BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.

Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 12:07:00 AM   #1
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Question Overheating before/after complete cooling system replacement - Help Request

'05 w/ 85k miles. Prior to replacing the complete cooling system there was overheating. After replacement the same issue persists. Appears to "want" to overheat only on highway when driving spirited (not saying WOT). With A/C now turned off and driving in traffic or stop/go traffic at lower speeds the temp comes back down to just above normal operation temp. So at speed is when the overheating appears prevalent and heater ON is required to prevent critical overheating.

Only overheats in the S.Texas late afternoon drive home from work (>95 degrees). Does not overheat on my morning commute (<85 degrees).

Less than 500miles ago replaced every part of the cooling system w/ new OEM except as listed below from ECS & Tischer (not just because of this issue, but feel this is smart maintenance for its mileage):

- Water pump
- T-stat
- Fan clutch
- Fan clutch blade
- Expansion tank kit
- Aux fan switch
- Temp sensor
- Radiator *Mishimoto*
- OEM coolant used
- Heater hose
- all new bolts, o-rings, gaskets, washers, seal's, etc

*also all pulleys, belts, and tensioners were replaced w/ new OEM + EVOsport power pulleys

*OEM coolant used w/ 50:50 ratio distilled water (also tried removing more coolant and adding more water to achieve "Texas Mixture"... still no luck)

* the only thing not replaced was the upper and lower radiator hoses because Rogue Engineering is out of stock for their silicone hoses (and has been for months); their next batch is coming in the next few weeks and I'm at the top of their list... but this is irrelevant because the stock ones are not leaking. In fact, the whole system is not leaking and holding correct coolant levels.

* A/C blows cold, heat blows hot

* no lights, no codes

I do not feel there is an issue with any of the new installed parts because as stated above, this issues was present prior to the preventative maintenance cooling system overhaul. I think the next step is to check for any calibration issues between the Fan Switch and ECU or maybe Temp Sensor and ECU - meter wires and also get real time telemetry.

It's only going to get hotter down here in Texas so if anyone has any recommendations or has had a similar situation/solution please let me know! TIA

'05 BMW ///M3 JB/Blk My Journal
Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R

Last edited by BearDeXPS; Tue, Jun-18-2013 at 02:00:34 AM. Reason: think -> thing, silcon -> silicone (derp)
Jump to top BearDeXPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 12:11:03 AM   #2
bzsbimmer

In the garage:

South Korea

Default Re: Overheating before/after complete cooling system replacement - Help Request

Have you properly bled the coolant system?
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 12:15:55 AM   #3
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: Overheating before/after complete cooling system replacement - Help Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzsbimmer View Post
Have you properly bled the coolant system?
Twice.

The first time when completing the system. The second when trying the more distilled water ratio mixture -> "Texas Mixture"

Dinan | Rogue Engineering | Status Gruppe Tuning | H&R | Koni | 3M | Umnitza | Turner Motorsport | TeKarbon | Coby | aFe | Bimmerworld | Schroth
Lang Racing Stg. 2 | SuperTech | ARP | Radium Engineering | Aeromotive | Dimple | Brembo | Racing Brake | Motul | Mishimoto | Redish | C&R
EVOsport | Michelin | Beisan | Macht Schnell | Lamin-X | AKG | BSW | Eurosport Design | Mason Engineering | Vibra-Tech | evolve-R
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 12:36:39 AM   #4
KINGAMR
Retro Schnitzer Junkie

In the garage:

United States

My car had the same exact symptoms last summer before replacing the clutch fan.
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 12:40:42 AM   #5
monochrom3
P-Car Noob

In the garage:

United States

Interesting... was there any air the second time? Perhaps hoses have cracks allowing air in, but then again, you might see a leak if that were the case.
e46 M3: TiAg, ESS VT450, Dinan 3.91's, Euro headers/cats, SS x-pipe, SS race muffler; GC coilovers & swaybar; Stoptech ST60/40; OEM CSL bootlid, Dinan 19's (sold)
997.2 GT3: Carrara White, no mods necessary (sold)
Jump to top monochrom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 12:48:23 AM   #6
Fastdog911

United States

bleed again.. did you test thermostat before installing?

1970 911T Tangerine
1972 911T Albert Blue
1970 911E Ossi Blue
Jump to top Fastdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 02:16:07 AM   #7
BearDeXPS

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGAMR View Post
My car had the same exact symptoms last summer before replacing the clutch fan.
Fan clutch was replaced.. as stated above

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
Interesting... was there any air the second time? Perhaps hoses have cracks allowing air in, but then again, you might see a leak if that were the case.
During the original system replacement the one damn thing I forgot to purchase was the fan switch... so when replacing that a few days later we lost some of the fluid. But that was okay because we wanted to go with a more distilled water to coolant ratio mixture. So yes, there was inevitably some more air in the system... which was bleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdog911 View Post
bleed again.. did you test thermostat before installing?
Prior to install I bent over to check the thermostat... everything felt good to me

seriously though, how do you check the thermostat prior to install? Never heard of that.

How many time(s) would you expect I would need to bleed the system? How many gal of fluid would you think is required. I've already wasted 2gal ($40+) in OEM coolant trying to flush this thing.
^^^that's including watching a bunch of it hit the pan after the last bubble was seen (maybe 1/2 - 1gal)

Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 02:33:09 AM   #8
eson

In the garage:

United States

Obviously not the reason for your overheating, but I have the EvoSport pulleys and they tend to make the car run just a bit hotter. Subscribed though, interested to see the outcome. Sorry I don't have much good advice -- good luck!
Jump to top eson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 02:41:27 AM   #9
JDayAU

United States

Install obd2 bluetooth connector and download torque application on the google play market

Monitor the temps that the ECU is getting from the temp sensor. I hate those dummy gauges cause they monitor a range.

My last car temp gauge was going crazy and once I started monitoring the sensor temps everything was good. Just a thought...

I have a old android phone dedicated to monitoring alot of the stuff the ecu monitors thru sensors
Jump to top JDayAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-18-2013, 03:03:59 AM   #10
Moosecakes

United States

Our gauges aren't dummy gauges from what I've read... my car will fluctuate between right past the first dot and 12o'clock position based on driving conditions. street/freeway etc.

But if he is literally overheating and throwing the needle all the way over, there is an issue.

OP, what I would suggest is flushing your entire cooling system again, 100%, rad drained, block drained, and then flush it. Refill the system with the OE mixture and bleed it again, you need to have NO fluid or bubbles coming out of your bleeder screw. Make sure when you bleed the car you have the heater turned all the way up and the fan up to ensure no air is left in the heater core system.

I had this issue with my old 330ci, it just bled and bled and bled and I was starting to think wtf is going on but it finally stopped and I had no issues. I hope this helps you out man.

oh hey, I know you said that you are 100% positive there is no leaks, but did you pressure test the system to give you solid evidence of no leaks?
Jump to top Moosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote