BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>

Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > M3Forum Garage > Faults, Fixes and DIY
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

Faults, Fixes and DIY Please share your experience and knowledge with other members by contributing your own DIY, or by helping another member find the elusive fix!

Old Thu, Apr-19-2012, 03:02:25 PM   #11
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 detailed ignition coil replacement and spark plug replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
Thank you so much for this!

Three (probably dumb) questions:
1) I'm not very experienced in auto DIY, and I didn't really understand what you meant when you said I should have the battery hooked up to the power supply of the car if I want to do an ignition coil test. Does that just mean the battery has to be connected like usual?

2) Will it be dangerous if I unhook the cylinders with the battery connected and the car on?

3) Can I switch the ignition coils between cylinders with the battery connected and the car off?

As you can see, I'm very scared of the battery :p

Thanks a lot guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Try To Run View Post
I absolutely love how detailed you are... thank you. That makes me much more comfortable with taking off my valve cover and doing all of this myself! Thank you!
Thanks guys. The battery is not hard to disconnect. You won't be shocked provided you don't touch the two terminals together with something metallic while disconnecting it. Remember you only have to disconnect the negative terminal. I just do it as a safety precaution for all things electrical but you will need it to be comnected when you do the coil test. The car will be fine with the engine cover off and the battery still plugged in.

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Jump to top bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Sun, Apr-22-2012, 05:42:05 AM   #12
emanresu

United States

Default Re: DIY: E46 M3 detailed ignition coil replacement and spark plug replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by prematureapex View Post
Not an issue. Most people plug and unplug them with the car running to diagnose a failed coil.

I usually find the bad one with it running, swap it out while it's running, then shut it off, and restart.

I've found the new coil will not if you install it when the engine is running. Needs an ignition cycle to jump online.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08
Thanks guys. The battery is not hard to disconnect. You won't be shocked provided you don't touch the two terminals together with something metallic while disconnecting it. Remember you only have to disconnect the negative terminal. I just do it as a safety precaution for all things electrical but you will need it to be comnected when you do the coil test. The car will be fine with the engine cover off and the battery still plugged in.
So after I disconnect it, it's ok to touch the negative terminal? What about before it's disconnected, but the car is off (I would never do it, but you never know)?
Jump to top emanresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mon, Apr-23-2012, 01:50:59 AM   #13
Fastdog911

United States

if you get that far send out the injectors to get them cleaned/calibrated. Mine were way off and now it runs smooth…http://www.witchhunter.com/ lots of companies out there to choose from..

1970 911T Tangerine
1972 911T Albert Blue
1970 911E Ossi Blue
Jump to top Fastdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Tue, Jun-26-2012, 04:57:13 AM   #14
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdog911 View Post
if you get that far send out the injectors to get them cleaned/calibrated. Mine were way off and now it runs smooth…http://www.witchhunter.com/ lots of companies out there to choose from..
What's involved in calibrating the injectors and what's an average cost?

"The most difficult part of figuring out a car, the engineering, has been accomplished. Repairs and maintenance are simply dissembling parts and reassembling them." - bimmerfan08
Old Wed, Jul-04-2012, 01:40:13 AM   #15
gzip01

United States

Can we please remove the part where you suggest people buying the NGK DCPR8EIX Iridium IX spark plugs. Ive read many posts and how some of them break really easily. I would suggest only the OEM spark plugs as the iridium have caused me to break my wallet.

These were my results. I followed everything exactly.
Jump to top gzip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sat, Jul-28-2012, 06:43:37 PM   #16
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Did you overtorque them? Both plugs are made by NGK just as an fyi.

Old Sat, Feb-22-2014, 06:10:21 AM   #17
normcaldwell

United States

Appreciate the DIY.
Nice tip in step #20 to use a screwdriver for leverage in pulling out the coil pack.
Jump to top normcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sun, Apr-20-2014, 06:29:34 AM   #18
cell21633
Black Ops

Philippines

just FYI, NGK recommends against using anti-seize on their plated plugs.
of course, there are different schools of thought for and against, but this is NGK's recommendation.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf
Old Mon, Apr-21-2014, 02:53:23 PM   #19
bimmerfan08

In the garage:

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell21633 View Post
just FYI, NGK recommends against using anti-seize on their plated plugs.
of course, there are different schools of thought for and against, but this is NGK's recommendation.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf
Hmm makes sense. Anti-seize is not usually recommended for coated or torque-to-yield fasteners. I'll have to throw a note in there.

Old Wed, Sep-11-2019, 03:15:45 PM   #20
Robert's_BMW

In the garage:

United States

This is a great DIY, I am just letting the OP know that TinyPic is shutting down, so his photo's don't work anymore, just in case he wan't to move them to another site.
Jump to top Robert's_BMW is online now   Reply With Quote