BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Wed, Sep-05-2012, 09:10:40 PM   #1
spiderz17

In the garage:

United States

Default Zanardi wins gold at Paralympics

I thought this was pretty cool.

Quote:
Alex Zanardi just loves to race. But what he really likes to do is win.

The former Formula One driver took the Paralympic gold medal Wednesday in paracycling -- a hand cycle powered by the arms -- at the Brands Hatch race track, posting a time of 24 minutes, 50.22 seconds.

The victory capped an incredible journey for the 45-year-old who almost died in a horrific accident at a 2001 CART race in Germany.

"It's an amazing feeling," a clearly exuberant Zanardi said. "I'm really, really happy for the result."

[+] Enlarge
Hannah Johnston/Getty Images
Alex Zanardi called winning the paracycling gold medal Wednesday at the London Paralympics an "amazing feeling."
Zanardi celebrated by sliding out of his cycle and lifting it over his head with one hand and raising his other arm, fist clenched, to the sky.

It was unusual. It was on purpose.

"I'm Alex Zanardi," he said with a huge grin, his Italian accent dragging each syllable. "I always have to come up with something. I have a little bit of a big head."

Zanardi's journey to the Paralympics began at the American Memorial 500 on Sept. 15, 2001, at the Eurospeedway Lausitz in Germany -- the only American-based series to go forward on the weekend after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Zanardi, a former two-time CART champion, had had a difficult season. He started 22nd in a field of 27, but the car was responding well. He was enjoying the drive, passing one car after another, until with 13 laps to go he was in the lead.

Zanardi went into his final pit stop and the crew chief waved him off urging him to "Go, go, go!"

But as he built up speed to get back into the race, the car spun out of control and he veered onto the track. Canadian driver Alex Tagliani, traveling at close to 200 mph (320 kph), could not avoid him. The reinforced carbon fiber cone of Tagliani's car sliced through the area beside Zanardi's left front wheel and cockpit, the weakest part of the vehicle.

On the track, Dr. Terry Trammel slipped and fell as he raced to the wreckage. He thought he had fallen in oil, but it was Zanardi's blood.

The crash had severed Zanardi's right leg at the knee and his left at the thigh some five inches above the knee. The driver's lower legs had disintegrated like those of land mine victims, said Dr. Steve Olvey, director of medical affairs for CART at the time. He had lost 70 percent of his blood, his pelvis was fractured in five places and he had a lacerated liver.

But Zanardi was alive.

At the hospital, Zanardi's wife, Daniela, told him he had lost his legs. But that was only part of the problem. He had been in a coma for three days, his heart had stopped at least once, and he was alive only because of the medical response to his injuries.

Much work for his recovery lay ahead.

NASCAR driver Max Papis, who has known Zanardi since they were kids in Italy, recalled visiting his friend in the hospital, where Zanardi glanced at Papis' new shoes.

"He said to 'Look at the positive side of this. For a long time I will not have to spend money buying those,' " Papis said.

Pushing the limits, he began to walk again only months after the accident. Always tinkering, Zanardi used technology and his experience from working with elite race cars to forge a new life -- to adapt to his new circumstances, to learn how to use prosthetic legs.

"You don't know how many times I fell just taking ridiculous small steps," he told the BBC. "It was bloody hard."

Two years after the accident, he returned to Lausitz to finish the 13 laps, and later began racing specially modified touring cars. But he had many other races to run. Pity didn't occur to him.

"He's a lion," said his former teammate, Jimmy Vasser. "He just never gave up."

Zanardi thought of it as part of his destiny, just something that happened to him, said Chip Ganassi, who owns the team that Zanardi once raced for.

"That was like a speed bump for him," Ganassi said.

Zanardi took up paracycling to stay in shape. A hand cycle is powered by the arms and features two coasting rear wheels and one steerable front wheel. In 2007, he was invited to attend the pasta party at the New York City marathon that was thrown by his sponsor, Barilla. He decided that if he was going, he should take part. At the race, he finished fourth. By 2011, he was first.

