BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E90 M3 (Sedan) | E92 M3 (Coupe) | E93 M3 (Convertible) (2008-2013) {Engine: S65 - Max Hp: 414 hp (420 hp Euro) at 8,300 rpm / 295 lb/ft at 3,900 rpm}

Old Mon, Mar-09-2015, 01:00:13 AM   #11
Paulo M

United States

Default Re: Anyone test M4? My M3 vs M4 Thoughts

I think m4 interior is much nicer than the e9X m3. I actually prefer my e46 interior over the e9X, at least layout wise. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the turbo engine and sound. Should've stayed with the v8! I'd buy the e92 for the v8, sound, and lower price.
Jump to top Paulo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, Mar-09-2015, 06:16:29 AM   #12
Karter

In the garage:

United States

Okay. I own an E92 M3. I've tracked it a couple of times. I have driven an M4 on the street and on the track. Here is my input on it.

The E92 M3 and the M4 weigh virtually the same. The M4 has more torque than the M3, by quite a bit. I personally think it has too much torque for how heavy the car is. When I was tracking the M4, the understeer was terrible with stock suspension. It was until we swapped to KW's and spent the day dialing in the setup that the car actually started turning properly.

The E92 M3 was more fun to drive bone stock on the race track. You are able to get the tail end to oversteer virtually at will in the E92. The power to weight balance is very good.

The brakes on both cars are extremely poor in racing circumstances. Even with AP brakes on the M4, we were still having issues with the ABS kicking in at random times. The paddle shifters improved from the E92 to the M4. I personally thought that the shifting was much smoother in the M4. When I would try to downshift in the M3 DCT at speed, sometimes it would not allow me to drop into high revs, and I had to hit the paddle a couple of times. In the M4, if you hit downshift, it's going to downshift.

So, as far as track driving goes, I'd take the M3. Street driving on the other hand, I kind of like the M4 better. The torque plays much better on the street for more scenarios. But damn do I love my M3. Don't count the M4 out, but if you plan on tracking I'd pick the M3.
Old Mon, Mar-09-2015, 09:42:37 PM   #13
Wherryj

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
I see 2 problems here.. beating on a cold engine right when you pull out of the dealership.. even if you let it idle for some time the trans and dif fluid are still cold.. then beating on a brand new, unbroken in motor some more.

Sweet.
At least one of the sales associates when I was buying my 2011 e90 kept trying to get me to "push it" on a new engine that was still cold. I didn't feel the need to get it up to "that incredible redline" that she kept talking about, perhaps because I didn't want to thrash a brand new, cold engine that hadn't even had a chance to get broken in and because the redline is lower than my current car. It seemed a bit anti-climactic. I was more interested in handling.
Jump to top Wherryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Mar-26-2015, 03:46:53 PM   #14
khanhdom

United States

I have both cars and really enjoy the M4 as it's my daily car. The torque is fun for daily driving with the red light.
Jump to top khanhdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, May-20-2015, 05:57:31 PM   #15
Devilzmantis

United States

Alright boys and girls.... Just wanted to update you. Traded my 2006 911 Porsche for the M4 Convertible. HAHAHAHA I know I didn't like the M4 coupe because of its Bulkiness. The M4 tamed it down with its slimmer top. The coupe just looked a bit "hatchbackish" to me. The Convertible is perfect. I was torn between Porsche 991 (2014 911) and the M4 Convertible. At the price point of 88K, I would've had to get a used 2013 with 20K miles on it. But what did it for me was the customer service and the carefree maintenance it came with it. The special Lease they had sealed the deal.

Anyways, I was ripping the M4 but I grew up as an M fan... The car is absolutely an instrument of perfection. Can't get any better at this price point.
Old Wed, May-20-2015, 11:34:34 PM   #16
ianmason

United States

Not to mention the S55 warms up SOOO quick compared with the S54 and S65. The lights go away within 2 miles of a cold start. I personally still dont trust it and wait a while, but that's been my observation after 600 miles of ownership.

I honestly don't mind the steering as much as others. I may not be able to feel the front like I could my other older BMW's, but it's still such a performance car. Granted I'm not pushing it completely like I did my old cars to feel when the front starts to let go. That's when I would appreciate the extra feel.
Jump to top ianmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-28-2015, 01:34:34 PM   #17
Bball23

United States

Bmw made a nice design for the m4 for sure. Looks so nice IMO
Jump to top Bball23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-28-2015, 01:41:46 PM   #18
M3n00b
2012 M3F Formula 1 Game Champion!

In the garage:

North Korea

I think OP forgot the most important part of this story. Pics of the beetle!!!!
Old Sun, May-31-2015, 01:03:46 AM   #19
BCJBMWM3

In the garage:

United States

I have a 09 m3 dct which i love, my dad traded in a 335is on the new m4 and has 4000 miles on it. So i got to drive it after the brake in was done. Its fast, you can really feel the torque. Doesnt have the same feel as the v8, but its still a great car. My take was that its not quite as raw as the e92, but still feels like a m car. And its amazing looking he special ordered the individual tanzanite blue
Jump to top BCJBMWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Jun-10-2015, 06:15:02 PM   #20
runnyeggsham

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilzmantis View Post
Alright boys and girls.... Just wanted to update you. Traded my 2006 911 Porsche for the M4 Convertible. HAHAHAHA I know I didn't like the M4 coupe because of its Bulkiness. The M4 tamed it down with its slimmer top. The coupe just looked a bit "hatchbackish" to me. The Convertible is perfect. I was torn between Porsche 991 (2014 911) and the M4 Convertible. At the price point of 88K, I would've had to get a used 2013 with 20K miles on it. But what did it for me was the customer service and the carefree maintenance it came with it. The special Lease they had sealed the deal.

Anyways, I was ripping the M4 but I grew up as an M fan... The car is absolutely an instrument of perfection. Can't get any better at this price point.
Congrats. I like the vert too. I think it is heavier than the coupe bc the retractable hardtop roofs are usually heavier than the coupes by 100-200 pounds.

How reliable was the Porsche?
Jump to top runnyeggsham is offline   Reply With Quote