BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Mon, May-13-2019, 09:42:14 PM   #201
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

Default Re: Intermittent Starting Issue-Complete DIY-Starter Replacement (Intake Removal)

about how long should one expect this DIY to take?
i've done the intake plenum before so know how tricky that can be.

anyone hosting the photos or vid from the OP somewhere?

thank you
Jump to top OldFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Mon, May-13-2019, 09:49:53 PM   #202
alexjames23

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Intermittent Starting Issue-Complete DIY-Starter Replacement (Intake Removal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanatic View Post
about how long should one expect this DIY to take?
i've done the intake plenum before so know how tricky that can be.

anyone hosting the photos or vid from the OP somewhere?

thank you
First time always takes longer as Iím sure you know. Took me probably 10 hours, 7 of which were trying to break the bolts on the back of the starter free. Having the proper tools to get those bolts off are crucial to a quick and easy job. You NEED some kind of flat box end wrench (ratcheting preferable) that you can stick between the firewall and the starter. If you have the proper tools, and you know how to take off the intake manifold, Iíd say probably 3 hour job total

2002 M3 Cabrio SG / Cinnamon / 6MT / VMR V703s / MR Strut Bar / Headers / MR Muffler / Autopower Race Bar / B-Spec / Turner Pulleys / GC Street School / Bav SS Brake Lines / CDV delete / GC Endlinks
Jump to top alexjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, May-13-2019, 10:47:23 PM   #203
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjames23 View Post
First time always takes longer as Iím sure you know. Took me probably 10 hours, 7 of which were trying to break the bolts on the back of the starter free. Having the proper tools to get those bolts off are crucial to a quick and easy job. You NEED some kind of flat box end wrench (ratcheting preferable) that you can stick between the firewall and the starter. If you have the proper tools, and you know how to take off the intake manifold, Iíd say probably 3 hour job total
thank you for reply. i was thinking between 6-8!hrs.
yes i have those tools. also picked up the HF adjustable long reach T ratchet.
one other question, i noticed some people changing out the battery to starter cable, that really needed often?
presently my car has intermittent starting after long drives when it gets hot. thought it was a solenoid internal brush thing but imagine it could be wiring getting hot and resistance down limiting current flow. but donít foresee any abrasion tonsuring having happened.
anything else suggested while down in there?
Old Mon, May-13-2019, 10:51:47 PM   #204
alexjames23

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFanatic View Post
thank you for reply. i was thinking between 6-8!hrs.
yes i have those tools. also picked up the HF adjustable long reach T ratchet.
one other question, i noticed some people changing out the battery to starter cable, that really needed often?
presently my car has intermittent starting after long drives when it gets hot. thought it was a solenoid internal brush thing but imagine it could be wiring getting hot and resistance down limiting current flow. but donít foresee any abrasion tonsuring having happened.
anything else suggested while down in there?
Nah you shouldnít need to swap that cable. Is your car manual?

2002 M3 Cabrio SG / Cinnamon / 6MT / VMR V703s / MR Strut Bar / Headers / MR Muffler / Autopower Race Bar / B-Spec / Turner Pulleys / GC Street School / Bav SS Brake Lines / CDV delete / GC Endlinks
Jump to top alexjames23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-19-2019, 10:01:31 PM   #205
OldFanatic
19 yr BMWCCA Member

United States

thanks all. took me about 4.5 hrs complete. ran into a few projects while in there.

something of note is that my Genuine BMW starter was a Valeo made in France. my oem replacement Valeo says made in Poland if that makes a difference to anyone. the Bosch ones i noticed were rebuilt in USA and needed a core charge.
issue solved i hope. can notice starter sounds better and turns over much quicker.
-SANS SUNROOF-
Old Sat, Aug-10-2019, 05:28:54 AM   #206
polar3

In the garage:

Canada

If I'm able to bump/kick start my car does that rule out a bad clutch switch module ?
Jump to top polar3 is online now   Reply With Quote