BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 02:12:01 PM   #81
E30toF30
Registered User
 
E30toF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 578
Reputation: 0 E30toF30 is on a distinguished road

Canada




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCommie View Post
Yep, that's me. When I had the AKG the lean was the same. Here's a picture I just took of the RTD. I don't really notice it when driving. Actually I tried to straighten out the vents in the pic, and it makes it look like it's leaning even worse.

20180302_095725 by Rudy Tanov, on Flickr
Well nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Any idea why it does that? It seems odd to me. But maybe there is an explanation as to why it does this? I mean, does the stock one lean in the same way but just less noticeable due to the much shorter lever? Or did something chang/go wrong on the install.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Jump to top E30toF30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 02:31:51 PM   #82
CrookedCommie
Captain Slow
 
CrookedCommie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,056
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 CrookedCommie is on a distinguished road
Location: Cincinnati

Bulgaria




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Well nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Any idea why it does that? It seems odd to me. But maybe there is an explanation as to why it does this? I mean, does the stock one lean in the same way but just less noticeable due to the much shorter lever? Or did something chang/go wrong on the install.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
I don't think it's the install. I want to say the shifter pivot point is at the cage, so if you drill adjustment slots perpendicular (left to right) at the three mounting points, you can change the lean. Hard to drill a $400 shifter though.
Jump to top CrookedCommie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 02:57:32 PM   #83
SQ13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,405
Reputation: 0 SQ13 is on a distinguished road
Location: U.S.

United States




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

I think it’s because the tunnel is angled like that. Slotting the shifter to move it to the left might help, but you would also introduce tension on the centering spring when you’re in neutral. If it bothers you enough, see if adding spacers under the shifter’s base will help. My shifter works fine, so I’m not going to do anything about the lean.
__________________
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 03:44:02 PM   #84
aznbo187
XIII
 
aznbo187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,226
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 aznbo187 has a spectacular aura about
Location: West Hills, CA

United States




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

I have the same lean with my RTD when in neutral but donít remember having that lean with the CAE.
__________________
no.13
Jump to top aznbo187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 04:05:53 PM   #85
m3elmo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 443
Reputation: 0 m3elmo is on a distinguished road
Location: Campbell, CA

United States




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

No lean with the CAE. Not a big deal either way.

One point of distinction is that those that want to do the SMG -> 6 Speed Swap need a shifter with the lockout, so you can adjust the 1/2 and 5/6 gates. The regular one only allows adjustment of 3/4.

The RTD with lockout is about $790, CAE is another $200 or so. AKG is way less than either one. If going non-lockout RTD then it's way cheaper.

for value i'd go wtih the VAC SAMSONAS unit: Good value for money.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/sam...ons-p2997.aspx
__________________
Danny
Jump to top m3elmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 04:10:35 PM   #86
aznbo187
XIII
 
aznbo187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,226
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 aznbo187 has a spectacular aura about
Location: West Hills, CA

United States




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3elmo View Post
No lean with the CAE. Not a big deal either way.

One point of distinction is that those that want to do the SMG -> 6 Speed Swap need a shifter with the lockout, so you can adjust the 1/2 and 5/6 gates. The regular one only allows adjustment of 3/4.

The RTD with lockout is about $790, CAE is another $200 or so. AKG is way less than either one. If going non-lockout RTD then it's way cheaper.

for value i'd go wtih the VAC SAMSONAS unit: Good value for money.

https://store.vacmotorsports.com/sam...ons-p2997.aspx
Why is a lockout needed for a SMG-6MT situation? I'm assuming you meant for those doing the swap without machining and adding the factory springs into the bellhousing.

I'm actually eager to try the samsonas kit - anyone have this?
__________________
no.13
Jump to top aznbo187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 04:18:18 PM   #87
E30toF30
Registered User
 
E30toF30's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 578
Reputation: 0 E30toF30 is on a distinguished road

Canada




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
I think itís because the tunnel is angled like that. Slotting the shifter to move it to the left might help, but you would also introduce tension on the centering spring when youíre in neutral. If it bothers you enough, see if adding spacers under the shifterís base will help. My shifter works fine, so Iím not going to do anything about the lean.
Thanks for the input guys! Sounds like it's normal for it to lean if the tunnel is in fact Angled like that. Good enough for me. At least now I can stop thinking I did something wrong and instead enjoy the shifter!

I'm still very tempted to move away from the akg and try the rtd!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Jump to top E30toF30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Mar-02-2018, 04:39:16 PM   #88
m3elmo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 443
Reputation: 0 m3elmo is on a distinguished road
Location: Campbell, CA

United States




Default Re: AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznbo187 View Post
Why is a lockout needed for a SMG-6MT situation? I'm assuming you meant for those doing the swap without machining and adding the factory springs into the bellhousing.

I'm actually eager to try the samsonas kit - anyone have this?
You have no detents in the bell-housing. So the only way the shifter knows the gates is with the lockouts.

The shifters with lockouts have an allen nut that adjusts where 1/2 is and 5/6 is. Otherwise the self-centering ones just set 3-4 and you won't be able to locate the other gates.

Curious for the Samsonas Kit as well...very inexpensive.

Also I was wrong cae leans too. It's because it's mounted to the tunnerl and the trans is off a few degrees.
__________________
Danny

Last edited by m3elmo; Sat, Mar-03-2018 at 03:42:38 PM.
Jump to top m3elmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:29:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing AKG Shifter vs RTD Shifter in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)