BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > Misc > Off Topic
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Off Topic Place to discuss this and that. Note: We also have "request to join" forums: Guns and Fitness.
(Threads/posts inside may contain material that is NSFW / offensive)

Old Thu, Aug-30-2012, 07:13:34 PM   #11
¿safxtacy!
Who are we?

Pakistan

Default Re: Windshield replacement. OEM vs Aftermarket/Safelite, etc

San Fernando Mission Road. $200 installed for OEM. No tax if you pay cash.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

Jump to top ¿safxtacy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-30-2012, 07:39:10 PM   #12
Rakshas

In the garage:

India

If you want to go aftermarket, we've had good experiences with PPG.

Although for resale, some people are picky about having all OE glass.
Jump to top Rakshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-30-2012, 07:48:00 PM   #13
e46Dawg

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshas View Post
If you want to go aftermarket, we've had good experiences with PPG.

Although for resale, some people are picky about having all OE glass.
PPG is now known as PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works). Either name you call them, they are actually OEM, which is better than aftermarket.
Jump to top e46Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-30-2012, 09:25:45 PM   #14
akaehr

The windshield cracked when my cayman was shipped to me (I will never use open transport again) and had them use oem. I would only go oem I think it is worth it just like I wouldn't skimp on tires.
Old Thu, Aug-30-2012, 09:28:40 PM   #15
trebm3
Gaming Elder

In the garage:

Bolivia

Just went through Safelite for a replacement on my E46 M3. It came out to $334 done at my townhome. Installation was done very well and the overall business model with Safelite was done pretty well. Setting up appointment was easy, all the correct questions were asked. I had 3 options with windshield ranging from $175-$650. Day prior confirmation call was made, morning of they called 20mins prior to arriving, installation was quick and all was documented well with lifetime warranty on glass for defects.

Would've OEM glass been better quality? Yes, probably. Does paying for the additional cost make sense for a car that is maybe worth $17k? Not to me but to each their own
Jump to top trebm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-30-2012, 10:30:33 PM   #16
Fastdog911

United States

my windshield was pitted from just being 10 years old.. replaced with PGW installed for 300.00 or so... it's a windshield and works fine with rain sensor. Don't over think this one.

1970 911T Tangerine
1972 911T Albert Blue
1970 911E Ossi Blue
Jump to top Fastdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-31-2012, 12:12:24 AM   #17
JuanK20
All Motor

Dominican Republic

I used to work for safelight. Like someone said in this thread, the installer is more important than the glass itself. The quality of the actual glass is not that different. The curvature of some aftermarket windshields and even door glasses can be off a little bit sometimes, but not all the time. But I've see OEM windshield replacements come out like crap. I've seen aftermarket glass replacement come out like OEM, like the car was never touched. It's really all about the tech.

Oh and FYI, most if not all dealers do not replace the glass themselves. They may supply the windshield themselves, but more than likely a company like Safelight is coming to do the replacement. I used to go to different dealers to replace windshields for them on a daily basis.
Old Fri, Aug-31-2012, 04:28:54 AM   #18
Rac'nmyT/A

My sisters 2009 4Runner windshield cracked from a rock that fell from a bridge overpass. Needless to say, it was replaced by a local company named Henderson Glass for 192.00. Not sure of the type of glass they used to be honest, but like some have already mentioned, it's key to have a quality install. We have used this company many times in the past for small crack repair and replacement and they have always done a stellar job. Good luck op

CarbonBlack ZCP/Cinn Interior
6sp Manual
F-235/35/19 R-265/30/19 PSS

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” _George Orwell
Jump to top Rac'nmyT/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-31-2012, 04:31:43 AM   #19
trebm3
Gaming Elder

In the garage:

Bolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanK20 View Post
I used to work for safelight. Like someone said in this thread, the installer is more important than the glass itself. The quality of the actual glass is not that different. The curvature of some aftermarket windshields and even door glasses can be off a little bit sometimes, but not all the time. But I've see OEM windshield replacements come out like crap. I've seen aftermarket glass replacement come out like OEM, like the car was never touched. It's really all about the tech.

Oh and FYI, most if not all dealers do not replace the glass themselves. They may supply the windshield themselves, but more than likely a company like Safelight is coming to do the replacement. I used to go to different dealers to replace windshields for them on a daily basis.
You'd think that after working there you'd know how to spell the name of the company... Safelite
Jump to top trebm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Aug-31-2012, 12:34:48 PM   #20
JuanK20
All Motor

Dominican Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebm3 View Post
You'd think that after working there you'd know how to spell the name of the company... Safelite
haha.. woops. smh. i was there for 2 years too lol