BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E36 M3 (1992-1999)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E36 M3 (1992-1999) {Euro - S50 B32 321hp @ 7400 rpm} {U.S. - S52 B32 240 hp @ 6000 rpm}
Total Produced: 71,212 - Years Produced: 1992 to 1999

Old Fri, Feb-15-2019, 11:13:09 PM   #41
Nate047

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Car shipper from CO to CA

Haha awesome, that interior is so tits...!

Exhaust wise, Dinan is a good choice for CA. Looks nearly stock, isn't that loud, but sounds nicer than stock. Technically speaking as long as your cats are in place, the exhaust you have should be legal in CA (smog and registration wise.) But noise is a different story now with that new law.

Handling wise, are you planning on messing with the car or mostly keeping it stock? It can be made to act pretty much however you want depending on how you set it up. The hot ticket to neutralize the understeer that plagues stock E36 M3s is a square wheel and tire fitment front to back, a little bit of negative camber, and a heavy front sway bar which is counter intuitive because most cars understeer more with big front bars. There's of course plenty of nuance and also plenty of varying opinions, not to mention a hundred thousand parts choices, but that's a good place to start. What's done to the car so far aside from the exhaust?

http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
Jump to top Nate047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 12:49:50 AM   #42
mrbeverlyhills

United States

Funny you should ask, I was going to bore you all with some driving impressions; I took it out today on Mulholland Drive, a noted canyon track here, then on the fwy to heat the cats and then to smog. Just as I was getting back it started to pour so I bagged the smog and parked.
The guy I bought it from was a longtime BMWCCA member, 68 years old and an evangelical. No really. From CO, he was sort of cowboy glib: yep, uh huh, you betcha, sure thing. Not a verbose man.
I think he felt non stock items were a negative so he didn't volunteer much, nor did he seem to want me to think the car had seen any AutoX duty. But it has a Conforti chip, Konis all round, SS brake lines, front sway bar and feels like a different steering rack, but this last is unknown. Exhaust is non OEM and announces the car with some authority, still getting used to that.
In CO at a M shop I did all fluids( oil, PS, diff, brakes etc), all new cooling system, welded the oil pump nut, fixed a few leaks, all bushings front and rear, reinforced the rear shock towers and added baffles to the oil pan.
Honestly, the car is MUCH nicer than I could have hoped for; tight, no rattles, excellent paint & weather-strip, seats are barely patina'ed. wheels all refinished, new Yoko S drives (they are all square BTW per 95 specs), headliner perfect and engine bay detailed. Carpets were steamed and the interior smells of leather polish. 120,000 miles but he may be the only German cowboy because the thing has been anally maintained. Bucky Shickelgruber.

So at 5 and 6/10ths on the twisties the car is planted, turn in is immediate and will hold a line. Too soon for anything more spirited yet. FWY is a pleasant surprise, car pulls very strongly and surges at a gear change. Not sure why so many folks are after more horses, there is plenty there and torque galore. The 964 is a ***** below 4000 rpm. Not the case here. Followed a E46M along the canyon and he wasn't going anywhere till the straight, then a gradual pull away while I was flat on the throttle, so clearly the newer car has more grunt.
Anyone know a desired shift point in 1st? I haven't found the sweet spot in that gear; a Porsche likes it below 4000rpm in 1st, it isn't a drag car any more than the M is.

Brakes are awesome. Stupid question: do we have ABS? I am embarrassed to admit I didn't read up on that as I don't use it in the 964, modulating the pedal has proved superior to ABS at the track. I did mosh the pedal today and almost lost my sunglasses and fillings but didn't get to the limit.

If there is a better driver's car for 15k than this I would love to hear about it, I couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the helpful advice.
Jump to top mrbeverlyhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 01:58:18 AM   #43
westopher

Canada

Glad to hear your enjoying it. I'm always happy to hear people getting into these cars for the first time and being taken aback by it a bit. I still feel that way after nearly 6 years with the car. It especially feels good when it comes from someone with a dream car of mine.
ABS. Yes, the car has it. I've almost never had it kick in, in the dry. Even at track school.

98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 109k and officially worthless. 2000 323i touring, silver/grey/sport pack, 175k and officially boring.
Member journal. http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=491859
Jump to top westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 02:08:12 AM   #44
mrbeverlyhills

United States

^^ good to know, thanks. If you are ever in LA you are welcome to a spin the the Blue Meany, some nice canyons here you can let loose in the 964.
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 02:32:30 AM   #45
///M3_Michael

United States

Nice first impressions. When I first got mine I was astounded at how solid the car was at 98k miles and with a shot suspension. After koni / eibachs / camber plates its easily one of the most solid vehicles I've been in. 120 feels like you're doing 50.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2003 ///M3 6MT Slicktop | Phoenix Yellow | Black Nappa | Koni Yellow / Eibach Pro kit | GC Street Plates | 18" Apex ARC-8 | Fabspeed Headers | Fabspeed catted Section 1 | SGT Resonated Section 2 | RE El Diablo | buildjournal B-spec V2.1 tune | Infinity | JL Audio
Jump to top ///M3_Michael is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Feb-16-2019, 02:54:00 AM   #46
Texaz3

United States

That's awesome. I think we all agree on the handling.
Reminded me of this ad:
Jump to top Texaz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-17-2019, 12:43:11 AM   #47
mrbeverlyhills

United States

Barely washed but out for a spin on the first dry day in a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4659.jpg (151.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4666.jpg (175.8 KB, 21 views)
Old Sun, Feb-17-2019, 10:22:28 PM   #48
crqflier

Congrats, looks great!

Some thoughts - because that's what we do.

- If the clear bra is still clear, I'd leave it. Why risk the paint issue.
- Be sure your cats are smokin hot before smogging, like drive hard then immediate smog. Make sure the smog dude knows you want this so you dont sit and cool.
- Shift around 7000 1st to 2nd... or maybe about 3500-4000.
- If you dont like the exhaust get a stromung - local, light, quality, good sound, decent price.
- Join BMWCCA - LA chapter has great track days and generally participates with SD and Central Valley too.

Have fun. More pics...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Jump to top crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Feb-17-2019, 11:40:19 PM   #49
cypher448

In the garage:

United States

They have ABS but 95s didn't have ASC (traction control)

It's funny, in that Car and Driver 'Best Handling' test the M3 was only 0.3 sec behind a 993 Carrera S around the Nelson Ledges track.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Best-Handling
Jump to top cypher448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-18-2019, 12:08:48 AM   #50
mrbeverlyhills

United States

Getting used to the exhaust and the clear bra is hardly noticeable compared to some I have seen.
Good tip on BMWCCA, I did join and was amazed at all the great events near here.

I originally bought the car so my daughters could hone their skills while not beating on the 964 so much, he is a little long in the tooth at 160k miles. Having so many events to choose from is going to be fun.
Thanks for all the great input, much appreciated.