BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Sun, Nov-14-2010, 10:21:04 PM   #11
Modena NYC

United States

M3Tech - so the only way to play my iphone on my 2008 is through the iphone jack in the center console? (USB is not present - i just use that portion of the connector unplugged)
Jump to top Modena NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Nov-19-2010, 02:14:41 AM   #12
M3Tech
M Powered

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena NYC View Post
M3Tech - so the only way to play my iphone on my 2008 is through the iphone jack in the center console? (USB is not present - i just use that portion of the connector unplugged)
Yes, your M3 does not have the USB hardware modules or the coding to support the USB jack.
Jump to top M3Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Nov-19-2010, 02:25:18 AM   #13
elp_jc

United States

I don't want/own/use an iPod (cable still unused), so I'm not completely sure about this, but I think there was an updated cable, in case you opt to buy one. Don't know what the difference is, but search for the correct part number.

By the way, I use a USB, and works perfectly since I labeled the songs and arranged the folders the way I wanted, and everything shows on the screen. And it's never going to crap out on me .
Jump to top elp_jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Dec-27-2010, 05:17:02 PM   #14
TexasE90

United States

Default Re: USB Center Console and iPod Question- 2008 M3

Has anyone gone to the dealer to add the ipod interface/module to their car? I just bought a 2010 and need to add the ipod integration. I have gen 2 iDrive with the professional nav, but no iPod integration as the center console ONLY has Aux in and the glove box has the USB for downloading music. Looking for part numbers / cost detail / review of functionality (i.e. control of playlists, genres etc though iDrive).
Jump to top TexasE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-30-2010, 04:44:08 PM   #15
424D57

United States

Added the dealer option to my 97 E92 335 a few years back; ipod cable came out in the glove box and identifies to the system as a CD changer. could view artists/playlists/albums depending on view identified by which 'disc' in the changer was selected. Interface was a little clunky but could control selections from the radio/steering buttons so I was a pretty happy camper. I did not have idrive on that car but am under the impression its a similar setup; obviously your mileage may vary with or w/o idrive and being a few years newer. spent about $350 installed as I recall. Don't have part numbers laying around but could probably dig them up if your dealer can't track down the info.

-424D57
Jump to top 424D57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Dec-30-2010, 05:02:17 PM   #16
TexasE90

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424D57 View Post
Added the dealer option to my 97 E92 335 a few years back; ipod cable came out in the glove box and identifies to the system as a CD changer. could view artists/playlists/albums depending on view identified by which 'disc' in the changer was selected. Interface was a little clunky but could control selections from the radio/steering buttons so I was a pretty happy camper. I did not have idrive on that car but am under the impression its a similar setup; obviously your mileage may vary with or w/o idrive and being a few years newer. spent about $350 installed as I recall. Don't have part numbers laying around but could probably dig them up if your dealer can't track down the info.

-424D57
Thanks for the feedback. I think (/hope) you can now also add the usb+aux interface to the center console with gen 2 iDrive. This would avoid the CD changer patch. Trying to get some more info out of the dealer. If anyone else has added the iPod to a car with gen 2 iDrive, please let me know! Chances are there aren't many as most probably optioned the car with the iPod interface from the beginning. Bought my car used though and it didn't have it...
Old Thu, Dec-30-2010, 05:20:51 PM   #17
424D57

United States

Talked to several folks who've bought used E9x with idrive and haven't found anyone yet who was able to get the center console USB + coding added after-factory. Will definately be interested to see if you can make it happen.

-424D57
Jump to top 424D57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-05-2011, 03:30:05 PM   #18
TexasE90

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424D57 View Post
Talked to several folks who've bought used E9x with idrive and haven't found anyone yet who was able to get the center console USB + coding added after-factory. Will definately be interested to see if you can make it happen.

-424D57
Coming up with the same results so far. What's infuriating is that you can search on bmwusa.com under 2010 335i sedan and at least the iPod Interface Adapter (glovebox, PN 65 11 0 439 429; link). This does NOT come up when searching under 2010 M3 sedan. Does anyone know if the audio components are actually different between the two cars?

Also found on this site (link) which lists OEM (supposedly) part numbers for iPod retrofit kit. This was when searching by VIN.

Anyone have ideas?
Old Wed, Jan-05-2011, 05:48:29 PM   #19
M3Tech
M Powered

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasE90 View Post
Coming up with the same results so far. What's infuriating is that you can search on bmwusa.com under 2010 335i sedan and at least the iPod Interface Adapter (glovebox, PN 65 11 0 439 429; link). This does NOT come up when searching under 2010 M3 sedan. Does anyone know if the audio components are actually different between the two cars?

Also found on this site (link) which lists OEM (supposedly) part numbers for iPod retrofit kit. This was when searching by VIN.

Anyone have ideas?
That OEM iPod retrofit is not the USB/iPod adapter.

There is an OEM USB/iPod adapter retrofit available, but only in Europe. It has never been offered in the USA at any dealer. It can be ordered thru eBay seller RoverActive, though. It also requires coding that cannot be done at any dealer but at an Autologic shop near you.

The other possibility is the Combox retrofit, which several aftermarket vendors have done. It requires updating the MY2009-on iDrive to the MY2011.5 firmware first and then wiring the Combox into the existing TCU/Assist harness. That will provide a much wider USB/iPod feature list than it is currently offered.

Right now I'm having my 2009 CIC updated to the MY2011.5 just to test this Combox retrofit. Will post a full DIY in detail once completed.
Jump to top M3Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jan-05-2011, 06:58:55 PM   #20
TexasE90

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Tech View Post
There is an OEM USB/iPod adapter retrofit available, but only in Europe. It has never been offered in the USA at any dealer. It can be ordered thru eBay seller RoverActive, though. It also requires coding that cannot be done at any dealer but at an Autologic shop near you.

Right now I'm having my 2009 CIC updated to the MY2011.5 just to test this Combox retrofit. Will post a full DIY in detail once completed.
Thanks for the info. I have no experience with Autologic and how to find a shop, but sounds like that could be an alternative.

For the Combox retrofit, will definitely be interested to hear about your experience. Sounds like the basic premise is updating the firmware on your CIC so that it knows how to communicate with the USB+iPod module. Is that right?