locally and looked to be nearly perfect with low miles, it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up. Car is in near perfect condition minus a couple of scratches (expected for 14 year old car) and the sunroof shade slider being off its track.

http://i.imgur.com/mgqwbq7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZlA67c4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lape53J.jpg

Last edited by jowo89; Sat, Jan-14-2017 at 03:55:10 AM. Reason: pics
Jump to top jowo89 is offline   Reply With Quote