On Wednesday, he defeated one of the best in the world -- American Oscar "Oz" Sanchez, who won a gold medal in the time trial at the 2008 Paralympics in Beijing and a bronze medal in the road race. Sanchez took the bronze in London with a time of 25 minutes, 35.36 seconds.

Norbert Mossandl of Germany won the silver in London with a time of 25 minutes, 17.40 seconds.

Zanardi knew the Brands Hatch course north of London would be tough -- he once drove it in a race car. To make things worse, he had a bad crash with his favorite bike a few weeks ago -- a picture on his Twitter feed showed a crumpled vehicle, its front wheel askew.

But by Wednesday, all that was forgotten. He said Vasser had called him Tuesday night and promised him a car for the Indianapolis 500 -- if he won the gold.

"I'll have to call him back tonight and say 'Jimmy. I got the gold medal!' ... How about the car?"
http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/...12-paralympics
Old Wed, Sep-05-2012, 09:53:23 PM   #2
Viceroy
Sorry 'bout the brains!

In the garage:

Cote DIvoire

Default Re: Zanardi wins gold at Paralympics

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for sharing

Jump to top Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2012, 11:19:45 PM   #3
Fastdog911

United States

without question one of the few people in the pubic eye you can tell your kids or anyone with adversity that you can do whatever you want.. I think this is the best pass I have ever seen..

Just amazing... if I remember correctly in his Sauber F1 test after losing his legs he was something like 4 seconds off the pole position and would have put him mid pack on the grid.

1970 911T Tangerine
1972 911T Albert Blue
1970 911E Ossi Blue
Jump to top Fastdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Wed, Sep-05-2012, 11:29:07 PM   #4
M3Dom

In the garage:

United States

Very cool

https://www.instagram.com/d_sicily/

Porshapwr:I thought every day was steak and BJ day?
Ghost : "She'll prolly suck your balls so hard they'll hatch"
Ben Z.;The Ultimate Driving Simulation Machine
LALaw :OP has been surprised by everything that's happened since the 13th Amendment
Cars : some verts some bikes and a 2012 veyron

Jump to top M3Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-06-2012, 04:38:42 AM   #5
Viceroy
Sorry 'bout the brains!

In the garage:

Cote DIvoire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdog911 View Post
without question one of the few people in the pubic eye you can tell your kids or anyone with adversity that you can do whatever you want.. I think this is the best pass I have ever seen.. CART Laguna Seca 1996 Last Lap - YouTube

Alex Zanardi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just amazing... if I remember correctly in his Sauber F1 test after losing his legs he was something like 4 seconds off the pole position and would have put him mid pack on the grid.
Holy
Epic pass

Jump to top Viceroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Sep-06-2012, 05:44:25 AM   #6
djm3
CSL (finished) inside

In the garage:

Philippines

Unbelievable dedication. There is hope in the human race (pun intended).
Old Thu, Sep-06-2012, 06:03:52 AM   #7
rave426
Kinda almost had a 3sum

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdog911 View Post
without question one of the few people in the pubic eye you can tell your kids or anyone with adversity that you can do whatever you want.. I think this is the best pass I have ever seen.. CART Laguna Seca 1996 Last Lap - YouTube

Alex Zanardi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ehh how was that pass even legal? He totally cut the corner. It was nice braking tho.

Awesome story

Sent from Tapabish
Old Thu, Sep-06-2012, 01:44:04 PM   #8
///M Rat
Brilliant in chaos

In the garage:

Puerto Rico

Zanardi was an amazing driver. I still can't figure out why such a noticeable drop from IndyCar to F1. I'm referring to his case in particular, not someone like Michael Andretti, for example.
Old Tue, Sep-11-2012, 08:54:58 PM   #9
CARVER
Modded

In the garage:
Reputation: 579 CARVER has a reputation beyond reputeCARVER has a reputation beyond reputeCARVER has a reputation beyond reputeCARVER has a reputation beyond reputeCARVER has a reputation beyond reputeCARVER has a reputation beyond repute

United States

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-n...5329/#48975329
Jump to top CARVER is offline   Reply With Quote