BMW M3 Forum
BMW M3 Forum BMW M3 Gallery BMW M3 Reviews BMW M3 Social Groups BMW M3 Chat M3Forum Sponsors >>
Loading


Mobile M3forum
Go Back   BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X) > BMW M3 Discussions > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Tire Rack Buy Winter Tires Now!
Not a member? Register Now!
Register Gallery All Albums Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Calendar FAQ

E46 M3 (2001-2006) Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 04:28:04 PM   #221
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach
 
oceansize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 334
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 oceansize is on a distinguished road
Location: TN

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
This is another thing that’s significantly different, and likely to hurt long term values.

A significant part of why I sold our e9X was that I despised working on it. No part of the car felt like it was designed to be serviced.
This. I don't want something I can't work on. I know most consumers don't care about that aspect.

Do you all have any insight into what DIY is like on the latest M3s? Or is everyone avoiding heavy modifications because of warranty?

For me the enthusiast community is a large part of what makes the E46 M3 special. This forum is such an asset.

I went and looked at new M3, M4, and M5s this morning . I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Meh.... None spoke to me like the e46. I felt the M3 was particularly bland. I did like the M5 in the marina blue.
__________________
2003 M3 Convertible SMG w/Hardtop | GC Coilovers and Camber Plates 500/600 | ESS VT1-475 Gen 3 Supercharger | Stoptech Brakes
Apex ARC-8 19" Hypersilver | TTFS SMG Tune | Rogue Eng. Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips | Rogue Eng. Rasp Pipe
Redish Reinforcement Plates | Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings | Polyurethane Differential Bushings | Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register now and remove these ads
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 04:37:38 PM   #222
Paulo M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,953
Reputation: 0 Paulo M is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
This. I don't want something I can't work on. I know most consumers don't care about that aspect.

Do you all have any insight into what DIY is like on the latest M3s? Or is everyone avoiding heavy modifications because of warranty?

For me the enthusiast community is a large part of what makes the E46 M3 special. This forum is such an asset.

I went and looked at new M3, M4, and M5s this morning . I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Meh.... None spoke to me like the e46. I felt the M3 was particularly bland. I did like the M5 in the marina blue.
So you think the new m4 is bland, so your convertible smg sc e46 is what then? Or were you simply talking looks?
__________________
BREMBO BBS DIXIS
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 04:54:14 PM   #223
Texaz3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,261
Reputation: 0 Texaz3 is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
So you think the new m4 is bland, so your convertible smg sc e46 is what then? Or were you simply talking looks?

Man, just stop. Wrong attitude.
Jump to top Texaz3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 04:56:56 PM   #224
oceansize
Kwisatz Haderach
 
oceansize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 334
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 oceansize is on a distinguished road
Location: TN

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
So you think the new m4 is bland, so your convertible smg sc e46 is what then? Or were you simply talking looks?
Looks only as I didn't want to deal with salesman too much. Yes I found it moderately bland but not as bland as the new M3. The e46 M3 is my absolute favorite car of all time in terms of curb appeal. Now it needs a little lowering and some meaty tires to perfect the look IMO. I think our cars are simply fantastic. I know that is my opinion and like elbows everyone has one. Everyone has that car, or cars, that just speaks to them.

When the e46 M3 came out I wasn't in the same financial position I am now and I couldn't afford them and I refuse to go into debt, absolutely refuse. Today, I could own any of those cars (I know, I know its the internet and everyone is 6'4" tall with bleach blonde hair and surfs) without issue but they never have caught my eye. Honestly, I would buy a corvette before I bought any of those. I didn't buy an M3 for practicality and I don't care about backseats or AWD for my weekend fun car.

I'm not being negative. Everyone likes what they like and no one is a bigger proponent than me for people getting and doing what they want regardless of what every one else thinks.

I have no idea what your asking about my SC e46 M3? Are you asking if I like it? I love it. I wouldn't own it if I didn't. I love the Tiag color as well. It looks so clean and hides dirt and imperfections.
__________________
2003 M3 Convertible SMG w/Hardtop | GC Coilovers and Camber Plates 500/600 | ESS VT1-475 Gen 3 Supercharger | Stoptech Brakes
Apex ARC-8 19" Hypersilver | TTFS SMG Tune | Rogue Eng. Diablo Exhaust w/ SS Tips | Rogue Eng. Rasp Pipe
Redish Reinforcement Plates | Polyurethane Rear Subframe Bushings | Polyurethane Differential Bushings | Beisan Oil Pump Disk
Jump to top oceansize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 05:01:40 PM   #225
Ramp1
Registered User
 
Ramp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,212
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Ramp1 is on a distinguished road
Location: Guelph

Canada




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

I don't know that there's anything wrong with what BMW is doing. People expect newer tech and refinement in a new car. If you want an older car that's simpler and more raw (less refined), you buy an older car. I love my simple, easy to work on weekend toy (E46M) and I really appreciate my daily (F15 X5 35i xDrive) which isn't that hard to work on either and it's much quieter, and more refined and has the modern tech the E46 doesn't.
__________________
Jump to top Ramp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 05:59:42 PM   #226
Paulo M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,953
Reputation: 0 Paulo M is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaz3 View Post
Man, just stop. Wrong attitude.
M4 is bland compared to smg convertible e46 with additional added weight. Forgive me if I wanted a clarification on that. And by his response, my assessment was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
Looks only as I didn't want to deal with salesman too much. Yes I found it moderately bland but not as bland as the new M3. The e46 M3 is my absolute favorite car of all time in terms of curb appeal. Now it needs a little lowering and some meaty tires to perfect the look IMO. I think our cars are simply fantastic. I know that is my opinion and like elbows everyone has one. Everyone has that car, or cars, that just speaks to them.

