BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 12:23:12 AM   #11
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

Just wanted to update the thread as I have some relevant information to share with you guys and some questions to ask as well.

Below is the list of P/N#'s needed to retrofit the auto leveling.

adaptive headlight level sensors front= 37146784696 / r= 37146784697
right side sensor bracket F= 31121094088 / R= 37141094996
front angle joint (1) 31122282404
regulating rod with extension (1) 37146752797
ride height sensor brackets (3) <-- gr///M3 what are these 3 bracket parts? Got any Part Numbers?

Additional parts that my local dealer thought I *might* need, again gr///m3 can you clear this up? He suggested two extensions/brackets found at the very rear of the car. Part Numbers are as follow

13 Extension 1 37146779669
11 RIGHT RIDE HEIGHT SENSOR BRACKET 37141094982

Diagrams to these parts is located here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=31&fg=05&hl=2

================================================== ========

My question to you is what did you do about the wiring? How did you connect to all these components? And where did the connection go to (the ballast socket, or the headlight socket? What did you do about the sockets/connectors/rubber grommets/ etc ?

===============================================

Now going back to how the drivers side ballast is suspended in the engine bay, here is a link to the parts on realoem

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...93&hg=63&fg=05

Obviously these need to be purchased

01 Bracket,control unit, Xenon light left 61127893034
02 Cover, xenon headlight control unit 63127832829

My questions related to this is what are the #3, screws in the diagram for as well as the #4 hex nuts(I only have one spot for a hex nut by my drivers side strut tower)? ? I dont see them anywhere in my engine bay on my strut tower for the #3 item (x2) screws to be screwed into as I dont have any holes there?

03 Fillister head screw 2 72128244154
04 Hex nut M6 2 07146961200

I should also be asking, there are two plugs that go into the ballast

The one on the right (closer to drivers side wheel) is obviously where the low-beam socket goes into, but what the hell is the other one on the other side? Is this the auto leveling socket? or is it the shutter socket? Whatever it is, what did you do to make sure water does not get into it? What are the part #'s to confirm for the socket that goes into the ballast, and the rubber grommet that covers the socket itself?

===================================

Last edited by parad0x; Wed, Oct-21-2009 at 12:26:27 AM.
Jump to top parad0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 06:07:18 AM   #12
Brian W

United Arab Emirates

Might want to PM Lightwerkz if you have any additional questions. Pretty sure he can answer anything
Jump to top Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 07:36:04 PM   #13
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

Quote:
My question to you is what did you do about the wiring? How did you connect to all these components? And where did the connection go to (the ballast socket, or the headlight socket? What did you do about the sockets/connectors/rubber grommets/ etc ?
Having done some more research cross referencing off of several bmw forums but mostly thanks to e46fanatics, ill answer my own questions

The wiring required is a Wiring Harness A (goes between the sensors front, and rear, up through the firewall into the glovebox cabin and into the lcm/lkm. This unit can be purchased from european (german bmw) , or from Ausfahrt on e46fanatics. If you would like instructions on how to create your own wiring harness contact by getting the diagrams/pin layouts/steps contact Ausfahrt, kneb, or ada. If you would like to read more on the matter go to this thread and read it from the start

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=272486&pp=20

Wiring harness B, is also required and it goes from the Lcm/lkm to the auto leveling socket on the headlights. Supposidly cannot be purchased from the dealer but can be purchased from some fellow fanatics or made up with parts from the dealer. Again, same people to contact as above, ausfahrt, kneb, or ada for relatively cheap. refer to the same thread for more information on the topic.

Also want to mention, when doing the auto-leveling supposidly for these 3 series folks their only alternative was to purchase a new LCM? I am curious if we have the same problem or if ours can re-use our lcm as our models come factory from the beginning with auto-leveling features? The unfortunate ones that had to purchase a newer lkm/lcm with support for auto-leveling also had to Flash them when they were equipped on top of purchasing the actual part. Another thing want to mention is if a used LCM is purchased, it is a pita to get the dealer to flash the mileage properly on them and failure to do so will result in a * symbol signifying tampered mileage on the vehicle (some dealers will not flash the lcm given mileage differences as reports have to be filled/submitted to bmw na)

the other question I have about auto-leveling, is really just how useful is it? ADA mentioned the headlights only adjust once every minute and not every second which isint ideal to begin with.

Last edited by parad0x; Wed, Oct-21-2009 at 09:40:15 PM.
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 07:40:11 PM   #14
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

Quote:
I should also be asking, there are two plugs that go into the ballast

The one on the right (closer to drivers side wheel) is obviously where the low-beam socket goes into, but what the hell is the other one on the other side? Is this the auto leveling socket? or is it the shutter socket? Whatever it is, what did you do to make sure water does not get into it? What are the part #'s to confirm for the socket that goes into the ballast, and the rubber grommet that covers the socket itself?

