BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Fri, Aug-17-2012, 12:13:03 AM   #1
Original
Master

In the garage:

United States

Talking *** DIY E46 M3 Alternator ***

So since i was on a little budget this month due to school.

Tools needed:

* Allen Key
* Torx 50
* Small Philips Screw Driver
* Flat Head Screw Driver
* Ratchet
* Socket # 10, 16, 17.
* Extension
* Towel

1. Disconnect the positive terminal from your battery

2. Start taking off your OEM/Aftermarket Intake scoop & filter and cover so you have enough room to take off the Alternator.

There is 4 clips thats holding the scoop

4. Intake scoop is off.

5. Take off the side plastic pieces that's attached to the fan cover. There is two clips on each side that gets this loose. This will help you get more room at the end when you are going to pull the alternator off.

6. Take the cap off so you can get access to the long bolt that is holding the alternator down. I simply used a little Philips screw driver to pop it off and bingo you will see the bolt. Its a 16mm bolt if you have a breaker bar your life will be much easier compared to a regular ratchet.

Cap off

7. Below the alternator drive, there is a tensioner to get the belt loose. It has a black cap/cover just like the alternator.

8. Once you took the cap off the tensioner uses a Torx key size 50 i attached it to my ratchet and pressed down on it just the way i tighten a regular bolt. This will get the belt loose gently slide the belt out from the alternator drive.

9. Now you can take the long bolt out that holds down the top portion of the alternator.

10. Take the bottom bolt that is holding the alternator as well.

11. Use an Allen key to remove the hard oil lines make sure you put a towel underneath the oil lines so you don't get oil on the alt. It will be just a little oil but i still ended up covering the alternator.

12. Oil lines removed

13. Disconnect the negative wire from the alternator. Its held by a metal clip i simply took it off with a flat head and it just came off.

14. Disconnect the positive cable from the alternator. Its a 17mm socket see the pictures below.

15. After you disconnected the cables. You can start taking off the alternator by moving it back and fort depending on how old your alternator is mine was pretty easy to take out.

If i missed something feel free to fix my mistake.

-Thanks.

Register now and remove these ads
Old Thu, Aug-28-2014, 03:53:46 PM   #2
OBS_Lifestyle

United States

Default Re: *** DIY E46 M3 Alternator ***

I love how this has no comments or back and fourth convo's about doing this Alt replacement. After reading 3-5 different threads about replacing the alternator, in prep for my swap today, this one is the clearest, most concise and well documented that i've found. Well done sir! Hopefully this works out well for me.

2005 AW E46 M3 | SMG | Competition pkg | ESS Tune | CSL Fronts | Hotchkis Sways | more to follow.
@OBS_Lifestyle - Twitter/Instagram | ofbroadshoulders.com - Site | tumblr.com/blog/ofbroadshoulders - Blog
Jump to top OBS_Lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Thu, Aug-28-2014, 06:52:21 PM   #3
Original
Master

In the garage:

United States

Thank you!
Old Sun, Aug-06-2017, 06:03:30 AM   #4
Kalahari

United States

Used this DIY today and it went great. I have a CSL airbox installed and could not get good leverage on the Allen key needed to remove the hardlines. To be able to, I would've had to remove the entire box rather than just the front section. I found out the alternator will rotate down toward the driver side and clear the oil lines without needing to mess with the hard lines. Maybe a little tougher but I really could not get that Allen bolt to budge and did not want to undo the throttle body hose clamps. Just an FYI for those that tackle this in the future.
Old Fri, Aug-25-2017, 03:41:18 AM   #5
Chapelle

In the garage:

United States

Anyone know if you need to remove the alternator to install a new pulley and if you really need an impact to get the pulley off?
Jump to top Chapelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Jul-28-2019, 04:55:18 PM   #6
kingkhan

In the garage:

Canada

Not sure if OP is around, but I was able to complete this with the help of this guide.

The only thing I would add is that I was able to remove the positive cable without removing the oil lines. I also did not have a 16mm socket, and a 5/8" socket worked just fine.

I removed the alternator from it's location and used an impact with a ball socket. The bolt on my battery connector was a 15mm. The bolt on my replacement was a 13mm so YMMV.

Thanks again!
Jump to top kingkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Jul-29-2019, 12:09:19 AM   #7
Kalahari

United States

Just used this DIY again and it was just as helpful as the first time. Apparently the last Bosch alternator I got from FCP Euro decided to die after about two years. Thankfully I should get this replacement for free once I mail the old one back with FCP's awesome lifetime replacement...

Would add one thing which I had mentioned in my prior post, but thought a photo would help. You definitely do not need to remove the hardlines. Just rotate the alternator down toward the driver side wheel and you can get the 17mm socket on the positive terminal nut. I did have to remove the power steering cap real quick to give my ratchet clearance. Picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0667.jpg (728.5 KB, 20 views)
Old Sat, Aug-03-2019, 03:05:05 PM   #8
Min3

United States

Great DIY!!! Very helpful with clear instructions. The thing that snagged me up was the tight space with the stock cooling system and trying to get the belt back on.
Jump to top Min3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Sep-23-2019, 08:23:59 PM   #9
Original
Master

In the garage:

United States

I am glad this DIY has been helpful throughout all these years!

Cheers