When the e46 M3 came out I wasn't in the same financial position I am now and I couldn't afford them and I refuse to go into debt, absolutely refuse. Today, I could own any of those cars (I know, I know its the internet and everyone is 6'4" tall with bleach blonde hair and surfs) without issue but they never have caught my eye. Honestly, I would buy a corvette before I bought any of those. I didn't buy an M3 for practicality and I don't care about backseats or AWD for my weekend fun car.

I'm not being negative. Everyone likes what they like and no one is a bigger proponent than me for people getting and doing what they want regardless of what every one else thinks.

I have no idea what your asking about my SC e46 M3? Are you asking if I like it? I love it. I wouldn't own it if I didn't. I love the Tiag color as well. It looks so clean and hides dirt and imperfections.
Fair enough. I suggest driving an m4, you may even love it
__________________
BREMBO BBS DIXIS
Jump to top Paulo M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 06:09:28 PM   #227
EricSMG
40 something
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10,890
Reputation: 0 EricSMG is on a distinguished road
Location: San Diego

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansize View Post
This. I don't want something I can't work on. I know most consumers don't care about that aspect.

Do you all have any insight into what DIY is like on the latest M3s? Or is everyone avoiding heavy modifications because of warranty?

For me the enthusiast community is a large part of what makes the E46 M3 special. This forum is such an asset.

I went and looked at new M3, M4, and M5s this morning . I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Meh.... None spoke to me like the e46. I felt the M3 was particularly bland. I did like the M5 in the marina blue.
I can appreciate that. The M3 is considerably more sculpted and muscular and so that's why I much prefer it to the smooth/sleek/svelte M4 (not that the M4 isn't very attractive).

The M3's hips are massive and really jump off the main body lines. That's why it reminds me of the 46M, because you can RELLY see the wide body affect. The M4 just looks like a wide car without fender flares. I think it actually looks bigger than the M3 because of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp1 View Post
I don't know that there's anything wrong with what BMW is doing. People expect newer tech and refinement in a new car. If you want an older car that's simpler and more raw (less refined), you buy an older car. I love my simple, easy to work on weekend toy (E46M) and I really appreciate my daily (F15 X5 35i xDrive) which isn't that hard to work on either and it's much quieter, and more refined and has the modern tech the E46 doesn't.
Yep, and if you still want a hardcore visceral experience they still make that, except it's gonna cost ya.

I don't care that their mainstream models/lines have gone soft.
__________________


'04 SG/Black 6MT || '04 JB/IR SMG

Last edited by EricSMG; Fri, Oct-12-2018 at 06:14:34 PM.
Jump to top EricSMG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 06:16:16 PM   #228
Mr. Wolfe
Anti-Bling
 
Mr. Wolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17,352
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Mr. Wolfe is on a distinguished road
Location: Above Pittsburgh

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I can appreciate that. The M3 is considerably more sculpted and muscular and so that's why I much prefer it to the smooth/sleek/svelte M4 (not that the M4 isn't very attractive).

The M3's hips are massive and really jump off the main body lines. That's why it reminds me of the 46M, because you can RELLY see the wide body affect. The M4 just looks like a wide car without fender flares. I think it actually looks bigger than the M3 because of this.



Yep, and if you still want a hardcore visceral experience they still make that, except it's gonna cost ya.

I don't care that their mainstream models/lines have gone soft.
Agree. M4 is okay, but it does look bigger. The newest M3 finally re-created the muscular lines of the e46M with those flares.

Mr. Wolfe
__________________

2006 Interlagos/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT
1987 Turquoise Green / Imola Red 325is Mtech1 w/ M62 V8 Swap
1994 Porsche 911 Turbo-Look
2003 Alpine/Cinnamon ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
2003 Steel Gray/Black ///M3 Coupe 6MT (SOLD)
Jump to top Mr. Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 06:23:40 PM   #229
TheSt|G
Resident Curmudgeon
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 24,341
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 TheSt|G has a spectacular aura about
Location: SE PA

Isle of Man




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Yup, still not as bad as some domestics, but there's no denying that the finance department has been running the show recently
Technically the domestics(namely Cadillac) have been crushing BMW in dynamics recently.
__________________
Current - '05 Interlagos E46 M3 SMG Delete 6MT Coupe - 3337lbs
Current - '85 Schwarze 911 3.2 Carrera 5MT Coupe - 2550lbs
911 Journal/Build Thread
Sold - '13 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Sold - '03 Lemans on Lemans E39 M5 6MT
Sold - '99 Kosmos-Schwarzes E36 5MT M3 Coupe
Jump to top TheSt|G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Fri, Oct-12-2018, 06:31:03 PM   #230
Drewster
Registered User
 
Drewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,021
In the garage:
Reputation: 0 Drewster is on a distinguished road

United States




Default Re: BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Technically the domestics(namely Cadillac) have been crushing BMW in dynamics recently.
Dynamics, sure - but they still make you do things like remove 20 screws from a belly pan so you can change the oil, rather than put a little plastic port on there like an e46
Jump to top Drewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
M3Forum.com and M3forum.net is in no way sponsored, endorsed or affiliated by or with BMW NA / BMW AG or any of it's subsidiaries or vendors.
BMW and M3 (E90 M3 | E92 M3 | E93 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | E30 M3) are registered trademarks of BMW AG.
M3Forum Terms of Service
Copyright 1999-2017 M3Forum.com
Discussing BMW upset with E46 M3 enthusiasts in the E46 M3 (2001-2006) Forum - Engine: S54 - Max Hp: 333 hp at 7,900 rpm / 262 lb/ft at 4,900 rpm
Total Produced: 45,000+ - Years Produced: 2001 to 2006. at BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3 | F80/X)