BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Wed, May-22-2019, 01:05:00 PM   #1
JoeCap

In the garage:

United States

Default Crank no start, fuel pump and possible relay issue. Need help!

Anyone good with E46 M3 fuel pump and relay issues?? My car (2001 M3 coupe with 156k miles) lost power and died. At first it would start and die immediately. Now it just cranks. I have it narrowed down to the fuel pump and relay.

I cannot hear the fuel pump kicking on during the prime cycle.

I checked the #54 fuse in the glove box and the the middle fuse in the DME box under the hood, both are good.

I checked the voltage at the pump. With the car off, no key in the ignition, I have between 4-5 volts at the pump connector. Should there be any voltage at the pump with the car off and no key in the ignition?? I figured it should be zero volts until I go to turn the key.

When I turn the key to position 2, it spikes to 12.6 volts as it should for a second or two. And then returns back to the 4-5 volts.

So should I have 0 volts at the pump connector with no key in the ignition? Or is the 4-5 volts normal?

Iím trying to determine if I need to replace just the pump, or the pump and the relay.

Thanks so much for your help!
Jump to top JoeCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Wed, May-22-2019, 01:08:14 PM   #2
ftapache

United States

Default Re: Crank no start, fuel pump and possible relay issue. Need help!

How old is the battery?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old Wed, May-22-2019, 01:15:25 PM   #3
JoeCap

In the garage:

United States

Don’t know how old the battery is, just bought the car a few months ago. But the battery tests fine. Before my last fill up I let the fuel level get super low, so I have a feeling that screwed up the pump.

The new pump is on the way, I’m just not sure if I should replace the fuel pump relay in the trunk as well. It behaves normally during and after the prime cycle (based on the voltage at the connector). But before the prime cycle I just don’t know if it should have 0volts or the 4-5 volts that I’m showing at the fuel pump connector.
Old Wed, May-22-2019, 06:11:48 PM   #4
sapote

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCap View Post
Before my last fill up I let the fuel level get super low, so I have a feeling that screwed up the pump.
Low tank should not kill the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCap View Post
When I turn the key to position 2, it spikes to 12.6 volts as it should for a second or two. And then returns back to the 4-5 volts.

I just don’t know if it should have 0volts or the 4-5 volts that I’m showing at the fuel pump connector.
With 12.6V at the pump and you didn't hear the pump running then it's bad.

Re to the 4 or 5V at the pump with key off, measure again from the connector pin2 to a good clean chassis ground instead of to pin1. If it still shows floating 4 or 5V then definitely the pump motor is bad with open connection (worn brushes???). The reason it might have 4 or 5V because this is a FET replay and not a mechanical point breaker contact relay. A FET has output floating voltage without a load on it in its OFF state.
Jump to top sapote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, May-23-2019, 11:11:11 PM   #5
JoeCap

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapote View Post
Low tank should not kill the pump.

With 12.6V at the pump and you didn't hear the pump running then it's bad.

Re to the 4 or 5V at the pump with key off, measure again from the connector pin2 to a good clean chassis ground instead of to pin1. If it still shows floating 4 or 5V then definitely the pump motor is bad with open connection (worn brushes???). The reason it might have 4 or 5V because this is a FET replay and not a mechanical point breaker contact relay. A FET has output floating voltage without a load on it in its OFF state.

Thank you sir! Thatís what I was looking for.

New pump is in and weíre back up and running. The relay seems fine.