BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!

Old Thu, Nov-21-2019, 10:12:41 PM   #71
Quickquickslow

United States

Default Re: Spring rates for track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I was just looking at these. One of my ASTs started leaking and was quoted $1,200 as a starting price to rebuild all four. Was debating if I should just get something new. Curious to hear how you like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were pretty great, at Thunderhill at least. I had more rear traction accelerating out of the corners, and fast sweepers felt much less sketchy than with the HRs. That being said I spent most of the time learning the track so I wasn't concentrating on how the suspension was working. I guess the fact that I hardly thought of the suspension at all is a good endorsement. I won't be able to compare them at my home tracks until spring, unfortunately. Track season is basically over up here.
It was way harsh on the street -similar to the HRs (@ recommended track settings) but I softened it up quite a bit and it's totally tolerable now.
Jump to top Quickquickslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-22-2019, 03:47:52 PM   #72
Obioban

In the garage:

United States

Flat ride thread, since people keep referencing it:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601913
^awesome resource, imo. Really lets you dig into how your suspension is working, even if you're not on board with flat ride.

I’ve been on flat ride for ~ 1 year now, during which time I did 6 events.

I’m pretty freaking enthused with it—turns in better, recovers faster, easier to drive, rides better on the road.

During this last years I was running it with a CSL front sway and no rear sway. This winter I’m going to change that out for GC Race front sway with a stock rear sway.

My spring rates were previously 325 FL 300 FR 700 LR 628 RR, but to balance the FRC with the new sway setup I’ll be going to 350 FL and 325 FR this winter.

With my car’s corner weights, that gives me equal frequencies left/right and ~9% flat ride. The FRC will be ~70% with the front sway set towards the stiffer end (rear sway is unadjustable), but I can then play with it to get the oversteer understeer dialed in exactly as I want it.

Soft springs = more grip!
(so long as you have enough spring/roll stiffness that you don’t’ run out of travel, as that quickly ramps your effective spring rate to infinity)

My car is 3080 lbs, and 52:48 F:R.

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5, 04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Nov-23-2019, 09:29:52 PM   #73
ethan

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Flat ride thread, since people keep referencing it:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601913
^awesome resource, imo. Really lets you dig into how your suspension is working, even if you're not on board with flat ride.

Iíve been on flat ride for ~ 1 year now, during which time I did 6 events.

Iím pretty freaking enthused with itóturns in better, recovers faster, easier to drive, rides better on the road.

During this last years I was running it with a CSL front sway and no rear sway. This winter Iím going to change that out for GC Race front sway with a stock rear sway.

My spring rates were previously 325 FL 300 FR 700 LR 628 RR, but to balance the FRC with the new sway setup Iíll be going to 350 FL and 325 FR this winter.

With my carís corner weights, that gives me equal frequencies left/right and ~9% flat ride. The FRC will be ~70% with the front sway set towards the stiffer end (rear sway is unadjustable), but I can then play with it to get the oversteer understeer dialed in exactly as I want it.

Soft springs = more grip!
(so long as you have enough spring/roll stiffness that you donítí run out of travel, as that quickly ramps your effective spring rate to infinity)

My car is 3080 lbs, and 52:48 F:R.
Similar setup and reactions here. 3018lbs with 3/4 tank. Little more nose heavy than you, so Hotchkis front bar on stiff and no rear bar to hit appropriate roll couple. 350 front springs, 325 left rear, 300 right rear (rear coilovers). Battery relocation left a hole in the right rear necessitating the softer spring on that corner. MCS 1WNR on 2 clicks front, 1 click rear.

I'm a new track driver on 200TW, so you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, but every instructor I've had has been impressed by the car's handling and poise. It gives even me the confidence to play with the brake all the way up to the apex, and that makes the car a fantastic teacher.

Like you say, it's also far better on the street. My initial setup was 600F/350R and it simply wasn't appropriate for dual duty (even on MCS gear). And that's not just because it was stiff and uncomfortable - the rear is barely any softer than before. Flat Ride woo woo FTW.