Answering my own question again, this appears to be the xenon shutter hi-beam socket. I am assumming from previous threads, this is the part# 61.13.8.365.348 (can somebody confirm this?) ? If it is which is fine, but I still don't know what the P/N# is for the rubber plug that covers the actual shutter socket? Anybody know?
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 07:42:47 PM   #15
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Might want to PM Lightwerkz if you have any additional questions. Pretty sure he can answer anything
Just PM'd him, lets see what he has to say.
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 08:10:23 PM   #16
MitchSF

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by parad0x View Post
Answering my own question again, this appears to be the xenon shutter hi-beam socket. I am assumming from previous threads, this is the part# 61.13.8.365.348 (can somebody confirm this?) ? If it is which is fine, but I still don't know what the P/N# is for the rubber plug that covers the actual shutter socket? Anybody know?
Yes, that second connector on the ballast is for the bi-xenon high beam shutter. You only need the center pin of the three pins - one light goes to pin #2 of the LCM, and the other light goes to another pin on the LCM, I don't remember the number. I don't think anyone knows what the other two wires are for on that ballast connector. The LCM switches ground to the middle pin when the high beams are activated. The "hold" coil grounds immediately and for as long as the high beams are on, and the "pull" coil is activated for a fraction of a second just to open the shutter. The "pull" coil is is controlled by a module inside the ballast. The "hold" coil goes through the connector to pin #2 on the LCM.

To make this work, you have to reflash the LCM at the dealer or a local shop. Then run two wires from the LCM to each center pin on the ballast's bi-xenon connector.

Obviously you found the instructions for leveling. I have not done it and I probably won't, but maybe I'll change my mind. The hardest part is running the wires. Four wires have to be run from the LCM to each light for a total of eight, then more wires from the two leveling sensors under the car to the LCM. I don't remember how many, probably three or four.

Last edited by MitchSF; Wed, Oct-21-2009 at 08:21:11 PM.
Jump to top MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 09:44:26 PM   #17
parad0x
E46 M3 Jet Black 6spd

United States

Thanks MitchSF, gives me a better picture on how the lcm powers the shutter, it sounds so simple to power though I guess it's just running the wire through the enginebay/fusebox that is the challenge.

Also, any clue on if I got the part number correct on the socket that goes into the ballast? And know anything about what part# for the rubber plug that covers the socket going into the ballast? I am about to go order both parts from bmw so Ideally want to be sure we order them right.

Also if you would know, when ordering that plastic socket that goes into the ballast, does it also come with at least a short lead going into the socket? or do I need to purchase little pins/wires and push/clip them into the socket?
Old Wed, Oct-21-2009, 11:07:34 PM   #18
MitchSF

United States

Sorry, I don't know if the part numbers are correct.

When you buy the connector, it will probably come without pins. You have to order them separately, and typically they come with short lengths of wire already attached.
Old Thu, Oct-22-2009, 01:34:59 AM   #19
JJangyver
Ultimate M3 Driver

South Korea

Last winter, I researched many many threads on couple of forums as I wanted to install xenon lights to non-xenon headlights.
I had all components of xenon headlights and was ready to swap them.

I visited 3 BMW dealers in my area and they can install them, but not guaranteed to work. They gave me quotation, $1,600.00 without parts.

So I talked a forum member on this forum, I finally decided to keep xenon headlights with HID kits. He is an expert for lighting and he sold custom harness wires and it works fine since Feb.

I talked to people that have done to swap xenon headlights with many parts.
They never recommend to swap them even though they made it successfully.
Because M3 is all same, but results will may vary.

So I recommend that you keep the xenon headlights and install HID kits.
The result will be very good as you expect.

If you still want to swap them, contact Lightwerkz.
http://www.lightwerkz.net/

Last edited by JJangyver; Thu, Oct-22-2009 at 01:38:26 AM.
Jump to top JJangyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Oct-22-2009, 12:43:54 PM   #20
LightWerkz
Automotive Lighting Innovations

United States

Definitely won't be plug and play, unless you are using capacitors for the low beam HID, and without rewiring up a new harness you will not be able to use the bixenon function.

I would personally go with the capacitor route, its cheaper and easier then going to the dealership.

I haven't made any harness for the bixenon solenoid, but there are members who have. Sorry I cant be of much help there.

This is why I would just recommend sticking with the halogen LCM configuration, and use the capacitors. This way you will have zero issues with the low beam HID and your factory high beams will work just fine.

2001 BMW M5 - Alpine White on Caramel
Jump to top LightWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote