BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > M3 Track: Racing and DE
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

M3 Track: Racing and DE Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 06:43:49 PM   #81
Sandeep1212
Registered User
 
Sandeep1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,283
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Sandeep1212 is on a distinguished road
Location: Toronto

Canada




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
It's certainly not for everyone:



I bought this '04 RV for $8k. It had been sitting for 5yrs and I got it running and sorted. I need to fix the generator but otherwise I have about 10k in it. I partner up with usually 2-3 buddies and share costs. Everyone has there own beds, full bath, A/C, heat, refrigerator, stove, oven, etc. We stay at the track and it greatly reduces overall costs for the weekend. When I drive home if I am tired I pull over and sleep. It gets about 6.7-7.5mpg with 87 octane. Trailer is a 18' with 4' dove steel deck trailer, was bought used for $1600. Combo pulls the trailer like a breeze and if anyone has an issue with their car we toss it on the trailer and they drive mine home. And its nice if the wives/girlfriends want to come out for the weekend. Super easy.
That's a deal and half! Rv and trailer is the dream.
__________________


2003.5 TIAG Black 6MT Gone
2003.5 Carbon Black Laguna Seca Blue SMG Current
Supersprint V1/Supersprint straight pipe sec 1/ Supersprint X-pipe/OEM Muffler/Eventuri Intake/TCKline Single Adjustable 500lbs Front 600lbs Rear/TCKline Camber Plates/TMS Adjustable Rear Control Arm/Powerflex Black RTABs/Turner Delrin FCABS/ Brembo GT 6 pot F 4 Pot R/OEM CSL Trunk/ SGT 1 piece lip
Jump to top Sandeep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 07:01:48 PM   #82
justinpirie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 38
Posts: 27
Reputation: 0 justinpirie is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
A toy hauler has always been my pipe dream - especially for one of these ATC's, you can pull it with a newer 1/2 ton so (assuming you DD said truck) it cuts down on the amount of "stuff" involved in getting the car to the track compared to storing both an RV and a trailer.



http://aluminumtoyhauler.com/models.html


FWIW I have a Featherlite and even though itís quoted at 3000lbs dry it tows heavy with tools and spares so Iíd go for more tow capacity than less.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top justinpirie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 08:30:51 PM   #83
BlackHawkRacing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 289
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BlackHawkRacing is on a distinguished road
Location: Bergenfield

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
It's certainly not for everyone:



I bought this '04 RV for $8k. It had been sitting for 5yrs and I got it running and sorted. I need to fix the generator but otherwise I have about 10k in it. I partner up with usually 2-3 buddies and share costs. Everyone has there own beds, full bath, A/C, heat, refrigerator, stove, oven, etc. We stay at the track and it greatly reduces overall costs for the weekend. When I drive home if I am tired I pull over and sleep. It gets about 6.7-7.5mpg with 87 octane. Trailer is a 18' with 4' dove steel deck trailer, was bought used for $1600. Combo pulls the trailer like a breeze and if anyone has an issue with their car we toss it on the trailer and they drive mine home. And its nice if the wives/girlfriends want to come out for the weekend. Super easy.
As the kids say, #goals
__________________
Jump to top BlackHawkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 09:48:47 PM   #84
justinpirie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 38
Posts: 27
Reputation: 0 justinpirie is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
As the kids say, #goals

Finally paid it all off last week!



Mercedes GL is not mine but to be fair it tows better than my F15 and the owner has a M3 and GT4 plus our shared race cars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top justinpirie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 10:04:15 PM   #85
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,852
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpirie View Post
FWIW I have a Featherlite and even though itís quoted at 3000lbs dry it tows heavy with tools and spares so Iíd go for more tow capacity than less.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure - and I'm definitely talking about the *new* 1/2 tons with a towing capacity in the 11-12k lbs ballpark. Wind resistance is always a pain, but that way even with a 4k trailer and a 3k car, you've got some room before the trailer is maxed out.
Jump to top Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Apr-30-2019, 10:06:21 PM   #86
justinpirie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Age: 38
Posts: 27
Reputation: 0 justinpirie is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
For sure - and I'm definitely talking about the *new* 1/2 tons with a towing capacity in the 11-12k lbs ballpark. Wind resistance is always a pain, but that way even with a 4k trailer and a 3k car, you've got some room before the trailer is maxed out.


