BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 08:33:57 PM   #1
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Default can anyone identify this weird rattling sound? VIDEO inside

I have this weird rattling sound/vibration that i feel like it's coming from the rear end. it always happens on the highway between 75-80 mph in 5th, especially if i'm heavy on the gas pedal.

anyone know what it is? i've already had all the Beisan vanos upgrades. i dont think its my vanos, and it feels like its coming from the rear.

you can hear it between 11-12 sec, 21-22 sec, 44-45 sec

Jump to top Maxima SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 09:07:29 PM   #2
TREMEK

United States

Default Re: can anyone identify this weird rattling sound? VIDEO inside

Sounds like a heat shield or blown baffle in the muffler.
Jump to top TREMEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Feb-20-2017, 09:24:57 PM   #3
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

Are you accelerating in a high gear? Downshift and it doesn't make this noise? May be pinging or predentonation .
Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 08:20:46 PM   #4
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMEK View Post
Sounds like a heat shield or blown baffle in the muffler.
I dont think thats whats going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznniche View Post
Are you accelerating in a high gear? Downshift and it doesn't make this noise? May be pinging or predentonation .
yes I am being heavy on the gas pedal in 5th at ~75mph. If im going a little slower or faster then it wont happen. and if i downshift it wont happen either.

Car has brand new NGK spark plugs and brand new Bosch coilpacks. could EGR or MAF cause that if pingin or predetonation is causing this? what should i look into?

Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 09:45:59 PM   #5
redline8000
M-Power Hungry!

That noise actually sounds like something coming from the engine, not the rear of the vehicle. It does sound somewhat like a pre-detonation issue or possibly the mechanical fan hitting something. It is obviously doing this at a certain speed/RPM so there is a certain engine speed and/or pressure that is causing this. I see you have your check engine light on as well....any issues there or are you just running CAT less headers?

Hook up a scanner and see if you are throwing codes.
“Everything is determined…by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust—we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.”

—Albert Einstein --- Quoted in interview by G.S. Viereck , October 26,1929. Reprinted in “Glimpses of the Great”,1930.
Jump to top redline8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 09:59:49 PM   #6
redline8000
M-Power Hungry!

Oh another thing you should check is your Drive Shaft Guibo. It is the rubber piece that connects the two pieces of your driveshaft. It is a ware item that will start to fall apart and deteriorate after time. there area about six or seven bolts that connect this piece together. You can get under the car and check to see if this is torn or worn.

GL OP. I hate hearing noises that I can not identify in my car.
“Everything is determined…by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust—we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper.”

—Albert Einstein --- Quoted in interview by G.S. Viereck , October 26,1929. Reprinted in “Glimpses of the Great”,1930.
Old Tue, Feb-21-2017, 11:52:27 PM   #7
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline8000 View Post
That noise actually sounds like something coming from the engine, not the rear of the vehicle. It does sound somewhat like a pre-detonation issue or possibly the mechanical fan hitting something. It is obviously doing this at a certain speed/RPM so there is a certain engine speed and/or pressure that is causing this. I see you have your check engine light on as well....any issues there or are you just running CAT less headers?

Hook up a scanner and see if you are throwing codes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline8000 View Post
Oh another thing you should check is your Drive Shaft Guibo. It is the rubber piece that connects the two pieces of your driveshaft. It is a ware item that will start to fall apart and deteriorate after time. there area about six or seven bolts that connect this piece together. You can get under the car and check to see if this is torn or worn.

GL OP. I hate hearing noises that I can not identify in my car.
the CEL is for catless headers. the guibo is brand new. I wonder if it might be my SGT section 1 rattling under heavy load. it kinda always leaks. especially on cold starts you can hear it rattle loudly until it warms up

Old Wed, Feb-22-2017, 04:32:18 AM   #8
redline8000
M-Power Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxima SE View Post
the CEL is for catless headers. the guibo is brand new. I wonder if it might be my SGT section 1 rattling under heavy load. it kinda always leaks. especially on cold starts you can hear it rattle loudly until it warms up
That very well may be it. What ever it is, I am sure it is not a really big issue.

Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 12:09:45 AM   #9
Maxima SE
445 FTW

United States

so it happened again today and this time it was very loud and i could tell with ease that it is coming from the rear end.

I do have a brand new diff cover with new oem bushings on there. could it be the new bushings causing this? also have rogue X brace and AKG 90A subframe bushings.

Old Sun, Apr-23-2017, 07:16:45 PM   #10
aznniche

In the garage:

United States

I have the same sound but never could find a solution. It's easily reproducible in 5/6 gears cruising and giving it gas. I just downshift when trying to speed up in those gears.

When researching this, found similar issues in the m3cutters forums which some say is due to pending headgasket failure..

here's a video of mine;

Last edited by aznniche; Sun, Apr-23-2017 at 07:20:07 PM.
Jump to top aznniche is offline   Reply With Quote