Good! Nice to have some headroom with tow capacity. Also allows you to stop to fill up gas cans before you get to the track

If I didnít need to tow with a SUV I wouldnít pay the aluminium premium and just tow with a truck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jump to top justinpirie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-19-2019, 04:30:34 AM   #87
Cincinnati Wolf
Registered User
 
Cincinnati Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 78
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Cincinnati Wolf is on a distinguished road
Location: Now in Raleigh

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

I have the F15 X5 with 35d. I pull my E46 M3 on a Trailex 8045 trailer with a tire rack. The diesel X5 is meant to tow. If I don’t use cruise control it is hard to stay under 80mph it pulls so effortlessly. I installed an Invisihitch and I’ve been very happy with it.

I hope BMW figures out the diesel issue so they can start putting them back into the X5 and X7. Same goes for MB diesels.
__________________
2006 M3 Coupe 6M, Japan Rot Individual, CSL 19" wheels 275 x 245 Michelin PSS, TC Kline SA Koni w/H&R Sport Springs, aFe Stage 2 Intake, AS 20% SSK, Rogue Transmission Mounts, Avin Avant 2

2001 M3 Coupe 6M, Carbon Black, EC-7 9.5-18 ET35 with 265-35 square, 4.10 Diff, MCS 2WNR- Hyperco, Kirk Cage, Racetech 4009WHR, OMP 6pt Harness, aFe Stage 2, Stoptech BBK, TMS reinforcement
Jump to top Cincinnati Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-19-2019, 10:38:26 AM   #88
SQ13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,430
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 SQ13 is on a distinguished road
Location: U.S.

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinpirie View Post
Finally paid it all off last week!



Mercedes GL is not mine but to be fair it tows better than my F15 and the owner has a M3 and GT4 plus our shared race cars.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How so? My mom has an 08 GL450, and Iím tempted to rent a trailer and use her car to see if towing is for me. Itís literally had $40k in repair bills since new, so I have no confidence in it.
Jump to top SQ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-19-2019, 12:53:38 PM   #89
Obioban
Moderator
 
Obioban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 38,551
In the garage:
Reputation: 54 Obioban has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
How so? My mom has an 08 GL450, and Iím tempted to rent a trailer and use her car to see if towing is for me. Itís literally had $40k in repair bills since new, so I have no confidence in it.
That's a lot of repairs!

I think trying out towing before you commit to it makes a lot of sense. Rent an enclosed trailer, if that's what you'd buy.
__________________

Current Cars: 2005 IR/IR M3, 2001 LMB/blk M5,04 M3 wagon, 2017 i3
Past cars: 04 M3, 03 530i, 96 M3, S50B32 e36 M3 CM race car
Jump to top Obioban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, May-19-2019, 05:43:41 PM   #90
BlackHawkRacing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 289
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 BlackHawkRacing is on a distinguished road
Location: Bergenfield

United States




Default Re: Best car hauler under 15k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Wolf View Post
I have the F15 X5 with 35d. I pull my E46 M3 on a Trailex 8045 trailer with a tire rack. The diesel X5 is meant to tow. If I don’t use cruise control it is hard to stay under 80mph it pulls so effortlessly. I installed an Invisihitch and I’ve been very happy with it.

I hope BMW figures out the diesel issue so they can start putting them back into the X5 and X7. Same goes for MB diesels.
Unfortunately, BMW has no intention of offering the diesel in the US going forward.
__________________
Jump to top BlackHawkRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:14:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright ©1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing Best car hauler under 15k in the M3 Track: Racing and DE Forum - Best mod for speed is learning to get the most out of what you currently have. Tracks and DE's is the place to start! at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)